SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Extra PATA drives = extra storage….but how???

NAS, Multi-bay External USB/FW enclosure; dedicated PC???

Want to put my old drives to some use for video or even just extra centralized storage. Currently, I’ve got 2 dedicated Client boxes and a Sage “server” in the basement in an otherwise mixed PC/Mac environment. Trying to decide which way to go. Separate NAS is workable but seems costly w/an extra PC lying around - could use the extra PC for NAS using software though. Picking up a Multi-bay External USB/FW enclosure o connect to my my Sage server seems simple enough t – any drawbacks? Or perhaps dusting off and adding drives to an old P4 1.8G box running XP Pro then sharing the drives is the way to go.

I guess I don't see how NAS (via a separate box of an old PC) is better than my other 2 options but perhaps I'm wrong. Multibay USB/FW are simple, small, and don't require another PC at all so that seems a good idea too. Finally, adding a PC simply for drives seems a bit over the top but OTOH its the cheapest option.

Recommendations? Pros/Cons?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use two external USB 2.0 enclosure for some of me TV recording hard drives and they work great.

My Dad has his entire DVD library on a bunch of Lcaie USB 2.0 drives and they work great too.

External USB and firewire drives are a great way to add external storage at a low cost. I'd go that way and just plug them right into your server.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 AM
SageTVaholic

If you have some old hardware laying around you could use this NAS.(http://www.serverelements.com). It's cheap, easy, very fast and very reliable.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
I just bought a NexStar NAS HD Enclosure. I'll let you know how it goes after I put it through it's paces.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
Okay. It works as advertised. Installation and configuration is very Linksys-y. Transfer speeds are about what I expected (24Mb/s) over a switched LAN. It's pretty quiet and has a configuration option to spin-down the drive after a pre-determined length of inactivity. I've got a 250GB Seagate in it right now but it says it can handle up to a 500GB drive.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

OK, forgive my ignorance here, and perhaps this is my specific question, but how is NAS (either on a PC or its own box) better than simply plugging an my old PC into the network and sharing the drives (assuming portability is a non-issue)?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Sage Icon

Not entirely sure but I think a NAS dedicated PC does not require a full-blown OS to be installed. Less maintanence and overhead and just needs barebone low-end hardware...
Let me know if I got this wrong because I am thinking of going on a similair path with an old PC?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm going the free-standing NAS route because I don't want yet another PC on all the time. Plus, we're talking PATA drives here and my old computer only has 1 IDE connector on the motherboard. That limits me to 2 drives unless I get a controller card and good ones aren't cheap. That's just me though.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Here's a completely different approach, assuming you still have some unused SATA connectors in your existing PCs:

Sell the old PATA drives and use that money plus what you would have spent on NAS or USB enclosures to buy new, high-capacity SATA drives. You may not break even in terms of up-front costs, but in terms of power consumed per GB, you'll probably come out ahead, so your long-term operating costs should be lower.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

I am think of doing just that.
I am getting ready to upgrade and sell off my 4*250GB Seagate Sata drives with a 3Ware 9500s-8 Raid-5 card. Right now I have 2 3Ware cards one in the Sage Server and another in a full PC acting as a SageClient and a NAS.
I am gearing up for the HD extender so I want to rid myself of the Client and the Raid-5 setup and use that money to offset the purchase of 4 750GB drives...
The 4*400GB drives in the Sage server will go into USB enclosures for backups.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Sage Expert

Well you could get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816124001

Thats a PCI card with 2 IDE connectors (buy 2 for 4 HDD's). If you dont have room in your server case for more pc's buy a new case. I know Antech sells a case that can house 6 HDD's, i know because I have one.

Personally, I'm waiting for 1 TB drives to fall to about $250 then I'm building a 5 disk raid-5 array. Yeah I know that could be 1-2 years away.

Antec case I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129025

Last edited by lobosrul; 06-21-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Well you could get something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816124001

Thats a PCI card with 2 IDE connectors (buy 2 for 4 HDD's). If you dont have room in your server case for more pc's buy a new case. I know Antech sells a case that can house 6 HDD's, i know because I have one.

Personally, I'm waiting for 1 TB drives to fall to about $250 then I'm building a 5 disk raid-5 array. Yeah I know that could be 1-2 years away.

Antec case I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129025
Thats a regular IDE controller card. Each port will support two drives. So one card for 4 drives.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyman1 View Post
Thats a regular IDE controller card. Each port will support two drives. So one card for 4 drives.
Oh yeah, your right, one card would support 4 devices. I forgot that whole master/slave thing.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Sage Icon

beware: some old/cheap IDE controller cards have a < 128GB limit.
As I recall, you need to ensure it supports 48 bit LBA (logical block addresses)
Old 07-01-2007, 10:41 AM
SageTVaholic

It had to be pretty old for it to not support LBA. I have a Promise Ultra 100TX2 that I think I bought around 2002. I'm pretty sure the model was released a couple years before that. It supports LBA in a bios/driver release in 2003.

There's a new version of the card on newegg for about $30.