SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Sage User

Vista and MVP solution.. when?

All seems to have gone fairly quiet on the vista front in terms of getting the TCP stack bug fixed to allow the mvp to stream properly without crashing and timeout. Any news on when working solution may be available or any workarounds?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm getting ready to build my server and someone kindly pointed this issue out to me... Like you, I'm wondering if there will be a fix... or if I need to install XP on my server. Am I losing anything installing XP instead of Vista?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Sage Icon

I expect there will be a fix but I would not expect it for several more months. A month or so ago I read where they finally fixed a serious problem that they had known about since before Christmas.

If you plan to use a MVP you should not even consider using the Vista OS. I regret my decision to go with Vista everyday. I refuse to reward Microsoft by buying the XP OS. This issue is enough to drive me to a Linux type OS.

At least the work around in the beta lets me use the MVP but still a pain when the problem occurs.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to coryking
I see something about "increased timeout from 30 to 60 seconds on MVP" as a bugfix in the beta. Am I correct to assume the new beta has a workaround for the Vista TCP/IP bug?

... I think it was Joel Spolsky who said it best - Never rewrite your software and I think Microsoft made a huge mistake doing what appears to be a fairly substaintial rewrite of the TCP/IP stack :-(

Shame really becaue other than this (very) annoying TCP/IP thing I quite like Vista over XP
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Agree, I was very surprised with VISTA, in the postive way. It's just this MVP issue that keeps frustrating me and will if not fixed soon drive me away from VISTA.

Jan
Old 08-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by garystein View Post
All seems to have gone fairly quiet on the vista front in terms of getting the TCP stack bug fixed to allow the mvp to stream properly without crashing and timeout. Any news on when working solution may be available or any workarounds?
Vista is broken and has multiple TCP/IP issues. Microsoft screwed up. We should not expect Sage to fix Microsoft issues.

The best thing to do is protest against Microsoft with your pocketbook. Don't upgrade.

Robert
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
With the performance of Sagetv server with Vista. I have found the UI painful slow on my MVP. But by installing a few patches that I found from this site and others plus the removal of IP v6 helped out, but no where near the level of acceptance with XP.

Sagetv client and vista, HDtv playback a lot better but every once in a while (once every few hours) The video locks up and I have to either stop button very fast or VNC in and end task. After looking at the logs, I get the same packet issues that plagues the MVP.

Oh Microsoft why did you try to re-invent the wheel? it spins just fine !
Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
Probably because there are so many holes in the XP TCP/IP stack that it couldn't realistically be fixed without an entire rewrite.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
With the performance of Sagetv server with Vista. I have found the UI painful slow on my MVP. But by installing a few patches that I found from this site and others plus the removal of IP v6 helped out, but no where near the level of acceptance with XP.

Sagetv client and vista, HDtv playback a lot better but every once in a while (once every few hours) The video locks up and I have to either stop button very fast or VNC in and end task. After looking at the logs, I get the same packet issues that plagues the MVP.

Turn off the transparency in the STV. (I attached mine to this post)

The pre-SP1 patches that Microsoft has seems to have improved my networking a bit on my nVidia chipset, but YMMV.

Lauren
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV3-5b.zip (614.3 KB, 334 views)

Last edited by laurenglenn; 08-12-2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: updated ZIP file with all the ForegroundAlpha tags changed to 255
Old 08-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Vista is broken and has multiple TCP/IP issues. Microsoft screwed up. We should not expect Sage to fix Microsoft issues.

The best thing to do is protest against Microsoft with your pocketbook. Don't upgrade.

Robert
If we waited for Microsoft to fix their bugs that get in the way of our programming, nothing would ever work.

Lauren
Old 08-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenglenn View Post
Turn off the transparency in the STV. (I attached mine to this post)

The pre-SP1 patches that Microsoft has seems to have improved my networking a bit on my nVidia chipset, but YMMV.

Lauren
Someone told me that I should disable uPnP in Vista. All seems OK so far.

Go to Administrative -> Services ->uPnP. Set to Disabled and then Stop.

Lauren
Old 08-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenglenn View Post
Someone told me that I should disable uPnP in Vista. All seems OK so far.

Go to Administrative -> Services ->uPnP. Set to Disabled and then Stop.

Lauren
Tried this and it is better but still not working. Not as many delayed responses but responses take the same time.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Sage User

For what it is worth I use Vista with a MVP and do not have any issues. I use a wirless bridge for the MVP but doubt that has much of an influence.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevine View Post
Tried this and it is better but still not working. Not as many delayed responses but responses take the same time.
Then, try this one:

http://www.tweakhound.com/vista/tweakguide/page_9.htm

The grid at the bottom where it says "Recommended" worked great for me.

I was about to downgrade my system back to XP because using the MVP was too irritating.

This made it better.

Lauren
Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hi, just moved over the Vista and getting the issues w/ the MVP. Over time, have folks that have used find that it addresses the issue w/ the MVP? Thanks for the input.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Take a look here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27350

This would be applicable if you are playing media back on the server and trying to do anything over the network. I don't run a vista server but it improved my Vista client experiences.

B
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryking View Post
I see something about "increased timeout from 30 to 60 seconds on MVP" as a bugfix in the beta. Am I correct to assume the new beta has a workaround for the Vista TCP/IP bug?
Has anyone tried V6.2 on Vista that had MVP problems? We're trying to reproduce it again but it's not happening to us in V6.2.10 so we're wondering if this attempted workaround we put in back in V6.2.1 actually worked.

Let us know. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Sage Icon

I saw the improvement that you put in for the 6.2.4 beta. The workaround improved things by preventing it from going back to the home page. However, you can still tell when the problem occurred by a non responsive remote and or a spinning icon. You would have to wait several seconds before the MVP showed a response to the remote. I usually only test the MVP now when I see an update from Microcrap that I think may correct the problem. I have not tested it with the 6.2.10, I currently do not use the MVP because of this problem.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

I still have the issue with this using 6.2.10 and MVP and contacted suport.They said it was an issue w/ Vista, and did not give much hope.

I get the delayed response from the remote, spinning icons, messed up OSD and some rebooting.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Sage Expert

I had the problem with 6.2.8. Now on XP Pro.