SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Port Failure & Possible Feature Request

Yesterday I had an interesting situation. I was running placeshift and then the video got a bit jumpy and locked up. I thought...no problem, just kill PS and come back. Then, I got an error that placeshifter couldn't connect. So I then reboot my PC figuring it is my problem. Try again, no luck. So I wait for no show to be recording and restart the service on the server...still no dice. It was until I rebooted the server (full reset) that the port was available again. I did this via VNC (port 5400 IIRC) so i'm pretty sure it was just the 30k port that was not working.

I've just started using PS. I'm not sure of all of its operation in terms of the long hall (stability, etc). But this strikes as somthing that could and will happen again. Is there a way for Sage to try and clear ports that are non-operational on the server? Is it possible just to build it into a menu item? I prefer not to reboot the server or restart the sever since it is very rare that something isn't being recorded when i'm at home.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Sage Expert

When I've had issues like that (and they have been rare), I have gone into the setup menu and restarted the placeshifter service. That usually works.

HTH,
Stu
Old 04-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
When I've had issues like that (and they have been rare), I have gone into the setup menu and restarted the placeshifter service. That usually works.

HTH,
Stu
But shouldn't restarting the whole sage service have the same effect?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Sage Expert

You would think, but Sage does a lot with property files and license files; it may write a file somewhere that says "this placeshifter license is in use" which may not get cleared when the main service is restarted. Turning the placeshifter service off and on again may clear that hypothetical file lock.

Dunno.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
You would think, but Sage does a lot with property files and license files; it may write a file somewhere that says "this placeshifter license is in use" which may not get cleared when the main service is restarted. Turning the placeshifter service off and on again may clear that hypothetical file lock.

Dunno.
Definately possible. But I'm not too stressed about it. If it happens once a month it won't bother me. However, based upon the lack of threads of this type...i'm thinking I just got a fluke.

Now to wait for Sage to figure out why PS doesn't work on my wife's Vista lappy.