SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

So, no one has any ideas on how to edit some setting so when the option is set to ASK every time, it actually does?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

And no response from tech support. Sure is quiet around here.....
Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Tech support do not respond in the forums.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

I submitted a bug report. Sorry I wasn't clear about that.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli
So, no one has any ideas on how to edit some setting so when the option is set to ASK every time, it actually does?
As has been said, what you're seeing is the intended behaviour and I don't think there's any fix for you in this version. As this is a RC, I wouldn't expect this feature to be added in this release and they may well be busy prioritising fixes. I'm sure they'll get back to you one way or the other sooner or later...if not, raise it again after the release.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

What is a RC ? I am running the released version 6.0.19

It's also not just me. Others agree that when I select a Recorded show from the menu, when it reaches the end, it should not go to live tv, especially since I have the ask to delete EVERY time option turned on.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
when it reaches the end, it should not go to live tv, especially since I have the ask to delete EVERY time option turned on.
I'll fix the confusion about that option -- in the next release, the dialog for that option will note that it has no effect at the end of a show that is watched while it was recording, since that is considered to be in live TV mode.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What is a RC ? I am running the released version 6.0.19
RC=Release Candidate - 6.1.3 is a release candidate, which I'm sure is keeping the team busy, and new functionality is rarely added at RC stage.

Quote:
It's also not just me. Others agree
I never said it was only you!

Great to hear that Andy is going to fix it for you...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
This is all by design -- It doesn't ask after watching the show during live TV because that interrupts the flow into the next live TV show, as you said. After that, the scheduled recording will follow the deletion rules found in Appendix C of the PDF manual: as a watched show, it would get deleted when space is needed, unless it is a recording type that SageTV will never auto-delete. The scheduled recording will not automatically lose its Manual Recording or Favorite status.

- Andy
Wait a minute. The TV buffer is just a constant data stream. Look at this example:

A-------------------------B-------------------C

A=Start of favorite show. Sage starts recording (which is just taking the live tv stream and giving it a file name)
B=End of favorite show. Sage closes the file and gives it the shows name. It is now ready for later playback
C=Real time.

When I select to watch a recording, I am watching the data stream from A-B. At the end of B, Sage knows it is at the end of the show due to its information from the EPG right? It knows when to start, and when to stop right? So, if the option is set to ask if I want to delete at the end, then it should. Period. Doesn't make any difference what is going on with the rest of the live tv stream buffer (b-c).

When it gets to the end (b), it should ask me if I want to delete the show. I say yes, it deletes that file. I can still switch to live TV (B-C) if I want.

These are two separate things and can't for the life of me understand how Sage can't understand that.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I moved your post out of the beta thread & into your own topic on the subject.

I understand that you don't know why the SageTV core + STV work this way, but this is the way it will continue to work. I make no promises about whether it may or may not change in the future, but the only change for v6.1 is what I posted above. You haven't been ignored -- we heard your request and decided not to implement any other change regarding this functionality at this time.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Andy,

Would it be possible to modify the behavior (or give an option) so that it stops if the current show being recorded and watched is a scheduled recording? i.e. I would rather that LiveTV mode only applies when I'm watching something I selected from the guide.

David
Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Gets back to how Sage defines what a "Recorded show" is versus a "live TV" stream. They are NOT the same on just about every DVR I have tried, but for some reason Sage seems to consider them the same. It's really all about time markers thats all.

So far all they have said they would do is a syntax change and clarify the option.

Sort of makes you wonder what the purpose of that option was in the first place then doesn't it? Someone at Sage must have at one point thought that it was a good idea to have the OPTION of PROMPTing the user if they want to delete the show, at the end of the show. Right ?

So if it works the way I, and others, think it should work, you watch a recorded show, at the end, it asks if you want to delete it. Regardless of if the user says yes or no, they can always then switch to Live TV right?

It's so simple.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli View Post
Someone at Sage must have at one point thought that it was a good idea to have the OPTION of PROMPTing the user if they want to delete the show, at the end of the show. Right ?
<yawn>
Funny, it asks me to do that at the end of shows, because I set that option. Unless I'm watching live TV (very rare).

The horse is dead. Put the whip down...
Old 03-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli View Post
It's so simple.
It would be great if you would stop pronouncing what is so simple to do, because, simply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
you don't know why the SageTV core + STV work this way
With your lack of understanding about this issue, you have no idea what is simple or not.

I'll make one more comment on this: Such a change affects more than you think, or it probably would have been changed long before you ever started using SageTV. As I also said above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I make no promises about whether it may or may not change in the future
- Andy
Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

It's too bad that this thread is getting so heated, because I think there's a real usability issue here. Rather than this discussion coming off as the ranting of a couple of users, why doesn't someone put up a poll? That would provide some data on whether people actually prefer things the way they are. I suspect that they would prefer the alternative proposed behavior. I also suspect that the current behavior is the result of treating the watching of live TV differently across-the-board than the watching of previously recorded shows.

As far as the difficulty, I would think it would be the difference between:

Code:
if (!user_is_watching_current_recording)
  stop_recording();
and

Code:
if (!user_is_watching_current_recording || is_scheduled_recording)
  stop_recording();
Simplifying greatly of course. This would allow the true live TV behavior to stay without having SageTV behave differently if I happen to select a show from my Recordings that is currently being recorded.

Another (less good) alternative would be to have the "change the channel" prompt pop up if you seek past the point where it normally pop up automatically.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

I like the fact that a program is treated the same whether I select it from the guide or from the recordings menu.

What happens if the show runs over the allotted time? How many 4th quarters will be interupted with a "Do you want to delete?" message?
How does it deal with padding, other clients etc?

I guess I am not seeing the usability issue here, I let Sage handle deletions for the most part.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
I like the fact that a program is treated the same whether I select it from the guide or from the recordings menu.
The thing is, I never watch TV from the guide. In my case I'd like SageTV to treat everything in the recordings part of the UI the same way.

Currently SageTV will record the next show even if I plan to stop watching TV after watching my favorite. Even worse, it then thinks I really wanted to watch "Secrets of Hollywood Liposuction", and will record tons of liposuction shows in the future. (Well, it did this for the nightly news, anyway. It took me forever to convince it that I don't watch the 6pm local news.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
How does it deal with padding, other clients etc?
It should deal with all that just like it would if I wasn't watching the show.

David
Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 PM
SageTVaholic

I think most of us would agree that there is a usability issue here (albeit it a minor one in my opinion). The disagreement is over what to do about it. The devs have already rejected the "simple" solutions as unconvincing or unworkable, so I don't see what's gained by rehashing those ideas.

If anyone has a genuinely new way of looking at this issue, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it. But before making any proposals, latecomers might want to review the entire thread, with special attention to the parts that explain how the SageTV core, running on the server, doesn't care what UI you're running on the client or how it's organized. "The recordings part of the UI" is a fiction with no meaning to the core. Similarly, "is_scheduled_recording" is an artificial distinction that exists only in the mind of the user, since scheduled recordings can be accessed through the program guide, and unscheduled (i.e. "live") recordings can be accessed through the recordings list. Different users can access the same program in different ways simultaneously, and think about it in different ways, making it impossible for the core to definitively categorize a recording in progress as "scheduled" or "live".

But again, this has all been said before. The challenge is to come up with a new idea that hasn't already been kicked to death in this thread.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I think most of us would agree that there is a usability issue here (albeit it a minor one in my opinion). The disagreement is over what to do about it. The devs have already rejected the "simple" solutions as unconvincing or unworkable, so I don't see what's gained by rehashing those ideas.

If anyone has a genuinely new way of looking at this issue, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it. But before making any proposals, latecomers might want to review the entire thread, with special attention to the parts that explain how the SageTV core, running on the server, doesn't care what UI you're running on the client or how it's organized. "The recordings part of the UI" is a fiction with no meaning to the core. Similarly, "is_scheduled_recording" is an artificial distinction that exists only in the mind of the user, since scheduled recordings can be accessed through the program guide, and unscheduled (i.e. "live") recordings can be accessed through the recordings list. Different users can access the same program in different ways simultaneously, and think about it in different ways, making it impossible for the core to definitively categorize a recording in progress as "scheduled" or "live".

But again, this has all been said before. The challenge is to come up with a new idea that hasn't already been kicked to death in this thread.
I know I'll get slammed for this from the mods (be gentle Andy) and others, but, Tivo knows how to do this as does Comcast PVR as does Meedio, etc. Just saying.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Tivo asks you if you want to delete the show when watching live tv, rather than just playing the next show? I would consider this broken behavior, but thats just me. Of coarse if there is an option for this, thats one thing. But since there isn't an option for doing in Sage, I don't know why you keep beating this dead horse.