SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon View Post
Brilliant, full circle.
The complaint here is that Sage doesn't delete live recordings when it doesn't know...
No, the complaint that started this thread is that when you start playback of a scheduled recording before it finishes recording, Sage doesn't ask you to delete at the end.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohn View Post
No, the complaint that started this thread is that when you start playback of a scheduled recording before it finishes recording, Sage doesn't ask you to delete at the end.
Same thing.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
But I pulled it up to look at it out of the EPG Program Guide. When I click any program in the EPG it becomes a recording. SO how will Sage know the difference? Only because it started now instead of being scheduled before? Can't program that kind of logic either. I might pull a program up in the Guide and tell it to manual record it. And if I watch some of it should it be treated as Live or a recording? That's just some of the difficulty in understanding that it's not as easy as everyone thinks to "just simply program it".

Gerry
The difference is one is a SCHEDULED recording. Sage knew in its recording schedule that it will be recorded AND saved to disk. It also knew when to start AND stop recording right? It also knew to close the file when it was at the end of the show right? If yes, then Sage already has the start and stop time markers.

The Live TV buffer is just a temporary thing, like the swap space in Windows.

If you are watching Live TV, THEN change your mind and decide you want to RECORD it (by telling it to record), then it becomes another RECORDED show just like the first one.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli View Post
The Live TV buffer is just a temporary thing, like the swap space in Windows.
There is no buffer-it gets recorded straight to a file. Just like a recording.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Same thing.
No it's not the same. You either didn't read my post carefully or you don't understand what this thread is about.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:03 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
No it's not the same. You either didn't read my post carefully or you don't understand what this thread is about.
Seems you don't understand SageTV. Check in your install folder for the PDF manual.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Seems you don't understand SageTV. Check in your install folder for the PDF manual.
Do you work for Sage?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
You fanboys crack me up. I understand just fine how Sage works.

Let's be clear. Sage does know the difference between a recording and live TV, because it treats them differently. So it should be possible to implement an option such that when a viewer reaches the end of a recording it prompts whether to delete or not, even if playback started while the recording was still in progress. You can make the argument that the viewer may have started playback from the EPG, but my response is "who cares". Even if you're in the EPG, it's still apparent that you're selecting a scheduled recording because it's clearly marked as such, and when you start playback it puts you at the beginning of the show rather than "live". So even if I started playback from the EPG I would still want it to prompt for deletion at the end.

Some of you may not want this behavior, and are perfectly happy with the status quo. That's fine. I'm not suggesting the current behavior be taken away, it can even remain the default in a new install for all I care. All I'm asking for is an option I can enable to get what I consider to be consistent behavior.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Do you work for Sage?
Not in any paid way. They probably couldn't afford me...

Quote:
You fanboys crack me up.
As ever, I'm more than happy to help out...

Quote:
I understand just fine how Sage works.
the viewer may have started playback from the EPG, but my response is "who cares"
So even if I started playback from the EPG I would still want it to prompt for deletion at the end.
Multi-user, multi-client, multi-extender system. You over-simplify. I see no problem with an option, but personally, the way it works now makes far more sense to me. In fact, although I have the prompt enabled, I tend to delete manually anyway - why sit through the padding to wait for the prompt? Easier to stop and delete.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Multi-user, multi-client, multi-extender system. You over-simplify.
Red herring. Sage currently handles deleting recordings that didn't start playback while recording was in progress just fine, so it must already have logic for dealing with any multi-user concurrency issues. That's a completely separate issue.

Quote:
I see no problem with an option, but personally, the way it works now makes far more sense to me. In fact, although I have the prompt enabled, I tend to delete manually anyway - why sit through the padding to wait for the prompt? Easier to stop and delete.
I use the Comskip STVi, so when the show is over skipping to the end and getting the delete prompt is a simple matter hitting the right-cursor key. That's quicker than hitting stop with Nielm's stop multi-function add-on (which I also have installed).
Old 03-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Red herring. Sage currently handles deleting recordings that didn't start playback while recording was in progress just fine, so it must already have logic for dealing with any multi-user concurrency issues. That's a completely separate issue.

I use the Comskip STVi, so when the show is over skipping to the end and getting the delete prompt is a simple matter hitting the right-cursor key.
That's quicker than hitting stop with Nielm's stop multi-function add-on (which I also have installed).
Using the Comskip STVi, does that hold true if Sage is starting to record the next scheduled show (two scheduled shows recording back to back) or does it just skip right through to the next one as it does now?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Using the Comskip STVi, does that hold true if Sage is starting to record the next scheduled show (two scheduled shows recording back to back) or does it just skip right through to the next one as it does now?
It skips right through past the next commercial break in the next recording, which is why I find the current behavior of Sage so annoying.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Me too!