SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Placeshifter won't connect

I'm getting this error when I run the 'Test Placeshifter Connection' in the setup/advance/placeshifter connection settings screen:

Code:
The Locater server connected to the IP address and Placeshifters server's port 
registered for this Locator ID, but the placeshifter server was not found there.

Make sure that a different application is not already using that port.
A netstat -b -v for port 31099 reveals that it is being used by my MVP extender running SageTV:

Code:
  TCP    SilverFox:31099        192.168.1.212:3179     ESTABLISHED     2376
  C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll
  C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\net.dll
  -- unknown component(s) --
  C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\client\jvm.dll
  [SageTVService.exe]

TCP    SilverFox:31099        192.168.1.212:3180     ESTABLISHED     2376
  C:\WINDOWS\system32\ws2_32.dll
  C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\net.dll
  [SageTVService.exe]
Port 31099 is not being used by anything else.

Any ideas?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Is the router forwarding that port to the correct address on your LAN? Is there any sort of firewall that isn't allowing SageTV to receiver or reply on that port?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yep, port forwarded and firewall is turned off. I think this bit of the message:

The Locater server connected to the IP address and Placeshifters server's port registered for this Locator ID

says the connection is successfully being made to the right port of the right machine.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

The IP address it refers to would be your external address that the internet sees; the remote Locator ID server test program can't tell what internal address your router sent it to, as far as I know.

My understanding of the message in the first post is that _something_ on that port at your external IP address is responding, but it isn't SageTV. I'll check to get more details on that.

Out of curiosity, I just ran it on my system & the test worked, so the Loc ID server is working.

Edit: If you go through the process of configuring the PC connection, I think it should update the LOC ID server automatically so that it has your correct external IP stored. Otherwise, you could wait a few minutes & try again.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Okay that makes sense. I've just rebooted the router and the PC and triple checked the port forwarding - all looks like it should be working but no joy.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Okay, I found the problem. My old main Sage server was using UPNP to forward 31099 to its machine, even though it was no longer enable as a server. This machine has since become a network encoder.

By enabling the server, and configuring the placeshifter to use manual settings, the UPNP setting were cleared from the router.

Having encoding servers certainly complicates your life.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

If my mvp is using port 31099 , what port is placeshifting using to connect.. I have ports 31099, 31100, 8018 and 7818 open on my router and I can only connect from my internal Lan and not from outside. Port 31099 is being held by one of mvps. Anyone have any ideas on this ?

Clients: 2 HD Extenders
Old 02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Not sure tbh - though I believe they both connect using 31099. I know I only have a few ports opened externally and my placeshifter (external) and extender both work at the same time.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCritical
If my mvp is using port 31099 , what port is placeshifting using to connect.. I have ports 31099, 31100, 8018 and 7818 open on my router and I can only connect from my internal Lan and not from outside. Port 31099 is being held by one of mvps. Anyone have any ideas on this ?
The Firewall Settings secton at the end of chapter 7 in the PDF manual covers what ports are used & it looks like you have all the ones needed.

But, when you say 'open' on the router, what do you mean? The router has to forward port 31099 to the PC running the server... did you do that forwarding? As far as I know, your server should not need any other ports open to the outside world & forwarded to the server from the router for the Placeshifter to connect.

And, multiple MVPs and PS clients can connect over that single port.

You can go to the "Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection" screen & choose Test PS Connection.

- Andy
Old 02-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

I fixed it.. I had another router connected to sage that I removed. Once I restarted sage it only showed the one router and was able to configure placeshifter through Upnp

Clients: 2 HD Extenders
Old 02-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

BTW: this may depend on the network/routers in use, but SageTV sees 2 routers on my system & I can choose which router to configure via UPnP. The code is in the STV for that, but it may depend on the UPnP responses it gets.

- Andy