SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

DVB versus U.S.?

Hey guys, what is the difference between Euro/Australia DVB tv system and US? I mean I was going through some gadgets, they have some pretty cool stuff including that dvico box that can be a pvr hd tuner also, but only works DVB? Does DVB have DRM like we have ? So stupid that we cant record tv that we pay for without having to go through so many loopholes

Mo
Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 PM
SageTVaholic

DVB is a modulation/broadcast technology, it's basically serves the same purpose as ATSC (8VSB) and QAM in the US, but is incompatible.

DVB does have provisions for Conditional Access via Common Interface modules (somewhat similar in purpose to CableCard), though to the best of my knowledge there are no "DRM" requirements for viewing/recording content that requires CA.

In the US, the only DVB is Dish Network, but it's a somewhat "tweaked" version, DVB hardware is capable of tuning Dish signals but Dish's CA system is incompatible with the European DVB CA system.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Any guess on if the Dish network CA cards will work in the twinhan that has a card slot?

Any concerns with using the Canadian methods with a paid US subscription? I see much My Theater conversation for a mostly US product, usx the twinhan is software and the Nexus doesn't have a CA slot.

Competition in this area could really give the cable companies a run for their money.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Any guess on if the Dish network CA cards will work in the twinhan that has a card slot?
No it won't, Dish doesn't use (quite) standard DVB CA.

Quote:
Any concerns with using the Canadian methods with a paid US subscription? I see much My Theater conversation for a mostly US product, usx the twinhan is software and the Nexus doesn't have a CA slot.
AFAIK, BEV is the same as Dish as far as CA goes. I don't think any of the DVB CA systems will work with either.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Sage Icon

I'm in the US just looking at ways to get HD in my machine.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:53 PM
SageTVaholic

R5000 is basically the only way if you've got Sat.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Sage User

HD thru Sat is possible. You need a DVB PCI card like Twinhan's Sat Pro 1070 and a dish to receive the signal. There is a little more to it than that but those are the basics. You wont get Dish Network or DirecTV but there are other options in the sky that have the same programming.

I would suggest looking at this forum:

http://dvbn.happysat.org/index.php

You will need to sign up before you will be able to see any of the topics.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainnuts View Post
HD thru Sat is possible. You need a DVB PCI card like Twinhan's Sat Pro 1070 and a dish to receive the signal. There is a little more to it than that but those are the basics. You wont get Dish Network or DirecTV but there are other options in the sky that have the same programming.

I would suggest looking at this forum:

http://dvbn.happysat.org/index.php

You will need to sign up before you will be able to see any of the topics.
It should be clarified that this is true for Free to Air channels.

Enrypted channels require a CAM and card which complicates matters in terms of support by and compatibility with the software used to do the tuning.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Sage Expert

The new european standard is DVB-S2, while Dish Network uses something called turbo-coded QPSK modulation in DVB-S.

The only device that I've ever heard of that can receive these signals is:

http://www.genpix-electronics.com/in...6e4a40cba948b9

But its not going to decrypt the signal, so your left with just a couple of demo channels that Dish Network has in the free and clean.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
The new european standard is DVB-S2, while Dish Network uses something called turbo-coded QPSK modulation in DVB-S.
Turbo-Coded 8PSK actually, for the HD channels. Also Dish uses a somewhat modified (thus incompatible) version of the Conditional Access/Common Interface system used by DVB.

Quote:
But its not going to decrypt the signal, so your left with just a couple of demo channels that Dish Network has in the free and clean.

Yup, like NASA and the "Woohoo! I've got Dish!" channels.