SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Straighten me out on the MVP vs. Media Extender

Hey all,

Just got Sage set up last night on the PC and things are looking great. Now for the next step in the build. I need to get an MVP/Media Extender.

I understand that the Media Extender is nothing more than an MVP that runs a linux version of the SageTV software which it obtains from the server.

The question in my mind is which to buy. If I but the MVP, I get the Hauppauge software. Then I buy the extender client license and I am good to go. This way I can use the MVP as either a Sage media extender or as it was intended to be used.

If I buy the Sage Media Extender, it is $30 cheaper since I do not have to purchase the media extender software license. But, do I get the Hauppauge software with the Sage Media Extender.

If I could just work this out in my mind, I am ready to go with it. If there are any other hidden things I need to know, please elaborate.

Thanks in advance,
Rob Hix
Old 02-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Administrator

They are the same. The only difference is that when you buy it from SageTV, it comes with a SageTV Media Extender license.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Be sure to check out PCAlchemy.com. They have good pricing on MVP's and licenses.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can always download the hauppage softwae if you want to use that.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Sage User

Question Haupauge MVP vs Sage Media Extender

Anybody have opinions and experiences with both the Haupage MVP and the SageTV Media Extender? They both appear to provide the same functionality at about the same price. Does one outperform the other and what are the pros and cons of using one over the other?

I'm trying to determine which device to purchase...

Thanks all.

* merged with existing topic *
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Sage Expert

They are the same device; the difference in price is that the Sage branded version of the MVP includes a Placeshifter/Media Extender licence so you can access SageTV on the extender. The generic version has its own software (which is much more limited, but may be useful to some users).

If you're running SageTV (which I'm assuming you are since you're at this forum), it's worth the few extra bucks to get the licence (assuming that they have the MVP's in stock).

Stu
Old 02-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Media Extender vs Hauppauge MVP

I ordered the Sage TV Media extender and Sage sent me the MVP. The Extender appears to be more robust then the MVP. I have yet to get an answer as to why they sent the MVP. I assume Sage actually makes their own Extender correct? Any opinions on the difference? I'm not happy when I order one thing and receive something else.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstok
I'm not happy when I order one thing and receive something else.

The SageTV Media Extender and Hauppauge MVP are the same thing. You did not do your research

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 02-22-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am a new Sage user so sorry I can offer no help but I do have a question. Why do you use an MVP instead of the Sage Media Extender? I ask because I ordered an Extender and they sent me an MVP.

* merged with existing topic *
Old 02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
Sage Icon

They are the same. The only difference is that when you buy it from SageTV it comes with a SageTV Media Extender license. The SageTV Media Extender and Hauppauge MVP are the exact same thing. Just renamed for sagetv
Old 02-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Oh I see we were merged

jjstok do you understand now why you was sent a MVP?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Why would I research something like that? I saw nothing on the Sage site in the specs for the Extender that mentioned anything about the MVP except in the code name, plus they have their name on the Extender in all of the pictures. You claim consumer ignorance but the bottom line is that is fraudulent advertising.

Oh well, I hope it works! I can't wait to use it! Thanks for the enlightening!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstok
Why would I research something like that? I saw nothing on the Sage site in the specs for the Extender that mentioned anything about the MVP except in the code name, plus they have their name on the Extender in all of the pictures. You claim consumer ignorance but the bottom line is that is fraudulent advertising.

Oh well, I hope it works! I can't wait to use it! Thanks for the enlightening!
It will work good. As stated they are identical. I agree with you about expecting to receive a sage product but instead getting a hauppauge one. It feels very deceptive even though it is assumed most people know the differences. (especially with reading the forum for 5 minutes). But sage should put a note that the item pictured is not what you receive or take their logo off of the hauppauge products.

All in all though, you should be pleased. (as long as you don't get a defective model )

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
All in all though, you should be pleased. (as long as you don't get a defective model )
Or purchased the wireless Media Extender aka MVP
Old 02-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Sage Icon

Why is that?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Sage Icon

From many users reviews here and a poll that I posted a while back the wireless units are not plug and play, very very hit or miss

http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...highlight=poll