SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

How do I delete a future episode of a favorite

When I look at my Recording Schedule I see everything that's going to be recorded. Now I have a favorite to record Seinfeld. So tonight there are 3 episodes being recorded. When I coose one to delte I cannot for the life of me find how to delte that one episode from being recorded. I highlight the show and go into recording options and all I have is Record this show (which I don't understand why it saya this when it's already going to be recorded), Remove this favorite (but I don't want to remove the favorite). How can I delete 1 episode of a favorite?

Thanks for the help

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 09-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Set it as watched and it wont record.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:13 PM
SageTVaholic

You can set the 'Watched' flag for that episode and it will then be automatically removed from the schedule, never to be recorded again. (It usually takes a few minutes for the schedule to update)

Aloha,
Mike

Edit: Beat to the punch!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Wow, that's the only way. You would figure there would be a "delete" option. It's so simple to have one. But maybe it will be in a future release.

Thanks

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefino
Wow, that's the only way. You would figure there would be a "delete" option. It's so simple to have one. But maybe it will be in a future release.

Thanks
When recording favorites, Sage is in complete control of the scheduling for that show within the constraints you chose when you first set up the favorite. Sage attempts to schedule the recording times to minimize any potential conflicts. Basically I see 3 scenarios.

1. Sage is recording the 3 episodes and there is a recording conflict.
Solution: Use the confilct management screen to resolve the conflict and not record the show in question. I believe it would be added to the schedule again the next time it appears in the guide at some future date.

2. Sage is recording the 3 episodes and you have not seen any of them. There are no conflicts.
Solution: Let sage record all of the shows.

3. Sage is recording the 3 episodes and you know you have already seen one so you don't want to record it.
Solution: Mark the show as Watched. Sage will remove it permanently from the schedule. You can always manually record that episode or clear the Watched status if you ever decide you want sage to automatically record it again in the future.

If you are having conflicts, one thing you might want to try is to increase the scheduling look-ahead. I believe the default is 3 days. I set mine to 14 days, so there are more potential airings for sage to choose from when scheduling recordings. Just a thought.

Edit: With 5 tuners, I'm guessing conflicts aren't really a problem for you.

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 09-19-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Thanks
I think Sage probably doesn't have that "feature" because it's not really how Sage is designed. What would it do if you deleted it from the recording list? Would it never record the show or wait and record it later. If so how long should it wait before it tries to record it again? For example Sci-Fi Fridays, the same show comes on 2-3 times on the same night. If you have a show setup as a favorite why would you not want it to record an episode? The usual reasons would be a conflict that causes another recording not to be scheduled, in which case just use the conflict manager. Another common reason would be you've seen it before so you'd mark it as watched. Personally I don't see why you wouldn't want a favorite to record if there are no conflicts and you haven't seen it.

I'm not dismissing the feature or saying Sage shouldn't have it. Just that Sage is designed more for automation and recording every episode of the shows you like and less for manually controlling every aspect of recording.

Last edited by blade; 09-19-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

How do you change the scheduling look-ahead?

Thanks

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
How do you change the scheduling look-ahead?

Thanks
Check out the first 3 posts here. That should get you going. Now that I've looked at the thread, it looks like sage already goes beyond 3 days when attempting to resolve a conflict. But I still prefer seeing the full schedule out to 14 days.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-20-2006, 06:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Question Can'd stop or delete a currently recording Favorite

I set up a Favorite to record "Start Trek: The Next Generation" off of Spike TV only, keeping 5 episodes. My wife and I came home from work, and looked in SageTV Recordings and found that SagerTV had, in fact, recorded five ST:TNG episodes. So far, so good.

After reviewing the episode descriptions, we determined that we had no desire to watch three of the episodes. So, I highlighted the first episode, pressed the "OK" button, selected "Delete this recording", and the recording deleted as expected. I did the same with the second, recording, and it deleted. I did the same with the third recording, but because it was currently recording, there was no "Delete this recording" option. In fact, there was no "Stop recording" option. Pressing the "Stop" button simply stopped playback. I went through menu after menu after menu, and could find absolutely no way to stop the currently recording favorite.

I later installed the enhanced Stop Plugin, tested it on a currently recording Favorite, and it exhibited the same behavior: No way to stop a currently recording Favorite.

Instead of deleting, would it ahve been better to just flag episodes we don't want to view (including the currently recording Favorite) as "Watched" and let SageTV handle the deleting as it records additional episodes?

How would you typically handle this scenario?

Also, if I wanted to change channels while this Favorite was recording (assuming I had no other available source) what would happen?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

I now understand what SageTV is doing and why, but what about the scenario where it is currently recording a Favorite? I could not figure out how to stop or delete it. Would I just flag it as "Watched" and then be able to stop it?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
I now understand what SageTV is doing and why, but what about the scenario where it is currently recording a Favorite? I could not figure out how to stop or delete it. Would I just flag it as "Watched" and then be able to stop it?
When it is currently recording just set it as watched and it will stop recording and delete the partial after a few seconds or minutes.

If you have no desire to ever watch the 3 already recorded episodes you deleted you should have set them as watched. You could then manually delete or wait and let Sage do it depending on how you have things setup.

Basically Sage tries to record every episode of your favorites and thinks you want to watch them at some point. So after an episode is deleted Sage will keep recording it until you eventually watch it or at least tell Sage it has been watched. Marking them as do not like will keep Sage from thinking you liked them when it's finding shows for IR.

Last edited by blade; 09-20-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Crystal clear now!

Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
When it is currently recording just set it as watched and it will stop recording and delete the partial after a few seconds or minutes.
I found this thread while looking for a way to stop a currently recording favorite.

The functionality of being able to stop a currently recording favorite or cancel the recording of a single future episode of a favorite is not illogical. In fact, BeyondTV (from which I am a recent convert) has this exact functionality, and it handles it very elegantly (both situations). I am glad to see there is a workaround in Sage, but it's not nearly as good as the BTV behavior (sorry if that's blasphemy on this forum ).
Old 10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro
I found this thread while looking for a way to stop a currently recording favorite.

The functionality of being able to stop a currently recording favorite or cancel the recording of a single future episode of a favorite is not illogical. In fact, BeyondTV (from which I am a recent convert) has this exact functionality, and it handles it very elegantly (both situations). I am glad to see there is a workaround in Sage, but it's not nearly as good as the BTV behavior (sorry if that's blasphemy on this forum ).
I've never used BTV, can you explain how it handles it?

I don't really see how Sage handles it is a "work around." It makes complete sense when you consider how Sage is setup and designed to work. Maybe I'm missing something though.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro
The functionality of being able to stop a currently recording favorite or cancel the recording of a single future episode of a favorite is not illogical.
Think about it differently.... Why don't you want to record it?

Because you have already seen it -> set watched
Because you have heard that it is a rubbish episode and don't want to waste disk space on it -> set dont like
Because you want to record something else -> manually record the something else.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think nielm is correct in that it is about how you think about it. But the problem I see is that many viewers don't take the time to assess the reason behind their choices. For example, nielm's logical explanation absolutely makes sense, but consider the case where you turn on the TV, see what's recording, and then say, "Nope, don't want to see it, so stop recording." Is there a logical reason "why" you want to stop/delete the recording? Yes, but the reality is that many viewers want a simple, one-button approach to such a decision. Yes, you absolutely lose the "granularity of control" that SageTV offers, but you gain the simplicity of simply stopping a show from recording. Will it affect future Favorite recordings? Probably. Do many viewers care? I'd say that while viewers are "in the moment" many just want to stop the recording, and not have to worry about the ramifications. PVR's like SageTV (BeyondTV, ReplayTV, TiVo, etc.) often introduce a level of complexity that, when followed, provides an amazingly viewer-controllable experience. But it comes at the cost of 1. having to understand the complexities, and 2. following those complexities.

Maybe neilm's Multi Stop Plugin could be enhanced to provide a button that simply reads "Cancel current recording" that when pressed, would stop the current recording and make the appropriate "flag" updates in the background?