SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:17 AM
SageTVaholic

CPU and network activity

I just upgraded to v6 and I've got some issues. This one is about CPU and network activity while recording.

It now seems that Sage wants to chew on recordings as they happen:

My sage server now runs around 40% CPU usage while a network encoder on a different machine is recording, and also seems to be chatting constantly (much more than NOOPs and GET_FILE_REQUEST should take up) with the network encoder. It almost seems that the server is reading the entire file. Why would it do that, and how do I stop it from doing that?

Also, could someone please explain why playback performance would suffer from the upgrade? Our bedroom client can no longer do HDTV playback. If v6 is just this much more resource needy and slow to render HDTV, a big fat warning needs to be placed on the installer. Is there anything I can do? Could someone explain any architectural changes that might cause this?

Last edited by salsbst; 12-03-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Sage Expert

Just a guess--check out the thread on SageTranscoder.exe.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks, I've been there...

The network/CPU activity that I'm mentioning here is attributable to sagetv.exe, sagetvclient.exe and sagetvservice.exe. The transcoder is a whole 'nuther story!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

I can't figure out the pattern, but I've noticed that *sometimes* sagetvservice.exe is well behaved around 2-3 % of my CPU, and other times, it seems determined to hover between 15-25% of the CPU. I'm puzzled as to what it is doing with so much CPU...
Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Regarding playback performance, I too have experienced the Hd playback performance hit. I've spent most of the day playing with it to no avail. I've tried changing bios settings, updating programs, changing video modes and the only thing I've found that works is a solution I don't like. I have to use overlay and then I can play back HD, using VMR9 makes HD playback unbearable. I have toggled every single option in the detailed setup and not one of them makes a change in playback.

I'm not sure what's going on, I've looked at everything I can thing of, and it seems the more I tinker the more frustrated I get. I'm really hoping something gets fixed in the next release because I think this one is a step backwards when it comes to HD playback.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
I can't figure out the pattern, but I've noticed that *sometimes* sagetvservice.exe is well behaved around 2-3 % of my CPU, and other times, it seems determined to hover between 15-25% of the CPU. I'm puzzled as to what it is doing with so much CPU...
I have a thread I started on the Software forum. For me, when I'm recording and watching the same program, Sage Service is taking up about 40% of my CPU cycles. As an experiment I've stopped using it to see if it helps with stutter on longer programs (that I watch while recording--that's the only time I have stutter--except if watching live I do need to be one second off live).
Old 12-03-2006, 08:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
I'm puzzled as to what it is doing with so much CPU...
Have you looked at the logs to see what it's up to during those high-CPU periods?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Ok, so I reinstalled everything and the network activity is fine now. I'm going to start a new, more focused thread on the CPU activity.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
SageTVaholic

What I've noticed is that sometimes when Sage starts it is really slow and unresponsive. If this happens rebooting Sage solves the problem.

I only reboot when upgrading or "tinkering", which is not often. I can't see any pattern to the behavior so I have not bugged it. When it does happen it is very obvious, my Sage server takes a long time to boot (it seems to get stuck on the "initializing interface" step) and my MVPs do not connect.

I've had this happen 3-4 times.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.