SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Harmony 520 Remote With Hauppauge Commands

I have my USB-UIRT to accept commands from my Hauppauge remote. I also have my Harmony 520 remote set to send the same commands. However, I believe the Logitech's command definition for the Hauppauge remote is incorrect.

As I understand it the Hauppauge remote uses a toggle between two different commands. When I use the real Hauppauge remote the USB-UIRT sees either one or the other of the commands. When I use the Harmony remote it seems to issue both commands in series at a single push of the button. The Hauppauge IR receiver doesn't seem to care about this but the USB-UIRT does.

I haven't been able to update my remote lately because both my client machines have Vista on them and Logitech has yet to release compatible software. I think I may just try and install the XP software and see what happens. Maybe if I contact their support and explain what is going on they can correct their definitions if they haven't already. It's probably just a missunderstanding in the way the real Hauppauge remote actually functions.

I know there are remote delay settings and stuff but I'd like to keep from messing with that stuff. Any ideas otherwise would be great.

As much as I've liked my Harmony remote the main thing I dislike about it is how much of a delay there is between the time I push the button and when the command actually gets sent. Even on regular learning remotes there is no perceievable delay. But for whatever reason the way they created the remotes introduces an unacceptable delay. Or maybe it's just my model.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Have you tried going through the command learning process in SageTV and teaching it both commands from the Hauppauge remote. That's what I do with my Hauppauge remote. I get out my keyboard for the process so that I can get both commands on the remote easily. Start programming for a particular button on the remote. Once I have the first command of the toggle for a button I then use my Keyboard to select the same command again in Sage. Only when Sage asks me to press the button again do I press a button on the remote again - and that button is the same one that I pressed the first time. When you do it like this you get both commands programmed into Sage.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Yup, that's exactly what I've done. It wouldn't learn correct commands if I did it with the Harmony remote. After playing around with it for a couple days I'm under the impression that it's only the direction controls and select button that get doubled. Navigating menus is a pain unless I use the real Hauppauge remote. I've come to love using the Hauppauge remote though because it's so responsive. Using the Harmony for the same task feels like a snail's pace.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Yup, that's exactly what I've done. It wouldn't learn correct commands if I did it with the Harmony remote. After playing around with it for a couple days I'm under the impression that it's only the direction controls and select button that get doubled. Navigating menus is a pain unless I use the real Hauppauge remote. I've come to love using the Hauppauge remote though because it's so responsive. Using the Harmony for the same task feels like a snail's pace.
Was a thought. I don't own a Harmony so I don't think I will be able to help further.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
What device from the Harmony Internet database did you base your Harmony on? Use one of the newer devices like the PVR150/500 or a newer MVP. There are various devices available-some are based on the old Hauppague remote style and some are based on the new.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Logitech finially provided Vista compatible Harmony software and I installed it last night. I've since switched to an MVP with the same remote. I'm using the MediaMVP as the device. It works ok but the Menu and Info buttons are some weird functions. I had to learn them as the Go and "i" button from the real remote. Also, the "Advance" or next track button isn't mapped by default and for whatever reason when I try to remap the functions myself it doesn't take. Kind of weird.

I also discovered that you can change the inter-button delay. The default was 500ms. I set it to the minimum of 100ms and that seems to have made it much more usable. I may try the very minimum of 0ms and see what happens. The setting is a value between 0 and 28000 but must be in increments of 100. Kind of weird but I have it working better.