SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

MP4 AVI Decoder

I seem to be having some issues with MP4 playback - mostly audio syncronization. I did have a converted movie play the video back at about double speed while the audio was normal, but for the most part it seems to start out in sync and then get worse as the show plays.

What MP4 codec is best? I don't see a way to choose one in Sage, so I am assuming it uses the preferred codec?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 AM

What did you use to convert the movie?

Sometimes if the audio is out of sync, I'll use VideoRedo to do a quick fix.

Otherwise, I have used PSP Vid 9, with the ffmpeg additional setting of "-async 30", which evaluates the audio 30 times a second - haven't had an issue since then. I decided to use 30 because I reason that hopefully it will sync to the video's 29.97 fps pretty closely (all right, I may still be off by 3 hundreths of a second, but you've got to be Superman or the Flash to tell it is still off!).

I wonder what SageTV uses? It would be nice if we can tweak the setting similarly. I'm new at this forum, so please forgive me if this is in an earlier post - I'll go dig around now.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm using Sage to convert them. The one that was way off was a Deinterlaced High Quality HD conversion from an HD MPEG2-TS (firewire recorded from Motorola DCT).
Old 09-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Recommendations?

Anybody have any recommendations here????
Old 09-08-2007, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

koepi xvid decoder (google it), or set the property to enable mplayer (sageTVPlayer) to play mepg4 files..
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Nielm -
Thanks for the suggestions. File must have been corrupt. I tried using mplayer, it choked completely on it. Then I downloaded Xvid you recommended. The video was messed when using it. The other files I have converted appear to play correctly with Xvid.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Maybe a related question... re: Home movies

I encoded an mp4 file from AVCHD (Panasonic HDC-SD1) using Pinnacle Studio 11.1... this file was encoded to 1280x720 29.97fps.

The file plays fine in VLC and WMP, but stutters and freezes after a couple seconds in Sage. It does not seem to matter whether I choose DirectShow or SageTVPlayer in the Detailed Setup>Multimedia>MPEG4 Playback setting.

Any thoughts on this? Should I try encoding in a different format that would work better? Anyone else use this format as a source (AVCHD)? Natively it seems to be 1440x1080, but I am pretty sure this format won't play directly in Sage. There are LOTS of encoding choices in Pinnacle Studio and I am not sure which would be the best (to allow smooth HD playback in Sage and perhaps creation of HD-DVDs using mkv format). Any help would be appreciated.