SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Windows Vista and SageTV Experiences

**WORK IN PROGRESS**
I just recently installed Vista Ultimate on a PC and had a few frustrating moments figuring out some of the nuances. I would like to use this thread to host all collected tips or tricks until something more formal is done. This is due to the changes in how Vista allows applications to be run.
  • SageTV properties files are stored in \Users\username\AppData\local\VirtualStore\program files\SageTV
  • Unsigned applications will always require a pop up window unless:
  • You disable UAC or
  • You allow the specific apps with the Application Compatibility Tool
  1. Download and install the Application Compatibility Toolkit (link below).
  2. This does not have to be installed on the Vista machine. It also requires .Net 1.1
  3. Open the Compatibility Administrator application with elevated credentials.
  4. In the left hand pane, right-click on the database under Custom Databases and select Create NewàApplication Fix
  5. Enter the name and other details of the application you want to alter behavior on and then browse to it to select it.
  6. Click Next until you are in the Compatibility Fixes screen. (Note: I changed the emulated OS to none)
  7. To prevent being prompted to elevate an application (which means that it will always use the less privileged credential to run) place a checkmark next to RunAsInvoker.
  8. Click Next and then Finish.
  9. Select File and Save As. Save the file as a filename.SDB type file in a directory you will easily find it.
  10. Copy the <filename>.sdb file to the Vista computer you want to alter the elevation prompt behavior on.
  11. Open an elevated command prompt.
  12. Run the command (without the quotes, assuming you copied the file to the Windows directory on C:):
    Code:
    “sdbinst c:\windows\<filename>.sdb”
    and then press enter.
  13. Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0
  14. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
  • Default network settings may cause issues with MVP. Turn off TCP scaling to resolve.
  • Disable the MCE Services (credit Motofreak75)
  1. Open MMC
  2. Load the group policy object editor
  3. Open the Local computer policy
  4. User config
  5. Admin templates
  6. Windows components
  7. Windows Media Center
  8. Do not allow Media center to run : Enable
  • Disable MultiMedia Class Scheduler Service for improved network performance
    After figuring out how to enable ripped dvd playback from my SageTV Linux server, I noticed issues with file breaks. Reading a bit on the Samba listserv uncovered this Basically, disable the MMCSS service and remove it as a dependency for Windows Audio.

Check out this for a patch. Microsoft is working on a fix.

Last edited by bcjenkins; 09-16-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:59 PM
SageTVaholic

I will be following this up as I have more time to write. In the mean time please post corrections, etc.

Quite a few pieces of info were found in the forums. I will post links later to OPs.

Has anyone figured out how to permanently disable ehtray.exe? Mine keeps creeping back into the run section of the registry.

B
Old 03-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
there is way you can disable Media Center total in group policy object editor, thats the only way I found that works for sure.

MMC (from the run commandz)
group policy object editor
Local computer policy
User config
Admin templates
Windows components
Windows Media Center
Do not allow Media center to run : Enable

that will take care of green button BS

and by disabling UAC run admin users as standard user solves the rest of the UAC BS.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I am think what MS is doing with UAC is not really a bad thing, they just make it very difficult if you don't want them to do it for a particular application.

thanks for the tip on the green button though, I will add it to the first post.

B
Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Is anyone having issues with an MCE remote in SageTV on Vista? I don't have the support for the following:

Play, Stop, FF1, FF2, RW1, RW2, Back and maybe others. I have emailed this in, but would like to know if there is anyone else.

B
Old 03-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
I dont have any issues with my 2005 MCE remote. (so far)
Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

I get an error that MCE is disabled when I press the green button.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Is ehtray.exe still loading for you? Have you turned off MCE services as described above? If you want the green button to launch SageTV, you need Matrix35's sagetray.exe program and setup a sdb file for it if you have UAC enabled. I can post mine if you'd like. otherwise instructins above.

B
Old 04-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah I was still having issues with that. I'll give it a shot sometime this week. It hasn't been too bad only because I use Vista MCE for DVD playback because I still haven't had any success getting dvd menu overlays to show. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Unhappy Not that easy ...

I have spent hours installing VISTA (quick) and getting SageTV to work (hours and hours, and still not working). I do believe that UAC is causing the problems.

I have enabled SageTVService.exe and SageTVServiceControl.exe to run with administrator rights (right click on it, Properties, Compatibility, Privelege Level). If I do not do this, the control will not work and the service will not become active.

If I start SageTV (client), I can upload EPG data (XMLTV) and work with SageTV as normal. If I start the service and than run SageTV, I can no longer get it to work. I can go through the configuration, including XMLTV upload, but have no channels nor guide. I had a feeling that SageTV could not communicate with the Hauppauge TV card as during setup of the card no preview window was working. But if I search for channels SageTV detects them - just doesn't add them.

I assumed that starting 'normal' would use the data under "C:\Users\'user'\AppData\Local\VirualStore\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV", and if running under admin use the data under "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV". I have loaded SageMC in both, and could see that the properties in both locations were updated.

Well, not sure if I got a direct questions, as I'm too confused by all this.

I did try the Application Compatibility Tool, but which apps to put in it?

Guess next test will be to disable UAC, but than I get those annoying security warnings ..

Frustration and lack of sleep are the result

If anybody has a script on how s/he got it to work under VISTA, do post it. Will try anything

Jan

Jan
Old 04-14-2007, 05:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Jan,

Just to confirm, are you running 6 or 6.1? What user are you running the service under?

B
Old 04-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up

B,

THANKS ! You made me look in the right place.

I'm running SageTV V6.1.8.133. I created a special user to run the service, and had already written that this one has admin rights. However I thought I would not assume but double check. And yes , it was running as a standard user. Changed it into admin and SageTV with service is working just fine.

So by configuring both exe's to run always at admin level, I only need to 'UAC-confirm' when I start SageTVServiceControl.exe. As I do almost never use this, once started I let it run, not a real issue. So still seeing some benifits in this UAC setup.

Got however 2 questions you may answer:

1. I did 'test' the Application Compatibility Tool - did try it out on SageTVService.exe, not sure if I did it correctly and if it worked.
Why is this than required?

2. If UAC puts the the 'variables' as properties files and Wiz.bin under the user directory structure, is that not an issue when you want more people to use it (all with different logon's)? E.g., if my wife has her logon, her 'variables' would be stored under her user directory structure.

Not an issue for me, we only use one user-ID/logon, was just wondering.

Jan
Old 04-14-2007, 04:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParedis View Post
B,

THANKS ! You made me look in the right place.
My server runs on 2K3, so I didn't know how much help I would be. I have a client on Vista.

Quote:
Got however 2 questions you may answer:

1. I did 'test' the Application Compatibility Tool - did try it out on SageTVService.exe, not sure if I did it correctly and if it worked.
Why is this than required?
The Application Compatibility Tool is to help get rid of the "Do you trust this application?" messages. For me it was useful because I have an MCE remote and in order for the green button to launch SageTV, I use a piece of software from Matrix35. The software runs at startup and you have to click the approval button before it will launch. Very handy if you reboot the machine for any reason. If you run HIP, Girder, any other remote software you likely have to do the same thing unless the developer signed the application. Not likely in the free market due to the expense.

Quote:
2. If UAC puts the the 'variables' as properties files and Wiz.bin under the user directory structure, is that not an issue when you want more people to use it (all with different logon's)? E.g., if my wife has her logon, her 'variables' would be stored under her user directory structure.

Not an issue for me, we only use one user-ID/logon, was just wondering.

Jan
Interesting point. I run a dedicated client machine so this is not an issue for me. Although, it might be nice for each user to have their own settings.

Glad it's working though

B
Old 05-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

MCE Remote Replacement Driver for Vista

I now have full control over my MCE remote in Vista like I did with XP.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Vista (Business) works great for my dedicated STV Client.

I turned that stupid UAC crap off. I'm running the Aero desktop. No MCE junk to worry about in Business edition.

I can now watch silky-smooth 1080i HD content without using buggy FSE mode. I can also resume my HTPC from Standby mode without STV Client spazzing out about a lost network connection and forgetting to pull up the menu from the server until I press the menu button on my remote.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
Vista (Business) works great for my dedicated STV Client.

I turned that stupid UAC crap off. I'm running the Aero desktop. No MCE junk to worry about in Business edition.

I can now watch silky-smooth 1080i HD content without using buggy FSE mode. I can also resume my HTPC from Standby mode without STV Client spazzing out about a lost network connection and forgetting to pull up the menu from the server until I press the menu button on my remote.
How is your network performance with the client? I had read a few stories about UAC adding a lot of overhead on network file copies, etc... Maybe as a client though it doesn't matter.

What video card/MPEG decoder are you using, and what driver? I have also heard about lots of issues with Vista graphics drivers.

I've had my fair share of issues with FSE, so I'm curious if Vista would fix my problems... I am a Microsoft Action Pack subscriber, so I have a lot unused Vista business licenses hanging around).

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
How is your network performance with the client? I had read a few stories about UAC adding a lot of overhead on network file copies, etc... Maybe as a client though it doesn't matter.

What video card/MPEG decoder are you using, and what driver? I have also heard about lots of issues with Vista graphics drivers.

I've had my fair share of issues with FSE, so I'm curious if Vista would fix my problems... I am a Microsoft Action Pack subscriber, so I have a lot unused Vista business licenses hanging around).

Thanks,
Mike
All UAC does is block applications from writing to the registry until you click Continue. Network performance seems comparable to XP.

I'm running a factory clocked 8500GT with the latest Vista beta drivers. Video decoder is the nVidia PureVideo decoder. Smart video detection, per-pixel adaptive de-interlacing and Inverse Telecine enabled.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hey GT, are you running that 500 tuner board with Vista 64-bit? If so, where did you find the drivers? That's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance,
--John
Old 05-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkoenig View Post
Hey GT, are you running that 500 tuner board with Vista 64-bit? If so, where did you find the drivers? That's driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance,
--John
Nope, my Sage server is still running XP. The Vista client is tunerless.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

For those running Vista, you may run into the issue I did with the drivers not containing an overscan/underscan adjustment tool like the XP drivers did. In 1080i, I could not see the taskbar or the sidebar. I found a beta version of 160.03 of the drivers that have the adjustment tool in it and work great with my fanless Gigabyte 8500GT.

Another point of interest is the Purevideo Drivers in Vista. Technically they aren't supported in Vista, but you can install them and get them running. If you get them running and try to test playback out of windows media player, you will notice its running in software mode. However, if you test playback in SageTV, you should notice its running in hardware accelerated mode. If you can't seem to get the purevideo decoder to set itself as default, check out this tool for Vista http://mediacenterexpert.blogspot.co...r-utility.html