SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Sage Icon

Controlling encoder merit via STV

I'm wondering how hard it would be to list the video sources according to their encoder merit? Additionally adding the ability to change their merit similarly to favorites, where you could click on the encoder, then move it up or down to change its merit.

I think this would be a nice enhancement, but is it practical?

thanks,
dave
Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Yes, the merit property could be modified in an STV & the default STV even has unused code from a time when I played around with it. But, it won't take effect anyway until the server is restarted, meaning you have to restart the service or the UI if not using service mode. So, someone could do that as long as you know you have to restart.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I think this feature would be really cool to have. I struggle identifying which tuner I am actually looking at when trying to set priority (I have 2 PVR-500s so it shows 4 tuners that look the same in the properties file). It would be great just to be able to do that graphically even though I would have to restart everything.

Is this something that could be enabled/disabled in the properties file like the Malore menus or could it just be the default and have a little help box informing the user to restart everything after making the change?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue View Post
Is this something that could be enabled/disabled in the properties file like the Malore menus or could it just be the default and have a little help box informing the user to restart everything after making the change?
You mean the unused STV code I mentioned? It is just that: unusable in the UI.

Anyway, I spoke too soon above. I took a minute to see if I ever even finished the code (I only did it to play with some API calls a long time ago when I hadn't done a lot of STV editing yet)... and I'm going to take back what I said above: It looks like you can't do this in an STV w/o some sort of core change (unless I missed an API call) because when you exit SageTV, the merit property values are reset to what they were when SageTV started.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue View Post
I struggle identifying which tuner I am actually looking at when trying to set priority (I have 2 PVR-500s so it shows 4 tuners that look the same in the properties file).
Not quite the same. Look for lines line this:

mmc/encoders/12345678/video_capture_device_name=Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture
mmc/encoders/12345678/video_capture_device_num=1

The device_num + 1 tells you which device this is in the UI. So in this example, device_num=1 means this device will show up in the UI as Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture #2.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Not quite the same. Look for lines line this:

mmc/encoders/12345678/video_capture_device_name=Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture
mmc/encoders/12345678/video_capture_device_num=1

The device_num + 1 tells you which device this is in the UI. So in this example, device_num=1 means this device will show up in the UI as Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture #2.
That is good to know. I was unaware that that setting existed or what it was for. Since Opus said it couldn't be done anyway this makes my life easier and eliminates me from needing anything. Thanks Greg. Sometimes something so simple is right in front of you.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You mean the unused STV code I mentioned? It is just that: unusable in the UI.

Anyway, I spoke too soon above. I took a minute to see if I ever even finished the code (I only did it to play with some API calls a long time ago when I hadn't done a lot of STV editing yet)... and I'm going to take back what I said above: It looks like you can't do this in an STV w/o some sort of core change (unless I missed an API call) because when you exit SageTV, the merit property values are reset to what they were when SageTV started.

- Andy
Sorry, I didn't differentiate between unused and unusable but yes, unused code. Was just wondering if it could be fleshed out to become usable code but looks like you answered that already. Thanks Andy.