SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
I'll take another crack at it this afternoon with Vista and running server again. I'll contact support after I get everything setup and running and I'll try and make the MVP puke it's bytes & pixels out again !
Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

I occasionally get placeshifter exiting when using a Vista Server (after the placeshifter becomes non-responsive for 1min or so). I assumed that it was this network problem, and as it is my test system I didn't check further.

The irony is that the placeshifter and the server were on the same machine using the 127.0.0.1 interface! Guranteed no packet loss! How Vista is managing to drop packets internally is amazing!
Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Sage User

MVP with Sage 6.2.10 (latest) is still completely unworkable. In one rare fluke I got up to 40 minutes without a freeze. Last night tried to watch a show and had 6-8 mvp reboots and freezes within an hour. Thats running the server on vista ultimate, all latest updates. The only thing we can hope for is micrsoft get the finger out and sort the tcp stack in service pack 1, out early next year. Of course I am not holding my breath. Got two mvps and they have been pretty much useless for months. The joys of MS!!
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unresponsive remote here too

Latest version here.... The fixes listed previously helped somewhat, but issues are still apparent.

Most of my MVP use is in 'time delay'. Symptoms get worse the longer the recording is (especially after half time during a football game, approx 1 1/2 hrs in).

Symptoms include unresponsive remote, when commands take 10 to 30 seconds or more to be recognized, and spinning circle on screen. Never seems to happen during first 30-60 minutes or so. Never had a freeze with the later versions of Sage. Fast forwarding through commercials is an adventure, you may not get it to stop until the next commercial break!

I dislike MS like many of you, but Vista is secure and stable. The network issues with my MVP are the only real problems I am having.. (imagine that, I used MS, secure and stable in the same sentence. Never thought I'd ever say that!)

Will stay tuned, hoping Sage and MS are communicating to find a fix.

Larry
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've put away my MVP's until this is fixed in Vista. Is this also a problem in Windows Home Server? I was thinking of setting up Sage on that, anyway, so if it also fixes my MVP problem, that might just do the trick.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Sage

For those of you that can easily reproduce this, please also try changing this property:

ui/remote_ui_connection_timeout

Go with 5000, 10000 or 45000 and see if that effects the problem at all. The default is 15000 (15 seconds).
Old 09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Sage Expert

taking a stab at it set at 45000

I'm watching last nights CSI HD my MVP. we are about 20 minutes in, and so far nothing but a bit of menu lag. about 30 seconds it take from hitting any button on the mvp remote to the time it actual happened.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Sage Expert

after a few hours, my MVP didn't reset, but would have if the timeout was less than the 45 seconds (I'm guessing). My MVP would get stuck for 30+ seconds just hitting the select button or guide button. or trying to use any type of function key buttons.

After I shut down the vista test bed and turned on the XP server everything went back to running order.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Set mine to 5000 for a test

Tried mine at 5000.... Seems a little better but the real test will be Sunday starting at 4:15 I won't just be drinking beer and watching football, I'll be helping Sage develop a better product

There seems to be different problems involving MVPs and Vista, perhaps if I detail my issues here it may help.

Unresponsive remote symptoms: Gets progressively worse during a long recording in 'time delay'. Aggravated by repetitive FF and RW, especially if I 2X FF or RW. Hitting play while in 2X FF may not take effect for 15 sec up to a minute. Pause to play is nowhere near as much of a problem. While experimenting today, I tried hitting pause, wait one sec, then play repeating 20 times in succession with very minor response problems (maybe 1 sec delay once in 20 times).

I have not had a freeze, hang or any rebooting problems with my MVP using the current release or the previous beta version.

I also do some common sense things to do in addition to the suggestions made previously in this thread (maybe we need a Vista/MVP FAQ). These may have little effect on Sage, but I have my computer set up this way.

===Make sure your disks are not powering off. (control panel, system and maintenance, power options, change plan settings, change advanced settings, hard disk). This one was enabled by default, drove me crazy with another program that runs on my weather station! The disks were spinning down and the program 'bombed' while trying to write data.

===Be sure disk defrag is running, and make sure it only runs when you are not using the computer or MVP (like 1 or 2 AM).

===Dirmon2/comskip/etc, probably best to run these also during off hours.

===Don't run a CPU intensive screen saver, or try temporarily turning it off.

Larry

One more thought... As a temporary fix, is there a way to set a button for 30/60/120 second advance/rewind in the current version? At least it won't be going into 'runaway' mode if it only jumps 30 sec at a time.

Last edited by larryf; 09-29-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblinckmann View Post
I've put away my MVP's until this is fixed in Vista. Is this also a problem in Windows Home Server? I was thinking of setting up Sage on that, anyway, so if it also fixes my MVP problem, that might just do the trick.
FWIW, I have NO PROBLEMS with my MVP's that are fed with Sage from WHS. It's been a great solution for me, but be aware that if your v.6.x key from Sage is an "upgrade key" it won't work for WHS. Sage support said that upgrades currently aren't supported with Sage for WHS.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

5000 did not work

While FF at 4X and 16X, the MVP crashed to the loading screen twice... Setting it back to 15000 for the game tonight.

I'll try to use the FF less, it's a lot more stable that way.

Larry
Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
For those of you that can easily reproduce this, please also try changing this property:

ui/remote_ui_connection_timeout

Go with 5000, 10000 or 45000 and see if that effects the problem at all. The default is 15000 (15 seconds).

I'm going to upgrade to SageTV 6.2.10 (now on 6.1.9) and will try above settings with 45000. If that don't work, than I'm at the end of my frustration and will go back to XP. It's just no fun having that MVP reboot a few times per evening (I only use my MVP).

Having said this, 6.2.10 is giving me issues with my video library - it just can't display them correctly. But that's for another day and thread. First check if my MVP has less problems, else I'm re-installing everything anyway.

Jan
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Success (to some degree)

Did the SageTV upgrade and changed the time_out value into 45000.

Past behaviour: the MVP did reboot a few times every evening, mostly when using the remote to perform an 'action' as FFW, Select, Scroll. Very rarely while just playing a video. If I did an 'action' while watching a video, the video would keep on playing but all control displays would 'freeze' (e.g., counter would no longer progress) and no commands would be accepted. Than after some while my MVP would reboot.

New behaviour: still got the 'freeze' instances, but there's no reboot. After a while the application 'unfreezes' and I can continue working.

Not resolving the source of the issue, but at least increasing my MVP experience again to a level I can 'survive' some while longer VISTA (hopefully the source of the problem is fixed soon).

Jan

And now open a thread somewhere else on the issues I got now by upgrading SageTV
Old 10-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Sage User

Finally Working

Mananged to get hold of Beta SP1 for Vista and good news this finally seems to have cured all the problems with MVP crashes, reboots, etc. Rock solid now so looks like this will be sorted when the Service Pack is released!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I can second the above post w/ SP1. Just put it in, but gave it a good workout w/ a lot of FF, and solid so far.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Sage Expert

OK. I would like to upgrade my server to Vista but this has got to be resolved completely as I have 4 MVPs and rely on them. I see 2 people confirm SP1 solved their problems. Anybody else?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Sage Icon

I just installed vista with SP1 on a VirtualPC. I will try it there this Saturday, when I have no recordings, because I will have to take down Sage as to not have network issues.
Even if it works, I am reluctant to install SP1 on my main server as I heard people say that it will be hard to install the final SP1 over the Beta when it finally comes out. That would force me to re-install Vista again...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
I just installed vista with SP1 on a VirtualPC. I will try it there this Saturday, when I have no recordings, because I will have to take down Sage as to not have network issues.
Even if it works, I am reluctant to install SP1 on my main server as I heard people say that it will be hard to install the final SP1 over the Beta when it finally comes out. That would force me to re-install Vista again...
I did not read it through correctly. I would not install a beta os for my main server either. Still would be interested in results, thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Sage User

Installing jre 6 Update 3

seemed to fix things for me.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:58 PM

please explain whats jre6 upgrade 3 ?