SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Sage Icon

Force Delete a File

I'm not sure what is causing this or what is the best way to delete a file on Sage when it is locked. Here's the situation:

1. I can't delete the file in Sage. It just keeps coming back in the recordings.

2. I can't even rename the file in the directory unless I stop SageTVServiceControl (I'm running on a network with many Sage Clients). So, I know I could delete the file if I stop SageTVServiceControl but then I'm thinking there might be "garbage" in the wizbin file and I want to delete the file as "cleanly" as possible.

3. I've tried restarting Sageservice as well as restarting the server. I know none of the sageclients are trying to play this program. Should I try restarting all the clients anyways?

4. What's the best way to delete this file? Also, is there any way to tell if there are "junk" files sitting in the sage folders that should be deleted but are also locked as well?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
SageTVaholic

If the file's in use then you need to figure out who's using it. Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Shared Folders > Open Files can tell you if another machine on the LAN is holding it open. If it's not listed there then it must be some process on the local machine. You seem to think it might be SageTVService; if so, stopping the service should let you delete the file. Sage will clean up the leftover wiz.bin entry when it notices the file is gone.

If you're wondering why SageTVService is holding files open, a couple of possibilities come to mind. If a client somewhere has video running in a menu background or preview window, then that video file will be in use and therefore undeletable. Or if you've scheduled background file compressions or conversions, then obviously those files will be in use (and undeletable) while the conversion is going on.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Sage Icon

Good point - I hadn't thought of that. When I look in Open Files, the Accessed By is blank. I'm not sure why but I suppose I can just stop the service and delete the file.

Regarding Conversions - am I able to see conversions on any SageClient or does it only show conversions for the computer I'm on?

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Fastrack
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Good point - I hadn't thought of that. When I look in Open Files, the Accessed By is blank. I'm not sure why but I suppose I can just stop the service and delete the file.

Regarding Conversions - am I able to see conversions on any SageClient or does it only show conversions for the computer I'm on?

Thanks again,
Mike

Download a Utility called "Unlocker" very nice sweet program (you right click the file in question and select "Unlocker")

Here's a link http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Sage Icon

Do you have something like Google desktop installed?

John