SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Autumnwave Vs. HDHomeRun

My next SageTV upgrade will be to add QAM support. I've been looking at Autumnwave's offering as well as the HDHomeRun from SiliconDust. Can somebody comment on this comparison:

- Price is about the same $177 (US) each.

- HDHomeRun has 2 tuners, Autumnwave has 1.

- Both support QAM. I'm not interested in OTA so I have not looked at it.

- Autumnwave connects via USB, HDHomeRun is network attached.

- Neither is fully supported in Sage but both are progressing towards being supported. I can't really determine who is more likely to get there first. The big issue for each seems to be mapping the QAM frequencies to channels that correspond to a particular lineup.

Can anybody expound on this? Do I have my basic facts right? I am leaning towards the HDHomeRun because I like the idea of the device being network attached. My computer area is crouded enough and I'd love to stick the HDHomeRun in another room with cable and network access.

This is probably a very foolish question but I am not clear on exactly how people are viewing and recording from within Sage. Looking at the HDHomeRun for example I can see that people have successfully added the device and Sage recognizes the two QAM tuners. I guess that during installation they are not associating any lineup to the tuners. So how do you watch anything? I know how to watch live TV, shows selected from the guide, or recorded shows but that's it. How do you select a show by tuner? (Which is what I am assuming you must do; select one of the HDHomeRun QAM tuners..) What am I missing?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Sage Icon

I was able to get my HDHomeRun working with a lineup via QAM. First you have to add the tuner with no lineup and do a channel scan (not sure if this step is needed but that is what donkey posted)
It also helps if you run the latest firmware for the HDHomeRun.
Then change the lineup to the one you want and then do a physical channel remap to the channel number you would see when using the HDHomeRunConfig util and using VLC to find out what is on each QAM channel number.
Since sub-channel tuning isn't working yet I can only record the major channel.
On my cable company QAM channel 81-1 is WCBSDT and 81-2 is WNBCDT so for channel 81 I can only record CBS until QAM is properly supported etc.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm in the same boat, but I'd rather have a pci-e dual tuner solution.

I was thinking I'd rather have the Autumnwave, but it would be really hard to justify paying that price for a single tuner when you could get a dual instead. I'm hoping something else comes along or one of the two becomes the clear favorite.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:25 AM
SageTVaholic

ToxMox and Blade,

Thanks. I did not think the channel scan worked, a post by jafa over at SiliconDust says to not do it at all. I did not know you could remap channels like that. I've never had to mess with the linups at all, just seleced my provider and never had to change a thing since.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

So I understand, you can get a channel guide and select programs to record from that screen? This is possible with the HDHomerun currently?