SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Anyone else having new issues with wMVP?

Just wondering if anyone else might be having issues with the new release?

Running two MVP's on wireless network through server with all the bugs worked out (firewall and encryption mainly) and was consistantly working great with no jitters to speak of.

Installed new release and BAM!

MVP locates preferred server and loads the multiple screens...but right as it would normaly show the menu ...the black screen of death arrives and it never loads.

Wondering if it was just me and mine.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Have you unplugged the MVPs since upgrading Sage? That will basically clear their memory, causing them to completely reload the Sage MVP miniclient. Anytime you upgrade the Sage server you should unplug the MVPs for about one minute.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Sage User

Yes...about 25 times they have been unplugged trying to get them to load.
Alot of the help is advanced help for hubs and switches.
I have a small home network.
One main wired computer upstairs and two lower level (wireless) computers.
Then I have the wireless MVP's (2).
I have a linksys 2.4 GHz that has been working dandy, as I stated, once I set firewall permissions and wep keys.
No "lag" if you will.
Always johnny on the spot for me and trusted.

New INFO...

I think the power went out!!!!

My router is set to 192.168.1.100 and firewall settings allow sage to have full access to 192.168.1.100 through .104.
Depending who was on-line downstairs...sage would report different preferred server addys.
When no one was on line on the wireless comps downstairs...it would have a preferred server of .101
I noticed today that the power clock on the microwave was flashing.
Then I noticed that sage's preferred server is always coming up as .103 even though no one is on-line but the main computer running sages server.
where as before...it was always different.

I tried to enable debugging but when I start sage the dos window appeared and states java something unknown and keeps cycling and never loads to see server info.
I uninstalled all java and folders and re-installed and "sage system info" (through help) states running latest version and still no good.
What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for taking the time to read and post.

RGill
Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm guessing its not a firewall or network issue if the MVP starts working. If you unplug the MVP, it'll have to reload the software off the server the next time you turn on the MVP. You could try that, and watch the network traffic in the task manager info to make sure its communicating with the server. If its not, it could be a firewall issue.

I don't really understand why there are different computers that the MVP is trying to connect to. The Sage server is only on one computer, right? And you don't have the MVP software installed on any other computer, do you?

Your problem with Sage and java seems quite odd. I've never heard of that and have no idea what the problem could be.

Another thing you could try connecting to the server with a placeshifter client. I think the placeshifter and the MVP work pretty much the same in the server's mind.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Sage User

Smile

I looked at it like this, (could be wrong)
first...
main computer not running ...neither is sage or sage server.
The two wireless computers are both on downstairs
taking up the .101 and .102 slots.
I start main computer and sage with sage server loads at start up.
All good.
I start an MVP and it states "ip is 192.168.1.100" but the preferred server listing comes up as .103 and all is well(listing my main computer name in full as well).
If no computers are on when I start sage server it still states "ip addy is 192.168.1.100" but the preferred server now shows up as 192.168.1.101.

My preferred server keeps showing up as 192.168.1.103 even though no others are on????

After reading your last post I unplugged everything...all computers,routers and Bbandmodems.

Guess what?
Yep.
Fired all back up and preferred server went back to .101 with all other comps
shut down.

Kick me now.

Next time i will try this before bothering your poor soul.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Don't feel bad. I posted messages in several threads, and also contacted Sage technical support, about a problem I was having with the MVP after upgrading Sage. It turns out all I had to do was unplug the MVP for a little while and then it worked. I felt pretty silly.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Sage Icon

OK, you'd be well served to set your Sage server on a static IP address, either by setting it in Windows, or in your router with a DHCP host reservation. If set in Windows, set the static IP address to one outside of the router's DHCP IP range.

That way, you won't have the issue of the Sage server getting new IP addresses from time to time.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 PM
SageTVaholic

I pretty much end up giving all my computers a static IP address. I personally don't like setting them up via windows, so I always do it on the router. Unfortunately for you, last I checked Linksys routers didn't have a way to assign static IP addresses. That's why I downloaded and installed HyperWRT on my WRT54G.

But, while I would guess you have a WRT54G router, I'm guessing you have a newer version, which can't run HyperWRT. Some of the newer ones can run a slimmed-down version of DD-WRT though.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

many/most newer routers can do "static DHCP" or address reservation or whatever they call it.

A good idea is to use a wired router, not wireless. May be more sophisticated and cheaper w.r.t. routing and DHCP and so on.

For wireless, you use an access point(s) or change your wireless router to be an access point by not using its WAN port and disabling its DHCP service.

that said, I still use my WRT54G v2 (11g) with DD-WRT.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Sage User

I do have an older linksys wrt54gvz v2 with firmware version 4.21.1 sept. 2006.(Latest new version)
Status in the linksys shows wrt54g

It is old I believe.
I will google the HyperWRT and see if it will work.
Sounds like it should...this is firmware to replace the existing firmware right?

I would like to assign instead of search for preferred servers.

What lacks of the software that one might miss after install?
All I really ever check is the connected users page to see who is on and what is connected...can you do this with the "new" hyper firmware?

I can see where to assign a static to main computer but not to wireless connected users in current firmware.

And...if after install of new firmware...do I assign a static via mac address?

Most of all...thanks for the help.

Rodger
Old 06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Sage User

Just upgraded to the hyper without a hitch guys.

Are the static ip assign under...
setup
advanced routing
static routing

Destination LAN IP: . . .
Subnet Mask: . . .
Default Gateway: . . .
Interface:

Hummm...what to fill into these blanks?
Or am I in the wrong spot?

Rodger
Old 06-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgill View Post
I do have an older linksys wrt54gvz v2 with firmware version 4.21.1 sept. 2006.(Latest new version)
Status in the linksys shows wrt54g

It is old I believe.
I will google the HyperWRT and see if it will work.
Sounds like it should...this is firmware to replace the existing firmware right?

I would like to assign instead of search for preferred servers.

What lacks of the software that one might miss after install?
All I really ever check is the connected users page to see who is on and what is connected...can you do this with the "new" hyper firmware?

I can see where to assign a static to main computer but not to wireless connected users in current firmware.

And...if after install of new firmware...do I assign a static via mac address?

Most of all...thanks for the help.

Rodger
If you change firmware, which shouldn't be necessary, look also at DD-WRT. I've used it for a very long time and it has never crashed and has all the features one could want. And a large user base. Freeware.

Yes, many/most new routers (and the free replacement firmware like DD-WRT et al) have "static DHCP" or whatever you call it. You tell the router's DHCP to issue a certain IP address when a device with a given MAC address does a DHCP request. Be sure that the IP address you choose is not in the range of IP addresses that your router's DHCP server will use.

Last edited by stevech; 06-29-2007 at 01:19 PM.