SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

FSE on Secondary Monitor - Possible?

Is it possible to run Sage in FSE on the second monitor? I just built a computer for my parents with the intention that they use it as a main computer for email, etc, but also use it as a SageTV system attached to their Plasma in the other room.

I got it all working but when I do full screen with FSE enabled, Sage jumps to the primary LCD monitor. If I take off FSE then it stays on the secondary monitor. I saw an older post (http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15257) that says that FSE will only work on the primary monitor, is this still the case?

If this is a limitation, is it a limitation by Sage or by DirectX or Nividia, or something else?

Thanks again for the help,
Flips
Old 09-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

DirectX works best on the primary monitor, but you can change which one is the primary -- right click on the Windows desktop, select Properties, choose the Settings tab, then mark which one should be the primary monitor. You can drag the task bar to whichever monitor you want, btw.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

The reason that I wanted to keep the LCD as the primary was so all the windows and message boxes would open on the LCD display. But now that I think about it, maybe I could just move the task bar and then use nview to make all the applications and windows open on the secondary monitor. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks,
Flips
Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

There used to be a limitation that if DirectX was beign used in full screen mode, the non active (or in this case email, messages monitor) was blacked out. Used to happen alot with games.

Not sure if this still applies though. There will be some performance decreases by running dual monitor though. Twice the effort on video memory for frame buffers and such.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips
The reason that I wanted to keep the LCD as the primary was so all the windows and message boxes would open on the LCD display. But now that I think about it, maybe I could just move the task bar and then use nview to make all the applications and windows open on the secondary monitor. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks,
Flips
I have my setup configured like this and it works perfectly... There are some windows that don't behave according to those settings, but most do.

And both monitors work fine like this (tv & monitor)... No blacked out screens. And theperformance is the same as when I run only the tv.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'd be happy if FSE worked correctly on the primary monitor. Seems to work as long as you don't toggle between full screen and windowed. This is supposed to be fixed in 5.1, from what the Sage tech support tells me.