SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

How do I get rid of a license?

I made the mistake of installing the trial place shifter license when I rebuilt my sage server. I own a legit license of place shifter but was too lazy at that time to look up the code.

Since then I have installed all the licenses I own for sage (2 client and 1 extender).

Now whenever I use place shifter I get a TRIAL on the screen, which tells me that my legit license is not being used but rather the trial one is.

I went to the Un-INstall Registered License utility but it asks for the license key I want to uninstall. I don't remember what that is and thus have no way of uninstalling it. Is it listed somewhere that I can look it up? Can I just delete it out of the registry, or an ini file somewhere? Is there anything that will give me the key codes of what is already installed?

If I have to uninstall every license I own that is no biggie, but it is starting to look like I must rebuild my whole server to get rid of this stupid license.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Appendix N for the Placeshifter has info about registering a license. As it says there, make sure that SageTV is not running at all, then use the registration utility for a Placeshifter or extender license, or else the keys may not get registered correctly.

Does the utility say that any licenses have been registered? If so, either the number of current PS & extender connections is exceeding that count or the licenses did not get registered properly.

There is no way to look up a license on the PC, so if you don't have a record of your license, you will have to contact SageTV.

BTW: there is no trial license that you install; it just allows trial usage for several days until a valid license is entered. After that, connections beyond your license count will not be accepted.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_smith1969 View Post
Since then I have installed all the licenses I own for sage (2 client and 1 extender).
I noticed in your signature it lists your (2) clients as MVP and placeshifter. The MVP and placeshifter both use extender licenses. If you only have 1 extender license, you cannot simultaneously use a placeshifter and MVP. If you power off the MVP, then you should be able to use the placeshifter.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Just to be clear, when you say you have two client licenses, are you talking about Placeshifter licenses or SageTVClient licenses? They're not the same, and a Client license won't work with Placeshifter.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

When I purchased SageTV I got it with a placeshifter license. I purchased one of my MVPs through sageTV which came with a license and I purchased another license for an MVP that I got on ebay.
So that gives me
1 server lic
2 client lics
1 placeshifter lic

Now it IS possible I did not install the placeshifter lic properly, I will check that.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

"BTW: there is no trial license that you install; it just allows trial usage for several days until a valid license is entered. After that, connections beyond your license count will not be accepted."

This comment helped immensley, thanks. If I go to the utility where you install licenses it will tell you how many you have installed. I was missing one, either I forgot to install it or I did it wrong. As I was "certain" that I installed the lic correctly and it "must be working" I figured the trial lic was getting in the way. Once I found out that there is no trial lic I accidentially tripped over the area in the "register license" utility that gives you a count of the lics you have installed. It was one short.

I installed the second client lic (the one I purchased seperately) and it now shows all my lics, and it is working fine now. Thanks guys.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
When I purchased SageTV I got it with a placeshifter license. I purchased one of my MVPs through sageTV which came with a license and I purchased another license for an MVP that I got on ebay.
So that gives me
1 server lic
2 client lics
1 placeshifter lic
Just so you know: you actually have 3 Placeshifter/extender licenses; they work for either type of remote client. "Client" licenses usually refer to SageTV Client.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
So that gives me
1 server lic
2 client lics
1 placeshifter lic
Just so you know, to be crystal clear, the licenses used by the MVP are NOT client licenses. What you seem to have is 1 server license and 3 extender licenses. Extender licenses are used for both placeshifter and MVP.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Just so you know: you actually have 3 Placeshifter/extender licenses; they work for either type of remote client. "Client" licenses usually refer to SageTV Client.
- Andy
What about the MAC client license - which is different from the win license. So, the win license can not be used with a MAC client. But it can be used as a placeshifter or MVP license?

Weird.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
What about the MAC client license - which is different from the win license. So, the win license can not be used with a MAC client.
Thats what I heard, that a Windows Sage license for Sage Media Center or WIndows SageClient cannot be used for Mac Sage Media Center or Mac SageClient. The same goes for Linux licenses. It appears that any license purchased for one OS is only good for that OS (with the exception of the placeshifter/extender license which is good for any OS?).

Quote:
But it can be used as a placeshifter or MVP license?
Nope. A windows SageClient license can only be used for a windows SageCleint

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Can the Placeshifter license be used as Sage Client License? Seems they are selling Media Center/Placeshifter bundle but not Media Center/Client bundle.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlvnv View Post
Can the Placeshifter license be used as Sage Client License?
No, the SageTV Client license is different.

Quote:
Seems they are selling Media Center/Placeshifter bundle but not Media Center/Client bundle.
You could email that bundle suggestion to them.

- Andy
Old 12-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping the license was transferable, as I prefer to use the Client which has the built in ripped dvd playback function. Guess it won't hurt to pester them with one more email, this time about media center/client bundle.