SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

MVP gives choppy playback when going through ethernet switch

I have an Encore ENH905-NWY...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817180002

Granted, this is an inexpensive switch, but it works great. I have two PCs and an MVP on this switch. The PCs work great, I download at high speed, transfer files, etc and the switch doesn't drop connections. However, the MVP doesn't work right.

The MVP connects to the Sage server and displays a UI. The UI is slightly sluggish, but it works. The problem is video playback, which is extremely choppy. I'm talking like 1 frame and burst of sound every 25 seconds.

Replacing the switch with my router (Dlink DGL4300), the MVP works just fine.

Much searching found this thread...
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ghlight=duplex

My server's mobo is an Abit NF7, which is an nForce2 board. Post #35 of that thread describes a fix, but my networking controller doesn't have a "checksum offload" setting. I changed "full autonegotiation" to "force 100 full duplex" but it did not fix anything. I think the problem is the switch uses autonegotiation with no way to force 100Mb full duplex. Why the MVP doesn't negotiate properly while all my other networking gear does is beyond me.

My DHCP server is working correctly and has a reservation for the MVP.

I tried the tcp optimize" reg fix, no luck.

What should I do? My switch works great otherwise, I hate to replace a perfectly good switch because of a problem with the MVP. What switches are known to work with the MVP? Is there any other fix?

WAF is in the toilet guys!
Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Seems to me you've answered your own question. It's a cheap switch that can't handle the load you're putting on it, as demonstrated by the fact that the problem goes away when you bypass the switch.

My advice would be to spend a bit more money for name-brand equipment instead of trying to lowball it.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Sage Icon

I agree with Greg - probably time to grab a new switch. You can still get one that's inexpensive, but I would aim higher than $10. The WAF (at least mine) is worth a little more $$.

I recently upgraded my switches to the Linksys gigabit ones, and have been happy with them. They aren't that much more than 100 Mbps ones, and give you some capacity for future upgrades.

Matt
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Some time ago I upgraded my network to gigabit and bought a couple D-Link gigabit switches that have been working great. I generally buy as low as possible for quality. My rule of thumb is that if the price sounds too good to be true it probably is. Sounds like that's the casefor your el cheapo switch. It just isn't made to handle the throughput you're throwing at it. It may also have to do with the rest of the traffic that's going through the switch at the same time. That once the MVP gets in there the internal switching fabric is overloaded.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 AM
SageTVaholic

You might also want to note many of the cons on the customer reviews of that switch. You might notice that while many people seem to like the switch there is a pretty consistant problem with it not working. I personally tend to take those reviews with a grain of sand many times but when people are saying the same thing over and over it's a pretty good indicator that there may be some kind of real quality issue with the product.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Only 7 out of 86 (8%) gave it less than 4 out of 5 stars, so it actually has quite good reviews. Certainly not out of the ordinary, there will always be people we get something DOA, or have defective units, or have some other problem that causes their unit not to work. It sounds like unclean AC power causes the switch to be unreliable. I have clean power in my area though.

At any rate, I am not certain the switch is at fault. From reading the other thread linked above, the symptoms indicate that the MVP is incorrectly negotiating half duplex. It may be the switch's fault or it may be the MVP's fault, but I wouldn't make an assumption based on the switch's pricetag, especially considering the reports from the other thread where the network hardware was fine. I don't see an 8 port Dlink to compare to the Encore's $10.99 price, but I see a 5 port Dlink for $7.99 after rebate. Does this mean it won't work with my MVP because I didn't spend >$20?

It seems the MVP is picky about speed and/or duplex negotiation. I do wish the cause could be narrowed further, but it looks like your suggestion is the only near term solution -- buy a new switch. I choose this one (the rebate helps) and I'll report back with results!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166009
Old 08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Sage Icon

Rosewill makes decent stuff. Hopefully your new switch will get you running OK.

As an aside, if you swap out the switch (as you did with your router) and it seems to work, why wouldn't you think it's the switch?

Matt
Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Mostly because of the other thread that had people finding a fix by setting the switch or NIC to 100 full duplex, or by some obscure NIC setting. My theory is it is either the NIC, switch, or MVP failing to negotiate full duplex properly. How to know which device in the culprit?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

I mainly stick with the netgear line of blue metal hardware (not the crappy white plastic models) and have always been very happy with them.

I pound my switch daily with extenders, place shifters and network transfers and never get a hiccup.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've got the Rosewill now, but I haven't installed it. Maybe tonight!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Update: Rosewill switch works fine with the MVC.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Sage Fanatic

Reviving a dead thread with a quick Q about the rosewill switch. Reviews say it doesn't do UPnP which is bad for media extenders. Obviously Nate has it working, so do I assume I shouldn't care about that for my mvps and my hd-100s?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Sage Icon

UPNP helps newbies setup their networks, I turn it off almost immediately. These basic home networks are easy enough to setup. It's not required by anything I know of.