SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Sage User

Samba install file not found!

I needed to replace the motherboard on my SageTV server and reinstall v6 on Gentoo.

Unfortunately, samba-3-gentoo-0.3.13.tar.bz2 is no where to be found. I really wish SageTV would put all the dependencies files needed on *their* site and update the version of JRE they do have!!

Can I just do an "emerge samba", and then :

wget http://download.sagetv.com/linuxweb/smb.conf
mv -f smb.conf /etc/samba/

and be done with it, or am I going to have to find the file myself and somehow get it over to the system and convince it to use it? Suggestions?

-Judy
Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't know the answer to your question.. Sorry, but what does Samba sharing get you? If you do this can your Windows clients work as if connected to a Windows server?

TIA

B
Old 09-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I don't know the answer to your question.. Sorry, but what does Samba sharing get you? If you do this can your Windows clients work as if connected to a Windows server?

TIA

B
If you don't have samba installed, you get a "sage.PlaybackException" when trying to view live TV on the server. This is a MUST HAVE. See this thread

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26552
Old 09-02-2007, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Interesting as I don't have Samba fully configured as referenced by your link in the conf file. I am able to playback all except ripped dvds. However, I am looking for a way for my Windows clients to access the files directly and was hoping this was it. As of now, I believe everything is being transcoded by the server since the clients don't have direct file access.

B
Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Sage User

Hehehe.. Gentoo.. I love it. Easy fix.. had to do the same thing

Your trying to install a version of samba from your portage tree off that cd that isn't support by gentoo anymore..

Run this

emerge --sync

When its done

emerge samba

you will have to install some new things cause all your versions will be updated, but it will work.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Sage User

Video Access via Samba...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I am looking for a way for my Windows clients to access the files directly and was hoping this was it. As of now, I believe everything is being transcoded by the server since the clients don't have direct file access.
B
True. I have Samba configured and have set up the smbusers. I can access the mpg files directly via \\sage\media (I have /var/media exported as \media). You should be able to play ripped DVDs via \\sage\media\videos\DVD_Dir or such.
Incidentally, I also have the same exported via NFS (kernel) and FTP (using vsftp). The Webserver is taking care of the HTTP access, so I have as much video access as I need. I have not played with the ISO mounter script from this thread but it looks promising.
john
Old 09-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up It's working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmots View Post
Hehehe.. Gentoo.. I love it. Easy fix.. had to do the same thing

Your trying to install a version of samba from your portage tree off that cd that isn't support by gentoo anymore..

Run this

emerge --sync

When its done

emerge samba

you will have to install some new things cause all your versions will be updated, but it will work.
Yes! Those two commands were exactly what was needed. Thank you so much! My SageTV server is now fully functional again and I'm ready for a new season of shows.

-Judy