SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Sage Expert

Umm... this should be easy, but...how do I get sound?

I've been using only OTA tuners for a year and a half with Sage, but finally got cable so I added the Hauppauge 1600 dual tuner card today. I'm sure this has come up before, but I can't seem to find any threads on it:

How do I get audio for the cable channels I'm tuning with the Hauppauge? I've been using the mobo's SPDIF output to my receiver for my OTA. I just assumed I would hook up my cable box via digital audio to my receiver as well. This works, of course, but it means that the audio from my cable channels and my OTA channels are coming in on different inputs on my receiver - not exactly a useable setup!

I can't seem to find a way to get my audio into Sage from the cable box and tell Sage somehow to use it for that video input though. Surely there's gotta be a way to do this, right?

I mean, I KNOW plenty of you have blazed the ATSC + cable box trail before. And if this were a significant problem, I'd think I would see a bunch of threads dealing with it. So what obvious solution am I missing here?

EDIT: So I figured out the obvious solution I was missing - the stereo to minijack connector that Hauppauge conveniently does not put in the box. Not thrilled about having to use stereo sound for everything out of the cable box, but I'm guessing this is my only option, right?

Last edited by popechild; 08-04-2007 at 12:09 AM. Reason: DOH!!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
Not thrilled about having to use stereo sound for everything out of the cable box, but I'm guessing this is my only option, right?
With an analog capture card, yes, you're talking plain old SD video and stereo audio. For anything more, you need a digital HD capture solution (QAM, Firewire, or R5000).
Old 08-04-2007, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild View Post
I can't seem to find a way to get my audio into Sage from the cable box and tell Sage somehow to use it for that video input though. Surely there's gotta be a way to do this, right?
If you're running S/Video or Composite, you need to run separate audio cables.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Looking for some audio help myself.

I'm using a HDHomeRun and a Hauppauge 150, the HDHR works perfectly, the 150 displays video but no audio. These are analog cable channels. It worked at one time, and to the best of my knowledge none of the settings have changed within Sage. The only thing I can think of is I used DSFmanager to set the merit for a codec that I needed to be preferred. I'm guessing that is where the problem developed but I have no idea how to get the 150 audio back.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Sage Icon

Have you checked to see where the 150's audio problems are, during recording or during playback? Do older, pre-HDHR recordings still have sound? Test some files in WMP or on another computer and see if the sound is there

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

I haven't retained any of the analog recordings. I'll record one right now and see what happens in WMP.

Well, that's some weird behavior, I set a recording on one of the Hauppauge channels and now when I try to change the channel back to a digital HDHR channel, if I can get it to change channels, it will play about a 5-10sec loop of whatever is on that channel.

No audio in WMP either...or VLC...

P.S. It's during "live" viewing when I first noticed the problem, and of course there's no audio during playback either.

Now that the recording is over, I can change channels to a digital HDHR channel and it works like it should. It's as if recording something from the 150 is locking out the ability to watch anything from the HDHR...

Last edited by Keenan; 08-04-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Sage Icon

Have you tried the analog recording on another computer, to elimate any wierd codec issues? Also confirmed that the audio is hooked up to the 150 correctly?

Otherwise, don't know what to say. Something sounds hosed up for sure. May need to install/reinstall Sage and see if that helps.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

When you say audio hooked up correctly, are you talking about a software setting? It did work at one time and I've haven't made any hardware changes.

I'm going to try on a laptop, other than a Sage client PC, it's the only other PC I have that has audio.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
When you say audio hooked up correctly, are you talking about a software setting? It did work at one time and I've haven't made any hardware changes.
I meant physically. Just making sure an RCA cable didn't pop loose or anything.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I meant physically. Just making sure an RCA cable didn't pop loose or anything.
It's been awhile since I've been behind the PC, is there supposed to be a patch cable from the 150 to the soundcard or something, I don't recall having to do anything like that, but it's been awhile.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Sage Icon

nope, shouldn't need a patchcord to the soundcard.

How are you inputting into the 150, Coax, or S-video/composite? Coax has sound and video in the coax, but S-video/composite needs to have a separate audio connector to the 150.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Coax, split off the same feed to the HDHR. There's no STBs or anything else in the line.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Sage Icon

OK, at this point, I'd try to test an analog recording on another computer to see if there is sound in the file. That way you'll know for sure where to spend your time troubleshooting.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Tried the recording on another computer and there's no audio there either, so for some reason the audio is not getting recorded..??

Below is a Graphedit look at the file, little small but I think it's readable..

Old 08-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not a graphedit guru, but looking at that it looks like that is a playback graph, not a recording graph. It is showing the output of the mpeg get split into audio and video, but there was never any audio in the original mpeg to begin with.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm not either, I'm thinking of just removing the card and re-installing it, it's just that in my experience doing that came often screw things up elsewhere.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm thinking of just removing the card and re-installing it.
At this point it couldn't hurt, its already hosed. Do a complete driver purge and reinstall.

Maybe before you do that you could try the hauppauge wintv software and see if you get sound in it.

If reinstalling the card doesn't help, then you may want to try nuking Sage and reinstallinge. Make sure you save your wiz.bin beforehand.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, removed all the 150 software/drivers as per their instructions, re-installed with latest software/drivers and still no sound, not even in the WinTV app.

This really seems like a soundcard and/or codec problem..