SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Sage Fanatic

Favorites Force Recording?

Any way to have a Favorite Recording Forced to record?

If I have a favorite that records a show say every week at 8pm, my kid can accidently over-write that recording by selecting to record a show from the movie guide that starts at 8pm.

So I am looking to see if I can tell Sage to record a particular show in my favorites as #1 in the list and NOT have anything else over write that recording.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Sage Icon

I don't think so, because a manual recording always beats a favourite. Maybe there should be a "prefer favourites" option...
(I can hear Narflex groaning from here!)
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

There should be an option.

My wife setup her favorite lists and here comes my daughter and schedules other recordings wiping out my wife's favorties.

It would be good to have either a warning message or a by-pass option when there is a conflict.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Sage Icon

There will be conflict shown won't there? Your daughter will ignore it, but the conflict should show...
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients
Old 03-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Another option is to buy another encoder card so that such a conflict doesn't occur.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgillyon
There will be conflict shown won't there? Your daughter will ignore it, but the conflict should show...
Yes and try explaining that to a teenager

That little tiny box showing a conflict is not very visible nor do many pay attention.

I have 3 tuner cards with almost 2TB of disks (9 disks). There are always conflicts with recordings.

I still say that a favorites option is lacking. It needs an option by which you can state that nothing can overwrite it, or to warn if being overwritten.

By default, anytime someone picks a recording and a conflic occurs, a warning should be displayed immediately with an approval ( YES / NO ) box. It is my opinion that this is an oversight that Sage missed and needs to fix.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
SageTVaholic

SO what you're saying is the conflict warning, icon and screen isn't enough to let you know this is happening? I have 6 tuners so this rarely occurs. But even my wife recognizes the conflict icon......and calls me to fix it. An option for the favorite to win all could be good.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
SO what you're saying is the conflict warning, icon and screen isn't enough to let you know this is happening?
Gerry
Yes. Furthermore, if you already have conflicts (the icon shows up) and you add more conflicts, you get no mew notification.

With my setup, adding more tuners wont help. One of my tuners is connected to my TimeWaner digital box. I am not going to pay for more TW boxes - they are expensive.

A simple pop up window telling you that a conflict has occured the moment you say "Record this show" would go a long way to minimize surprises. This window can be an option that be turned on/off inside Sage configuration screen.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123
Yes. Furthermore, if you already have conflicts (the icon shows up) and you add more conflicts, you get no mew notification.
The idea behind the conflict resolution is that you acknowledge the existing conflicts so that you are notified of new ones.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
The idea behind the conflict resolution is that you acknowledge the existing conflicts so that you are notified of new ones.
I am willing to bet that you have no kids or any other person using your SageTV?
Old 03-03-2007, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes and try explaining that to a teenager

That little tiny box showing a conflict is not very visible nor do many pay attention.
That's very easy. You're the parent simply explain everything to the kid and if they're too careless to do as you ask take their HTPC privileges away. Teenagers are plenty old enough to manage something as simple as Sage's conflict resolution.

I'm not disagreeing with the idea of the feature I'm just amazed at how many people here talk about their kids or wives dictating how the HTPC is used. I built my HTPC and it is my hobby. The family is free to use it, but when it's all said and done it's my toy. If they have a problem with using it responsibly and disrupt other family members recordings they can stop using it and purchase their own Tivo.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
That's very easy.
You remind me of that senator wanting to pass a new law that kids cannot be spanked. Only a person with no kids would ever dream that up.

Anyone can miss the tiny box of conflicts when in a hurry. The ability to say record this show and don't let ANYTHING over write it is a must option in my book.

I am willing to bet money that it is only a matter of time that they implement this "feature". More will complain with time
Old 03-04-2007, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You remind me of that senator wanting to pass a new law that kids cannot be spanked. Only a person with no kids would ever dream that up.
I didn't realize that teaching children responsibility was now considered an unrealistic idea. Growing up everything I used had rules involved with its use. Whether it be my dad's stereo or his guns. If I didn't abide by the rules I lost the privilege to use it. I can assure you there are many people who experienced the same thing growing up. Not expecting children today to abide by rules of use is just bad parenting IMO.

Quote:
Anyone can miss the tiny box of conflicts when in a hurry. The ability to say record this show and don't let ANYTHING over write it is a must option in my book.

I am willing to bet money that it is only a matter of time that they implement this "feature". More will complain with time
As I said before I'm not disagreeing with the idea of the feature just with the idea that you can't control your teenager. Maybe I'm mistaken and your teenager sets the rules in your home. I just assumed you made the rules.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

I agree there should be an option to change the default conflict resolution. The whole reason I set up favorites is to make sure I don't missing a recording of one of my favorite shows. There should be a way for me to tell SageTV to honor that.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Firstly, I don't think favorites/manual recording behavior/priorities should be changed. The whole purpose of manual recordings is to force a specific recording, Favorites are saying "I want every episode of this show".

The reason you don't need favorites to override Manuals is because Favorites have the capability of being dynamically rescheduled.

That said, there is an enhancement to the mechanization of scheduling Manuals that I've wished for on occasion. Sage already has the "Record one of n future airings", what would really be nice is if Sage would/could show you which ones of those future airings conflict with other scheduled recordings.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohn
I agree there should be an option to change the default conflict resolution. The whole reason I set up favorites is to make sure I don't missing a recording of one of my favorite shows. There should be a way for me to tell SageTV to honor that.
Excatly my point.

I think that an option in the Favotires section asking if the Favorite can / cannot be over written by a manual recording is needed. Or at the very least, "Manual Confirmation Overide" option enable/disable is needed.

This way, if it's enabled and someone tries to do a manual recording and there is a conflict, a warning pops up and you have to Approve it or not.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I didn't realize that teaching children responsibility was now considered an unrealistic idea.
IMO, there are a *lot* of things that parents need to teach children, even things that have nothing to do with the adult's toys. However, with that said, wouldn't the world be a better place if Sage Favorites Options included one more checkbox that said "Always prefer this favorite over a manual selection"?

- Don
(2) Hauppauge TV-PVRs PCI -250 and -150; (1) Media Extender, (1) other Placeshfter license, (1) old client license
Server connected to router using Airlink101 Powerline adapters; MVP hardwired (to switch w/server) for now (sigh)
Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate
IMO, there are a *lot* of things that parents need to teach children, even things that have nothing to do with the adult's toys. However, with that said, wouldn't the world be a better place if Sage Favorites Options included one more checkbox that said "Always prefer this favorite over a manual selection"?

- Don
It's quite likely world peace would soon follow.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate

- Don
Don. Thank you for stating the obvious.

I wanted to say that but thought - I better not go there - too easy of a lure.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
This sort of thing has been brought up a couple times before so I wouldn't be surprised to see this eventually as well.