SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Sage Icon

I bet it will be a real pain to implement. Imagine how complex the scheduling/resolution code must be already, adding an option that affects the basic rules...ouch. Good luck!
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Joe123. Sages rules are quite simple and are unlikely to be changed

Manual records override favorites.
If a new manual record clashes with another manual record, then you are prompted to chose which one you want to record.

So if you want to be notified immediately about a possible conflict of must-have shows, then make manual recordings.

This of course does not stop your kids from cancelling your manual recordings in favour of their own...

(my kids are 4&1.5, so I don't have this problem yet!)

Last edited by nielm; 03-06-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Sage Icon

You can always add an insane number of tuners to try to avoid the issue...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
You can always add an insane number of tuners to try to avoid the issue...
I would have to purchase an insane number of Time Warner Digital boxes which would be cost prohibited So no, that wont work and there will always be a conflict the moment my insame number of tuners is less than # of channels available times recordings.

Neilm: Yes, I see what you mean and that this may be Sage original concept which cannot easily be changed. If it's not that difficult, then it would be a great feature to have.

I am forgetting how TiVo rules work. Anyone remembers how TiVo "Season Pass" which is the equivalent of "Sage Favorites" works and if a TiVo manual recording can over write a Sason Pass? Or does TiVo produce a conflict window the moment there is one?
Old 03-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123
I would have to purchase an insane number of Time Warner Digital boxes which would be cost prohibited So no, that wont work and there will always be a conflict the moment my insame number of tuners is less than # of channels available times recordings.
I found that once I got past 8 tuners, conflicts were a thing of the past.
Even my kids can't manage it...and they try.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate
IMO, there are a *lot* of things that parents need to teach children, even things that have nothing to do with the adult's toys. However, with that said, wouldn't the world be a better place if Sage Favorites Options included one more checkbox that said "Always prefer this favorite over a manual selection"?

- Don
As I've said 3 times now I'm not disagreeing with the idea of the feature.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123

Neilm: Yes, I see what you mean and that this may be Sage original concept which cannot easily be changed. If it's not that difficult, then it would be a great feature to have.

I am forgetting how TiVo rules work. Anyone remembers how TiVo "Season Pass" which is the equivalent of "Sage Favorites" works and if a TiVo manual recording can over write a season Pass? Or does TiVo produce a conflict window the moment there is one?
Uh Oh. He mentioned Tivo. Last time I mentioned that people started felt it imperative to educate me on how Sage is not Tivo.

Tivo will immediately prompt whomever is adding a new recording, be it a favorite (season pass) or manual recording, if it conflicts with something already scheduled. This is the best solution because the operator is made aware right away. Doesn't make any difference if it is a teenager, a wife, or even myself doing something accidentally. If it will cause a conflict, why not ask the operator what to do about it immediately? Obviously, this can't be done for all things in the future and that is where the current rules (and conflict icon) come into play. But, when Sage knows something is going to cause a conflict then I vote for it to prompt the operator.

I find it curious that some here feel there isn't any room for improvement. Sort of the "we have done it this way forever and by golly, we are not going to change" attitude.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribli
Uh Oh. He mentioned Tivo. Last time I mentioned that people started felt it imperative to educate me on how Sage is not Tivo.
And yet still you don't learn...

Quote:
Tivo will immediately prompt whomever is adding a new recording
My old VHS had some interesting conflict resolution features too - not sure that it's relevant. Sage is not Tivo.

Quote:
I find it curious that some here feel there isn't any room for improvement. Sort of the "we have done it this way forever and by golly, we are not going to change" attitude.
I find it curious that you feel the need to misrepresent the arguments here in such a way. Many have agreed that it could be an option, others have said it might be difficult given the nature of the changes. No one has said "we have done it this way forever" and I've never heard anyone say "by golly" in my life as I was born post-1930.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

I think the other tidbit everyone is forgeting is that Sage will go through the upcoming EPG schedule to see if it can record this program at some future date. If it can it won't show a conflict but record it at some other time. And again, having the option to force a favorite recording is a good option, by gosh, by golly.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
And yet still you don't learn...

My old VHS had some interesting conflict resolution features too - not sure that it's relevant. Sage is not Tivo.

I find it curious that you feel the need to misrepresent the arguments here in such a way. Many have agreed that it could be an option, others have said it might be difficult given the nature of the changes. No one has said "we have done it this way forever" and I've never heard anyone say "by golly" in my life as I was born post-1930.
Yes, Sage is not Tivo. We can all agree on that. However, Tivo has millions of users (happy I might add) and therefore shouldn't simply be pushed aside. It has some great user logic rules that keeps it easy to use. IMHO, Sage has most of that plus a whole lot more. When I bring up a comparison, it is just to point out a couple of places I think Sage could learn from. That's all.

Maybe I used a bad choice of words, but, you can see in this thread that some other people are having the same experience I am. You can also see to me the message from the senior members as well, which comes across as who cares about Tivo, and this probably ain't going to change. By golly

Last edited by astribli; 03-07-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Sage User

I found another issue with this subject. If you have a favorite scheduled to record from 10-11, and you manually record something scheduled 9-10:01; the entire favorite is cancelled. Wouldn't it be logical to start recording it a minute late?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
I found another issue with this subject. If you have a favorite scheduled to record from 10-11, and you manually record something scheduled 9-10:01; the entire favorite is cancelled. Wouldn't it be logical to start recording it a minute late?
If there is another showing of the favorite, sage would reschedule the favorite recording. If not, then I think you would be notified of the conflict. At that point, you could easily adjust the recording start/stop times using the padding options.

Now having said that, I do think that the conflict handling could be improved a bit. As Stanger mentioned above, it would be nice if sage could immediately determine if there is a conflict when a manual recording is set and pop up a list of alternate conflict-free showings of that program for selection. If none are available, then easily selectable options to cut recording short on the earlier program or start recording late on the later program would be nice.

But I think this sort of decision should always be presented to the user and not applied automatically by Sage. I would be really ticked if sage decided to not record the first few minutes of 24 because a children's movie for my son overlapped by a few minutes. Just my .02

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 03-07-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev
Wow, that is bad! Yet another argument in favor of having Sage prompt the user immediately if it detects a conflict while adding a new manual recording.

Seems to me if someone in the household tries to add a manual recording, AND there is an immediately known conflict (we can't predict what will happen in the future and that is where the existing favorite rules work), Sage should ask:

1. Cancel manual recording and leave things alone
2. Add manual recording and cancel previously scheduled recording.
3. Add manual recording and start previously scheduled recording late.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yes, Sage is not Tivo. We can all agree on that. However, Tivo has millions of users (happy I might add) and therefore shouldn't simply be pushed aside.
There may be some value to that argument, but as my wife (along with millions of others) is still more than happy with VHS, I'm not sure I'd go along.

Quote:
Maybe I used a bad choice of words, but, you can see in this thread that some other people are having the same experience I am. You can also see to me the message from the senior members as well, which comes across as who cares about Tivo, and this probably ain't going to change. By golly
I think that's right, who cares about Tivo, that's the way it should be. If your points have value, they don't need Tivo's support. I followed that other thread too, and many people also supported it as an option, and it wasn't dismissed - Andy said he was clarifying for the next release. None of the users on that thread will determine if the feature is added, only Sage can do that.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Guess it is semantics. Someone on that thread said "we" which I took to mean they were part of Sage.

Clarifying the intent of an option doesn't help fix the problem.

I don't know who Andy is.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Guess it is semantics. Someone on that thread said "we" which I took to mean they were part of Sage.
No, the only person who posts on these forums who has any clout at Sage is Narflex (Jeff). The rest of us, "we" are users...

Quote:
Clarifying the intent of an option doesn't help fix the problem.
Given that the wording of the option gave you the impression that it worked differently than it does, it helps to clarify. For most of us it's not a problem and doesn't need a fix, but whether there will be a new option is down to Sage, who were not posting to that thread.

Quote:
I don't know who Andy is.
Andy is Opus, who is a moderator here and produces the stock STV, but is not an employee or representative of Sage. Andy, please correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Andy is Opus, who is a moderator here and produces the stock STV, but is not an employee or representative of Sage. Andy, please correct me if I'm wrong!
I work for SageTV.

- Andy
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I work for SageTV.
Obviously, I don't!