SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question Newbie Question: Media Extender

I'm considering building a multi-tuner SageTV system for my brother-in-law and father-in-law to replace their two Moxi DVR boxes (each being dual-tuner.) They both record and watch TV independently in different rooms, so I would either build two SageTV boxes, or build one and add a Media Extender. So, concerning the Media Extender:

How is the picture quality of the Media Extender?

Can the Media Extender be used "effectively" for "primary" viewing on a 36" tube TV?

How is the response time on the remote? Is there noticable lag?

How are the "Program Guide" and "SageTV Recordings" listings handled? Are they independent ie: displaying recordings grouped for each TV, or are they "pooled" such that both TV's see everything recorded?

If they are "pooled", is there a way to "group" recordings by "location"?

Thanks!

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
I'm considering building a multi-tuner SageTV system for my brother-in-law and father-in-law to replace their two Moxi DVR boxes (each being dual-tuner.) They both record and watch TV independently in different rooms, so I would either build two SageTV boxes, or build one and add a Media Extender. So, concerning the Media Extender:

How is the picture quality of the Media Extender?

Can the Media Extender be used "effectively" for "primary" viewing on a 36" tube TV?
It does SD only - but the SD quality is just as good as my old DirecTivo was - I cannot see a difference in quality at all. Yes it can, I don't even have one of my Sat receivers in the same room as my TV, they are all by the PC so all of my TV viewing is going through an MVP. My brother actually uses his MVP on a 60" older 4:3 RPTV and the quality is fine there too.

Quote:
How is the response time on the remote? Is there noticable lag?
The reposnce time is good. I do notice a hiccup once in a while where it will just freeze for a few seconds, but over all I am very happy with it.

Quote:
How are the "Program Guide" and "SageTV Recordings" listings handled? Are they independent ie: displaying recordings grouped for each TV, or are they "pooled" such that both TV's see everything recorded?

If they are "pooled", is there a way to "group" recordings by "location"?
They are pooled and cannot be grouped by location, but can be grouped by show name.

Last edited by dbfresh23; 08-30-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
How are the "Program Guide" listings handled?
Once you get use to SageTV and start to add plugins you might consider my Favorite Channel List plugin for custom arrangements of channels in the program guide.

BobP.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Sage Expert

I'd recommend getting 2 extenders. the extender is a really good way to watch TV.

Biggest benefit that I notice is the smooth ff/rw.

I had been using Tivo and directivo since Dec 99 and only switched to Sage about 1 1/2 months ago. Very happy overall and am very happy with the extenders.

JUST DON'T GO WIRELESS.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

You should be aware that there seems to be a "dark picture" quality to the MVP. I am not sure if its all of them, it probably is, but I could not get the picture really right (as good as a directv STB plugged in directly) until I plugged my MVP into my VCR. You can get the picture pretty close by adjusting the TV settings and encoder settings, but its a heck of a lot easier if you have a VCR or DVD player with a video input.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelofDeth
You should be aware that there seems to be a "dark picture" quality to the MVP. I am not sure if its all of them, it probably is, but I could not get the picture really right (as good as a directv STB plugged in directly) until I plugged my MVP into my VCR. You can get the picture pretty close by adjusting the TV settings and encoder settings, but its a heck of a lot easier if you have a VCR or DVD player with a video input.
Some of them have that problem, but not all of them.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Some of them have that problem, but not all of them.
Interesting. Do new ones still have this problem or is Hauppage randomly making some that work and some that don't?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know if anybody has ever been able to determine why some have the "dark issue" and some do not. I own two, one is ancient and one is a brand new unit - neither have the issue. I've read threads where people with and without the problem were comparing setups and there was no consistent pattern. The issue seems to be dependent on the MVP as well as the TV.

I love my MVPs and so do the wife and kids. Great MVP support is THE feature that made me choose Sage.

This forum has some interesting MVP related posts - http://forums.gbpvr.com/forumdisplay...aysprune=&f=12

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I do love my MVP. SageTV's excellent support of it is why I am using SageTV in the first place. But, if I plug the MVP directly into my TV, vs through the VCR, the difference is like night and day, and the VCRs day output looks so much better.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Your setup demonstrates the issue. Some TVs do not like the output signal from the MVP and to others it is just fine. In your case the TV does not like what the MVP outputs but send the MVP signal to the VCR, then send the VCR output to the TV and viola, the TV likes that just fine.

There was a thread somewhere where a brave soul claimed he fixed the "dark issue" by desoldering a resistor from the MVP circuit board. He theorized that the MVP signal was too weak for some TVs while other TVs compensated for the weak signal and produced "normal" video. I personally find this explanation questionable since it would be easy for Hauppauge to debug and fix that type of issue.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.