SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any good integrated transcoding solutions for HD

Has anybody been able to pull off acceptable, semi-reliable transcoding for HD? I've tried the built-in transcoding and played around with the parameters to no avail. It doesn't work about half the time and the quality is very poor given the file sizes.

I've tried evilpenguin's custom plugin and all of my transcoded HD content either has no sound or is out of sync.

Has anybody had any luck using either of these for HD? Are there parameters that can be tweaked for better results?

I'd like to avoid solutions that involve leaving Sage to execute the compression. I am contemplating ditching Sage over my inability to archive anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
F
Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

What kind of reductions in size are you expecting? Many broadcasters are already squeezing HD to the bare minimum. More efficient codecs can do better but they're significantly hampered by the artifacts introduced by the broadcast compression.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm expecting something on the order of 1/2 for comparable quality and maybe 1/5 for something still decent and watchable. I'm not getting anything near the results I've seen with other solutions.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Are you looking for realtime transcoding while streaming or just the ability to convert existing files to other formats as a batch process?

Niel's webserver plugin recently had transcoding support integrated. It uses vlc as the transcoder and can use a variety of vlc's supplied codecs.

You can run vlc separately to transcode most formats and perhaps setup a batch file to run this process outside of sage.

http://www.videolan.org
Old 04-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'd like something launchable from Sage that can transcode shows for archiving. I'm not sure if the webserver does this.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Sage Expert

OT but sometimes HD on my 46" RPTV doesn't look any better than SD on a 36". Like Stranger said, with HD your goal is not to over-compress since its already heavily compressed by the broadcaster.

Eventually I'll get around to incorporating HD compression in my script but I find that the recipe for HD is a whole other ball game. I am leaning towards a script that will convert 1080i to 720p (or even lower for comressibility). It will be de-interlaced and striped of commercials.

You should be getting very good quality from Evil Penguins program though so I would think that you should ask him if there is anything in your config preventing it.

My script will NOT be integrated in Sage unless or until someone writes a plugin. One issue with my script is that it is a resource hog and almost certainly requires a secondary computer to process the mpg.

Last edited by roxy99; 04-09-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

EvilPenguin's converter gets good quality, but the audio-video sync is badly off on HD recordings. Actually, it seems to work OK for progressive content, but not for interlaced (1080i).

Last edited by fyodor; 04-09-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
EvilPenguin's converter gets good quality, but the audio-video sync is badly off on HD recordings. Actually, it seems to work OK for progressive content, but not for interlaced (1080i).

Is the audio synch consistently off? If so then probably the audio delay factor is wrong. Do you chop out commercials from the Mpg or do you process avi with commercials and then merely skip them? Chopping out the commercials could cause problems at the splice points on the newly compressed de-commercialized avi. My batch file gets around that problem because I frameserve : )

And if progressive content is working fine then probably the 60fps in interlaced encoding is screwing up the timing. You should be able to de-interlace the 1080i with Evilpenguins plugin. Try to aim for a 720p file and don't bother trying for 1080p.

Last edited by roxy99; 04-09-2007 at 02:49 PM.