SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

MVP Missing UI Options?

Ok, I have searched and searched but I can't find this in any previous threads...

I have two MVPs connecting to my server (v6.1.9), and they seem to be missing some features that are listed in the manual. For example, when I select a recording, and then the Advanced Options page, I don't have the option to Convert Recording (p. 39 of the SageTV manual). Since this command is just telling the server to start transcoding, shouldn't it be available on the MVP client? I don't have a regular SageTV client set up right now.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Did you choose the Advanced Options button so you can see the 2nd column of options? (p. 38)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Did you choose the Advanced Options button so you can see the 2nd column of options? (p. 38)

- Andy
Yes, I'm definitely looking at the Advanced Options, because I can see some of them (Future Airings, Past Airings, Watched, etc.), but there's definitely no Convert choice. In fact, after reviewing pgs. 38/39, the only option missing is Convert. Maybe my STV needs to be reloaded?

-Chris
Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

You are using the default STV? Is the show still recording?

If the recording is complete, maybe it is a format that it can't convert, or at least thinks it can't convert. In the detailed info screen for the recording, scroll down to see what the format is.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, this is the default STV, and the only STVi I have loaded is the comskip support.

The file is an MPEG2-TS, from an HDHomeRun. I am pretty sure that I haven't seen the convert option on any videos, not even from my PVR-250.

-Chris
Old 07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Sage Expert

Do you, by chance, have the hidden options (5309) enabled? The Convert option is not available when using malore's menus.

Stu
Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
Do you, by chance, have the hidden options (5309) enabled? The Convert option is not available when using malore's menus.

Stu
Interesting. I do have the hidden options enabled, but I am not using malore's menus. I will try disabling the hidden options and see if Convert reappears.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
This is not true. I run with the hidden extras enabled all the time and use malore's menus. The convert option is definitely visible that way.

The convert option should only be disabled for imported DVD videos, recordings currently in progress, or other formats that are reported as not convertable.

- Andy
Old 07-06-2007, 06:17 PM
Administrator

chrisc16: I see that you said the format of the recording is "MPEG2-TS", but in case more info is needed, what is the full description of the file format on the detailed info screen?

You may want to try the v6.2.4 beta at some point... or maybe someone running the beta can see whether the same recording format shows the Convert option in the pop-up dialog.

- Andy
Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
This is not true. I run with the hidden extras enabled all the time and use malore's menus. The convert option is definitely visible that way.

The convert option should only be disabled for imported DVD videos, recordings currently in progress, or other formats that are reported as not convertable.

- Andy

Truth is relative, I guess. Or perhaps there's an option I missed?

I run the default SageTV3.xml; the only feature I used is the hidden options. This was taken using my Placeshifter. When I disable the hidden option, I get a Convert option.

Stu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SageScreenShot.jpg (168.5 KB, 214 views)
Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
chrisc16: I see that you said the format of the recording is "MPEG2-TS", but in case more info is needed, what is the full description of the file format on the detailed info screen?

You may want to try the v6.2.4 beta at some point... or maybe someone running the beta can see whether the same recording format shows the Convert option in the pop-up dialog.

- Andy
Ok, so I disabled the hidden extras and still no convert option on the detailed menu. I don't know what sainsworth is seeing, maybe it's specific to PlaceShifter.

I also hooked up a monitor to my normally headless server, and I have the Convert option on all my Sage recordings! As to your question, I seem to have two file types:

From my PVR-250 and PVR-USB2:
MPEG2-PS[MPEG2-Video/6.4Mbps 4:3 480i@29.97fps...

And from my HDHomeRun:
MPEG2-TS[MPEG2-Video/15.0Mbps 4:3 528x480i@29.97fps...

But it doesn't really matter what my file types are, since I do have the Convert option visible on the full client. This is some sort of problem with the extender. Should I file a bug with Sage?

-Chris
Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Sage Expert

I think I figured my issue out after playing around with it; doesn't sound like the same thing at all for you however.

When I enable the malore menus under the hidden options, I've always configured the Smart Select setting for Malore Menu options to be 'smart". When I set it to option, the convert button (and all other options) appear when I click on a show.

Sorry for the confusion.

Stu
Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Truth is relative, I guess.
Appears so... we seem to be talking about different things, but you've already figured that out, I see.

Quote:
I think I figured my issue out after playing around with it; doesn't sound like the same thing at all for you however.

When I enable the malore menus under the hidden options, I've always configured the Smart Select setting for Malore Menu options to be 'smart". When I set it to option, the convert button (and all other options) appear when I click on a show.
Based on his description, I knew he was talking about the standard pop-up video options menu that you see when you select a video, but I forgot that the smart select option is the default for the malore menus & that obviously explains what you saw. For the 'smart' setting, the standard video options menu isn't used, so I don't use that setting. (Maybe I'm the only one who isn't using the Smart setting...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc16 View Post
I also hooked up a monitor to my normally headless server, and I have the Convert option on all my Sage recordings! As to your question, I seem to have two file types:

From my PVR-250 and PVR-USB2:
MPEG2-PS[MPEG2-Video/6.4Mbps 4:3 480i@29.97fps...

And from my HDHomeRun:
MPEG2-TS[MPEG2-Video/15.0Mbps 4:3 528x480i@29.97fps...

But it doesn't really matter what my file types are, since I do have the Convert option visible on the full client. This is some sort of problem with the extender. Should I file a bug with Sage?
If we are all back to talking about the standard pop-up options menu, then yes, I think you should report it to SageTV because I don't know what would prevent the Convert option from being displayed on your MVP, while it shows up in another client for the same server.

I tried it on my MVP just now & Convert was there. It is also there in Placeshifter. But, I am using the v6.2.4 beta. If you are willing to try the beta, you could see if it still occurs. The beta forum has a sticky talking about how to back up your current version so that you can revert to it after trying the beta, if you wish.

Just to make sure: on the MVP, are you using the STV that came with your version of SageTV & not one from a previous version? Check the STV version in the System Information screen.

- Andy
Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Just to make sure: on the MVP, are you using the STV that came with your version of SageTV & not one from a previous version? Check the STV version in the System Information screen.

- Andy
That was it! For some reason, my STV was still set to 5.0, and when I set it to the newest one (6.1.9) I now have the convert option! Thanks for helping me find this, now I feel stupid for not thinking of that.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

The MVP doesn't revert its STV to the default STV after an upgrade. If you've changed the STV on an MVP, you'll have to rememeber to update its STV to the latest one when SageTV is upgraded.

- Andy
Old 07-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The MVP doesn't revert its STV to the default STV after an upgrade. If you've changed the STV on an MVP, you'll have to rememeber to update its STV to the latest one when SageTV is upgraded.

- Andy
I've wondered about this before. I presume that there is no way to force the MVP to use a new STV when upgraded? I inevitably forget to change it for the first few days, until I realize that some new feature isn't available.

Matt
Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Does this mean the MVP can do individual Aspect ratios?

I've noticed that with my Sage Server/Client and Placeshifter I get an aspect ratio option per video I playback (In the menu)

On my MVP I don't have this as an option and I thought that was just a limitation of the MVP but based on this thread I'm starting to believe it should work but just doesn't.

Am I correct in thinking that I should have the same option in MVP that I do on a client and Placeshifter?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Am I correct in thinking that I should have the same option in MVP that I do on a client and Placeshifter?
Not necessarily -- there are certain options that are available only on the systems where they are effective.

- Andy
Old 07-09-2007, 04:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
On my MVP I don't have this as an option and I thought that was just a limitation of the MVP
you would be correct. MVPs play back MPEG2 720i at full screen.

The display aspect ratio is configurable, for aspect ratio of text and images.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
The display aspect ratio is configurable, for aspect ratio of text and images.
Text AR doesn't seem to change at all on my systems, on 16:9 the fonts all look stretched...images are corrected.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients