SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 AM

sage is killing samba server

Hello Everybody,

I'm running SageTV 6.0.19.120 with all of my recording directories on a samba server. Up until now, this setup has worked great. I had added a new disk to my storage and last night it was finally filled. It appears that as soon as sage wants to free up space, the samba server pegs at 100%+ CPU (DualCore Intel 32-bit 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM). Normally, samba only takes a small fraction of the CPU. I tried restarting samba, restarting sage, then rebooting each machine. All ended with the same results. I then freed up space on a drive and restarted samba. At this point, samba calmed down.

I tried to figure out what samba was working on. I looked at the network traffic with wireshark (aka ethereal) and there was a massive amount of traffic. I could see the data in the packets, but nothing of value was discernable. The only readable text I saw were some occasional headers that contained the string "SMB".

Of course, I don't 100% that sage is the problem. I'm sure samba could be buggy. But at this point, I don't know what to do next to diagnose the problem.

Let me recap the timeline:

1) Running Sage 5.0, everything is great.
2) Added a new disk to samba, everything is great.
3) Upgraded to Sage 6.0, everything is great.
4) New disk is full, samba begins to thrash.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Glen Hein
Dual Hauppauge 500's, 1.4 TB, MVP Extender and Placeshifter.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:37 AM

CORRECTION:

The line "I then freed up space on a drive and restarted samba" should read "I then freed up space on a drive and restarted SageTV."

-Glen
Old 02-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenhein
Hello Everybody,

Let me recap the timeline:

1) Running Sage 5.0, everything is great.
2) Added a new disk to samba, everything is great.
3) Upgraded to Sage 6.0, everything is great.
4) New disk is full, samba begins to thrash.
I record locally on 2 500GB drives. Every once in a while, SageTV loses track of free space, even though I have set it to keep 20GB free at all times. Whenever a drive fills up, SageTV goes into a tailspin and I have to reboot my computer. I'm guessing the problem is exacerbated for you because SageTV may not be getting an accurate reading of the amount of available space.