SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Question MediaMVP Desync picture and sound

When I play some video files, or many of the Google on-line ones, my MediaMVP has a desync between the picture and sound. I doubt it's a lack of PC power, CPU utilization is not that high (and I just bought a new one, should be powerfull enough).

I do not have this issue with SageTV recordings, nor with ripped DVD's.

I assume it's a codec, or PC speed issue (sic).

Can anybody give me some hints to what I should be looking at?
Old 10-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Sage

Play the same videos back on your PC to make sure the video itself is not out of sync. There's quite a few videos on Google that don't actually have synced audio + video when you play them through a web browser with the flash player.

It may also be a CPU usage issue on the server, check your CPU utilization to see how much it is when you're having this problem.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am actually having the same problem, but more with HD recordings being played through the MVP. Also, the time progress bar always stays at the beginning and it doesn't remember where I left off if I stop the recording. This has just recently occured after a reboot of my main system, it was working fine the first time I tried it...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen
I am actually having the same problem, but more with HD recordings being played through the MVP. Also, the time progress bar always stays at the beginning and it doesn't remember where I left off if I stop the recording. This has just recently occured after a reboot of my main system, it was working fine the first time I tried it...
I had this happen yesterday with an xvid file on the MVP. It started off ok, but after a few minutes picture and sound were off-sync quite a bit. It also didn't remember the last play position when I restarted it. I didnt check the CPU utilization on the server though, but I'll do this if this happens again.

Dirk
Old 10-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Play the same videos back on your PC to make sure the video itself is not out of sync. There's quite a few videos on Google that don't actually have synced audio + video when you play them through a web browser with the flash player.

It may also be a CPU usage issue on the server, check your CPU utilization to see how much it is when you're having this problem.
The video's play fine on my PC (via SageTV). So it's not the video itself that is creating this issue.

As I understand from what I picked up in other threads (and take into account my knowledge in this field is limited):
=> MPEG1, MPEG2, AVI etc. are video standard formats.
=> Within these formats, compression is defined by the codec used (ffshow, DIVX, ...).
=> SageTV records in MPEG2 (don't know what Codec - I got GSpot to find out what coded an AVI uses, but don't know what to use for MGEG files).
=> When playing via MediaMVP, SageTV sends MPEG2 files to the MVP who locally works out the codec and plays the file.
Other codecs/files are first 'transformed' on the SageTV server into a format the MVP can play before being streamed to the MVP.

My guess is that it's during this 'transformation' (sorry for the non technical term) it goes wrong. I don't believe it's a network issue, as than both image and sound would have problems.

I don't recall having had this issue with the orignal Hauppauge player.

When I play it on the server PC via SageTV, my guess is it than plays is directly using the locally present codec (as it plays ok than).

Above is how I 'believe' it works - do correct and teach me if wrong

First thing I'll do is as you suggested and to play a problem video on the MVP and look at my CPU utilization (a bit physical, my TV is on ground floor, my PC in the office 2 floors higher - so a constant running up and down ).
Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

I've been seeing this too.. not on every show, but almost! This did not happen on the previous release build. The audio goes out of sync.. sometimes hopelessly until I reboot the Sage Server (Not sure if just restarting Sage itself would work).

One thing maybe worth mentioning.. I do have the Extender quality set to high. I will try setting it back to standard and see if it makes any difference at all.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
I've been seeing this too.. not on every show, but almost! This did not happen on the previous release build. The audio goes out of sync.. sometimes hopelessly until I reboot the Sage Server (Not sure if just restarting Sage itself would work).

One thing maybe worth mentioning.. I do have the Extender quality set to high. I will try setting it back to standard and see if it makes any difference at all.
Have you figured anything out on this?

I've just started experiencing audio sync problems on my MVP under 6.0.13...

What version beta are you running?
Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman

Extender Quality won't have any affect unless you are transcoding, such as divx files or HD files. But, I have seen my audio go out of sync since running the beta, but it only happened once or twice, and restarting the service fixed it...
Old 11-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Sage User

I have also seen this problem. I have not gone so far as figure out what media formats exhibited this problem, though I suspect as others above have that its codec translation on the server for the MVP. I'm running a wired Media MVP connected to a Sage 6.0.13 Beta server on Linux).

Hitting the "rewind" button on my Hauppauge remote followed by the "play" button resynced the sound with the video.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to willgill
I had the same problem but ironically only when on Standard quality. When I switch to High quality everything is fine. I haven't done more investigation why.
Server: WinXPProSP2, Athlon64 4000+ Dual Core, ASUS NVidia Premium SLI MB, 2Gig DDR, 2xGeForce 7800GTX in SLI, 2x250G SATA HD's in RAID stripe, 250G SATA Video, 250G Backup HD, Onboard Realtek sound, PureVid 1.0.2.223, SageTV 6.3.8
HTPC: WinXPProSP2, AthlonXP 1700+, 1GigDDR, ATI Radeon 2400HD AGP with , Overlay, SageTV 6.3.8
iTreadmill: Media MVP with USRobotics wireless bridge.