SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Sage User

Using the Studio with WHS

Hi,

I have the Windows Home Server at home with the WHS version of sage on it. I have 2 more clients (bed room and living room). So far so good. The system is working fine.

However, (yet, there's always either However or But), I now want to use the Studio - how do I do that ? after all the WHS version was installed on a server (no monitor/keyboard or mouse) so I can't work of there... what should I do ?

I have another computer with XP which I use for general work and browsing...

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivilya View Post
Hi,

I have the Windows Home Server at home with the WHS version of sage on it. I have 2 more clients (bed room and living room). So far so good. The system is working fine.

However, (yet, there's always either However or But), I now want to use the Studio - how do I do that ? after all the WHS version was installed on a server (no monitor/keyboard or mouse) so I can't work of there... what should I do ?

I have another computer with XP which I use for general work and browsing...

Thanks!
You can open Studio on any (real) client. That being said, if you only use MVP or Placeshifter, this doesn't work. Well I'm not sure, but I think if you try to open Studio in Placeshifter / MVP it will open the Studio window on the server, so you could use your XP machine to remote desktop into your WHS...

Dirk
Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

My advice is to buy a SageTVClient license (if you don't already have one) and do all your Studio development on a separate machine from your server. That way you can try out new ideas, save half-finished code, etc., without danger of screwing up your working system. Deploy your STV changes to your server only after they're finished and thoroughly tested on your dev client.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
My advice is to buy a SageTVClient license (if you don't already have one) and do all your Studio development on a separate machine from your server. That way you can try out new ideas, save half-finished code, etc., without danger of screwing up your working system. Deploy your STV changes to your server only after they're finished and thoroughly tested on your dev client.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar View Post
You can open Studio on any (real) client. That being said, if you only use MVP or Placeshifter, this doesn't work. Well I'm not sure, but I think if you try to open Studio in Placeshifter / MVP it will open the Studio window on the server, so you could use your XP machine to remote desktop into your WHS...
I've tried this "use Placeshifter to launch Studio on the server then use a remote desktop to view it remotely" thing (with a Linux server and a Placeshifter client on a Mac).

It works but it's a major pain to get set up and working. (Maybe it's easier on Windows... )

GKusnick has the right idea - if you are going to play with Studio just spend the $30 to get a real SageTV Client (i.e. not Placeshifter) to develop on. The easier setup and all the other things he mentions are worth it.

--John
Old 12-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Sage User

Why is Studio not available on a trial basis or included with Server versions?

If I decide to switch to Sage, I plan on using WHS so I need to purchase Sage for WHS (btw: how much is it, I don't see it listed in the store) and an HD Extender.
Studio is free for purchases of the Client, but why not for the other versions?
Why should I have to purchase a Client license?
Old 12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Sage WHS is the exact same price as normal Sage. In fact, as long as your key isn't an 'upgrade' key from an earlier version, you can just install either version of Sage and you should be good to go.

As for Studio, make sure that you install Java on the WHS machine. You should at that point be able to connect via RDP (remote desktop) and work with Studio.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server

Last edited by PGPfan; 12-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge View Post
Why is Studio not available on a trial basis or included with Server versions?

If I decide to switch to Sage, I plan on using WHS so I need to purchase Sage for WHS (btw: how much is it, I don't see it listed in the store) and an HD Extender.
Studio is free for purchases of the Client, but why not for the other versions?
Why should I have to purchase a Client license?
Studio is included with SageTV Media Center (the "server version") and with SageTVClient. It's not included with Placeshifter, because Placeshifter is a thin client whose UI executes on the server.

The SageTV Media Center license works on both Windows and WHS. Same license, same price; different installer.

You don't have to purchase a client license to use Studio, but doing so is a good idea for convenience and server stability.