SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Question sleep after recording something

Hello,
I've just started using the trial of sage 6.1 with a view to purchasing it soon; however I have an outstanding requirement which doesn't appear to be addressed by SageTV.

When I have a TV program pre-scheduled and the PC is currently in sleep mode, it will boot up, record the show, then go back to sleep. Perfect.

However, if I am currently using the PC, and decide to press record on an ad-hoc basis, I want to know how to put it to sleep after the recording. For example let’s say I'm currently watching a film at 1am in the morning which finishes at 3am. At 2am I want to go to sleep and tell SageTV to go to sleep after its finished recording. How do I do this?

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 AM
SageTVaholic

It should, unless you're watching "LiveTV", in which case Sage can't know you've stopped watching it and will keep going.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:10 AM

thanks.

I was hoping SageTV would know then the TV program finishes becuase it would have this informaiton from the program guide.

What mode do I need to put sageTV in.

If I put it back to the main screen, it doesn't turn off automatically when the program finishes recording.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csxpcm View Post
If I put it back to the main screen, it doesn't turn off automatically when the program finishes recording.
Do you have the video playing as the menu's background, or in the preview window? Did you use Stop to stop playback before you returned to the Main Menu? As long as it is still playing, it is still in Live TV mode that stanger89 mentioned & won't be able to go to sleep. Make sure playback has been stopped or put SageTV into sleep/standby mode, which will also stop playback.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
thanks.

I was hoping SageTV would know then the TV program finishes becuase it would have this informaiton from the program guide.
It knows when the program finishes, but if you're watching LiveTV, Sage has no way of knowing if you're actually watching or not, so it keeps going until you stop it.

It sounds like you're watching LiveTV, hit the record button and then leave. That's the issue, you've never told Sage you're done watching LiveTV, just that you want to record/save the show.

Quote:
What mode do I need to put sageTV in.
As Andy mentioned, you need to make sure you stop playback when you're done watching. There are several ways to do that, pressing Stop (either the remote button or from the options menu), putting Sage to sleep. If you're on a client or running the server, closing the Sage instance (not stopping the server/service) will do it too.

Quote:
Yes, because LiveTV is still going in the background, Sage doesn't stop because there are many times you may go back to the main menu but wish to return to the program. Sage has no way of knowing you're done except the methods mentioned above.

Personally, I just put Sage to sleep whenever I'm not using it.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 PM

sorry, but when you say put sagetv to sleep, do you mean by activating the screensaver (the SageTV builtin one).

Is this necessary, or if you just leave inactive for a set amount of time at the main menu (with TV off) it goes to sleep automatically?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Sage Icon

There are a couple different sleep timers that flachbar has created that may be able to help you. You can set it up so that Sage will stop watching "live TV" or an existing recording and go to sleep. Now, if it will configure Sage to make the PC go into a suspend mode, I dunno.

Take a look at http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16310 for the normal sleep timer that can be set to sleep at a set time every day, set to turn of in a set time after setting the timer, and can even be set to turn off you TV via IR commands.

Or look at http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=203834 for an automatic sleep timer that will put Sage to sleep if you don't touch the remote within a set period of time. It only works with the SageMC UI, not the default Sage UI.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.

Last edited by ke6guj; 06-13-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: fixed name of author of sleep timers
Old 06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
sorry, but when you say put sagetv to sleep, do you mean by activating the screensaver (the SageTV builtin one).
You can select Standby on the Main Menu or the Sleep icon that is on the menu header, or you can use the Power command on your remote. Those should all power SageTV off & either start the screen saver or put it to sleep in the system tray, depending on your settings & type of client.

Quote:
Is this necessary, or if you just leave inactive for a set amount of time at the main menu (with TV off) it goes to sleep automatically?
See Detailed Setup -> General for options about using the screen saver and for it to enter sleep mode after a period of inactivity.

Playing a recording or live TV will prevent it from being inactive, so you could check out the sleep timers mentioned above if you would like it to shut off while playback is active.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.