SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage causing computer to lose network connection & hang

This problem has been haunting me for quite some time, so I tried to narrow its symptons. I did a clean XP install. No firewall, no anti-virus software. Besides critical updates, I've also install Net Framework. That's it.

After I install Sage Server, I copied my properties and wiz.bin file, & open up Sage. Sage is fine. Then if I try to reboot, after XP startup, system will hang for anywhere from 5-15 minutes until it responds to an attempt to view system information, network connection, etc.

Initially I thought it might be my network card. I replaced the card, but it exhibited same behavior. Then, after it recovered from the hang, I uninstalled Sage and my hang problems disappear upon reboot.

Has anyone else encounted this weird behavior? It's certainly must be something weird in my properties file that must be causing this, but I haven't a clue.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Problem Resolved

I methodically started my Sage Server setup from scratch, as opposed to copying the original properties file. Upon adding each directory set, encoder, etc., I would reboot to see if it hung. It did not. I completed the entire setup and all is good.

The only thing I can think of might have been related to the EPG listings. My original properties file had 11 printed pages of information. The new properties only has several lines. Whatever the exact reason, I'm glad it's now behind me.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question Spoke too quickly

Problem is back. And I checked the EPG in properties and it appears to be of normal size. I really don't have the time or patience to go through the entire Sage reinstall, so I'll live with it. Providing I don't do a reboot, it's not an issue. But still quite baffling.

Anyone else ever come across this hang problem I've described in my first post?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Sage User

It sounds like it is possible one of the directories you have set up in Sage is an invalid or unaccessable network drive or path.

First, turn off starting Sage as a server. This should result in your computer booting normally. If it does not I do not believe it would be Sage causing this.

If the computer starts normally, check all the directories in your properties file and make sure you can access them from that computer. It could be that the directories are not available or the sharing and security settings for that directory or drive are not available to the user account starting Sage when Sage starts up. Maybe playing around with using UNC paths or mapped drives will give clues as to how to fix this.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Sage User

I am seeing the same problem. My Recording Directories are on a network share. It appears like the sage service is starting before the network is up and so sage hangs waiting for the network but the network won't come up because sage is hung.