SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-18-2007, 02:16 PM

SageTV for Windows Home Server

I'm confused about the newly announced product, "SageTV for Windows® Home Server."

The press release is here: http://www.sagetv.com/4_press/05_15_07_release.html

And for more info go to: http://www.sagetv.com/whs.html

I don't understand how this new "SageTV Media Server" product will be different than running the latest version of "SageTV Media Center" on a WHS computer (and using the server that comes with SageTV). I have a computer running the latest beta of WHS and I have SageTV and my TV tuner on it and it works fine.

What is this new $80 product and why would I want it? Has anybody heard enough about this to understand the difference? Thanks
Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Does this mean that SageTV will now support all x86 varieties of Server 2K3? Or do we need to be specifically running WHS?

TIA

B
Old 05-18-2007, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Does this mean that SageTV will now support all x86 varieties of Server 2K3?
What do you mean, Sage runs fine on 2K3.

Of course, my question is, what advantages does WHS have over a media server running XP or 2K3?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

What I mean is that when I reported an issue with my MVPs to Sage, they said they didn't have any reports on XP and as I was running an unsupported OS, I was SOL. :-)

B
Old 05-18-2007, 03:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddC View Post
What is this new $80 product and why would I want it? Has anybody heard enough about this to understand the difference? Thanks

From the announcement:

Quote:
The SageTV Media Server software for Windows Home Server will be available for free 15 day trial download as an easy to install add-in at http://www.sagetv.com/whs.
If it is going to be a WHS console add-in, it might add certain WHS specific functionality...

Dirk
Old 05-18-2007, 06:21 PM

Thanks flachbar. I haven't used an WHS add-in before but I can appreciate how that might be different. Would that mean I would install it via the WHS client computer (since WHS is intended to be a "headless" system)? That would be one big difference.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddC View Post
Thanks flachbar. I haven't used an WHS add-in before but I can appreciate how that might be different. Would that mean I would install it via the WHS client computer (since WHS is intended to be a "headless" system)? That would be one big difference.
Yes, you would drop it into the 'Software / Add-ins' share and should be able to install it from any client. There are already a few WHS add-ins available in the WHS/Developer forum, the Wake-On-LAN plugin is pretty cool...

Dirk
Old 05-18-2007, 07:14 PM
SageTVaholic

So is the free 25GB online storage..

Quote:
Internet Backup and Sharing Add-In for Windows Home Server Now Available
Was this post helpful ?

(note: This is a cross-post, I wanted to make sure all users could try out this new Add-In)

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the first automatic internet backup and sharing Windows Home Server Add-in. This Add-in allows you to automatically synchronize and protect all the data in your shared folders to the internet. The back-end service provides 25 GB of free storage space (provided by MediaMax) and allows you to also access and share all your files from the web.

This beta includes the following features:

Fully integrated to the Windows Home Server console
Select only the shares you want to upload
File-system level monitor for changes/additions to your Windows Home Server shares and instant uploading to secure storage servers
Access your protected files from anywhere by logging into your account at http://www.keepvault.com/login.htm
Protect files immediately or once every evening
Ability to limit the amount of bandwidth used for the uploads

We would appreciate any feedback you have by posting here, sending us an email at support_whs@keepvault.com, or visiting our forums at:

http://www.proxure.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16

Also, we are adding a complete restore utility and will post here when it is available.

Add-in download: http://www.keepvault.com/download_whs.htm

Version: 2.0, Posted 5/18/2007

Old 05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

The first I saw of this was "SageTV Announces Support for AMD LIVE!(TM) Home Cinema and Home Media Server." The announcement can be read here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22692 A little looking at the AMD site showed that these machines would be powered by WHS.

After getting the WHS beta invite I emailed sage about a trial copy of SageTv for the "Home Media Server." They responded that it was the standard windows version. I wonder if something has changed??

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 05-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Jesse, you bring about and interesting question regarding if something has changed. Currently, Sage requires the recording drive to be formatted to 64k clusters. That cluster size isn't the default with WHS, and in fact takes a bit of work (proven by gplasky on our forum), but 'can' be forced into 64k clusters.

Now, will this 'WHS' version of Sage work with the standard cluster size as designed by Microsoft?, or will the setup program for Sage detect the WHS cluster size and reformat to 64k, or will the user always have to 'hack' their way to 64k via the method Gerry discovered prior to installing SageWHS?

Sage, any comments?

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 05-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Sage Expert

I didn't think that Sage required 64k clusters, only that it performs better with them.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it's a requirement either. I just ALWAYS format that way for Sage. It'll be interesting to learn if being on a server OS makes any difference in playback without the 64k clusters.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server