SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Sage Expert

Remote acting funny with new v6.1 on MVP

This is strange....I upgraded to v6.1...I unplugged my MVP's before upgrading and then plugged them back in after upgrading and set them to the current STV...

When I go to the screen to "watch now" or "browse videos"...I press "select" and nothing happens. I press down and then up to get back to the same command and now press "select" and it works. It happened with my wife first and I couldn't believe it. So, I tried and sure enough, that's what happened. I then went to the other MVP in the house and the same thing happened..It does this only at the first menu item on a list. I press right or down and then come back to the original first menu item and press "select" and it works.. This does not happen on my main computer system and did not happen with any other version of Sage..I just upgraded to V6.1

I told you its strange...

Gary Ellis
Old 04-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyellis View Post
This is strange....I upgraded to v6.1...I unplugged my MVP's before upgrading and then plugged them back in after upgrading and set them to the current STV...

When I go to the screen to "watch now" or "browse videos"...I press "select" and nothing happens. I press down and then up to get back to the same command and now press "select" and it works. It happened with my wife first and I couldn't believe it. So, I tried and sure enough, that's what happened. I then went to the other MVP in the house and the same thing happened..It does this only at the first menu item on a list. I press right or down and then come back to the original first menu item and press "select" and it works.. This does not happen on my main computer system and did not happen with any other version of Sage..I just upgraded to V6.1

I told you its strange...

Gary Ellis
I've noticed this too...but I've had this problem in prior betas.

Suppose I should pull out the ol' bug report...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've got the same issue. I've just been living with it as I don't use the extender much. Just have to move focus once then hit enter again.

HC
Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Sage Expert

Exactly my problem....

I wonder if it could be in the Nielm plugin for customizable pages...since it only seems to do it for me once I am off the first page...

Gary Ellis
Old 04-18-2007, 06:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

I seem to have the exact same problem with my mvp as well....started with 6.1.8, noticed it after a few days of use.

And now today, my hauppauge remote that works with my pvr150 card on my server system is responding very very slowly, not the same symptoms, but broken nonetheless. Don't know if the two are related, but I can't get it to work properly anymore.

I probably should go back to 6.0 to see if sage is the culprit for my server.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Sage User

As a recent switcher from GB-PVR, I thought this was just a Sage issue. Any new ideas?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
As a recent switcher from GB-PVR, I thought this was just a Sage issue. Any new ideas?
With that name & avatar, I just can't help 'hearing' that post in a particular accent...

Anyway... I'm curious about whether this is happening while using the Hauppauge remote or while using a learning remote that has been taught the Hauppauge remote's buttons.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Another thing would happen is that I'd issue a few commands, like Info or Rewind multiple times, and the UI wouldn't change. It would eventually, but then I left SageTV open and minimized instead of sitting in the system tray and it seems to happen less often.

Wasn't there an option way back that would set a delay as to when the video would start playing on the MVP?

Lauren

Last edited by laurenglenn; 06-30-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am using a remote that I trained with the Hauppauge remote. I will try just the Hauppauge remote tonight to see if the same issues exist.

HC
Old 07-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Sage Icon

I had this same issue with 6.1. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25310

THe only thing that fixed it for me was to go back to 6.0.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Sage User

Sure enough, it looks like it was a problem with the learning remote. I have not tried to reprogram it yet. The standard MVP remote works perfectly with every press.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Sage Expert

great....another clue to this puzzle...

I originally started this thread and have had the problem ongoing. We've just learned to live with it.

Having said that, I just took batteries and put them in my old Hauppauge remote and amazing,...the select button works on all menus. I went back to my learning remote and same old problem - select works on some menus and not on others...

Thus, I deduct that the hauppauge remote must be sending a code that all menus understand and the learning remote must be sending one that only some menus understand.. But, then I guess I'm lost as to why pressing any other key on the learning remote makes the select key now send a signal that the MVP understands as "select"

The mystery continues, but now I have something new to work on..

Comments?

Gary Ellis
Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator

I thought a learning remote might be in use... the Hauppauge remote uses the RC5 IR protocol, which has a toggle bit that gets flipped each time the same key is pressed repeatedly. Pressing any other key resets the toggle state. Not all learning remotes can learn toggle codes properly.

The v6.2 beta release notes mention a new rc5_disable property that you could try using in the properties file for your MVP, found in the 'clients' subdirectory of where sagetv.exe is located. I haven't tried it, but you could set it to true while the MVP is off & then see how it works.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

I’m curious then, why when I changed back to 6.0 did my problems with the learning remote clear up? I changed nothing on the remote.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
I’m curious then, why when I changed back to 6.0 did my problems with the learning remote clear up? I changed nothing on the remote.
Are you using a Hauppauge remote and/or receiver? Is this with the MVP, or on a PC? If you aren't using an MVP, then your situation is a bit different from what is in this thread.

On a PC, SageTV does not control the Hauppauge remote, so if it doesn't receive commands from it, then I think something is happening with the remote.

- Andy
Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Are you using a Hauppauge remote and/or receiver?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Is this with the MVP, or on a PC?
I'm using an MVP with a learning remote.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Sage Expert

I am using one of the programmable JP1 remotes. URC 8820....

I did use "learning" to set the select key, which could be the problem as you described. Having said that, since this is a programmable remote, can I somehow program it to fix the toggle bit problem?

If not...good to hear that there may be some relief in site in 6.2..

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrems View Post
I'm using an MVP with a learning remote.
Then I have no idea why it changed & your previous thread about it didn't mention that you were using an MVP. Maybe the program code for SageTV's MVP remote changed.

Quote:
I am using one of the programmable JP1 remotes. URC 8820....

I did use "learning" to set the select key, which could be the problem as you described. Having said that, since this is a programmable remote, can I somehow program it to fix the toggle bit problem?
If you are programming it via JP1 tools, then you should be able to program it to use an RC5 protocol. That would be the 'cleanest' way to use a JP1-capable remote.

- Andy
Old 07-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Sage Expert

Easier said than done, I think...

I have never tried the JP1 programming...I set up everything via learning from the Hauppauge remote. So, I guess its time to learn how to JP1 program...Do you know if I can program just that one button using RC5 protocol and leave the others as they are? (I do have the cable to attach the remote to the USB port)

Also, since I am learning this, is it worth figuring out how to program keyboard commands into the remote - like for navigating a webpage?

Thanks,

Gary Ellis
Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Easier said than done, I think...

I have never tried the JP1 programming...I set up everything via learning from the Hauppauge remote. So, I guess its time to learn how to JP1 program...Do you know if I can program just that one button using RC5 protocol and leave the others as they are? (I do have the cable to attach the remote to the USB port)
It has been a long time since I looked into the JP1 tools -- I put some info in the 2nd post of link 2 in my sig lines. I think that doc has links to the JP1 sites, assuming the links are still the same. I don't remember whether it would download the learned codes in the remote & keep them as-is while you program a few other buttons... maybe it can do that.

I found out that the RC5 toggle bit support was a fairly recent thing added to SageTV for improved Hauppauge remote performance, so that was probably done for v6.1, then v6.2 added the property to allow going back to the old method to help with learning remotes that don't use the toggle bit. You could try the new beta & that property before spending time on JP1 just for one button.

Quote:
Also, since I am learning this, is it worth figuring out how to program keyboard commands into the remote - like for navigating a webpage?
I wouldn't know anything about that... or how it would send those keyboard emulations to the PC.

- Andy