SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

MVP stops working with forced Placeshifter login on LAN

Yesterday I changed the sage.properties setting "miniclient/authenticate_local_connections" to "true" to force Placeshifter clients on my local LAN to have to login to use SageTV (normally SageTV bypasses login for Placeshifter clients on the same subnet).

After I did this the MVP would not work. It would get the the "SageTV is starting up.." screen then start flashing (alternating between the SageTV Splash screen and a totally black screen with a period of about 1 second). If I changed the setting back to "false" then the MVP functioned normally. (I'm on 6.1.8 of the SageTV software)

My question is: Is this expected behaviour or a bug? Intuitively I would have expected that the MVP would always bypass login requirements whether "miniclient/authenticate_local_connections" was set to "true" or "false".

Also does anyone have any workarounds that would let me force Placeshifter logins on the LAN whilst allowing the MVP to function normally?

PROBLEM BACKGROUND:
I will have guests over for the next few weeks. I would like to give them access to Sage via their laptops using Placeshifter. However to prevent accidental deletions of some of the movies and TV shows I've recorded I would like to assign them a special STV I've created which does not allow deletions of recorded shows nor does it allow access to the Setup menu. The only way I know how to that is to force Placeshifter logins on the LAN and then assign them the STV via the Manage Placeshifter Users menu option. If there's another way of accomplishing what I want then I'm all ears.

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

You can manually call that STV in the default client properties.

Then all miniclients will use that STV by default, you can still manually edit a specific client (MVP dunno about placeshifter) to call a different STV which allows those actions again.

As far as I know the miniclient server is the same for MVP and placeshifter, so if one must login both must and the MVP is not prepared to.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Just remember that if you edit RemoteClients.properties.defaults, it will get reset when the next upgrade is installed.

(And, yes it is expected that the MVP won't be able to connect when the property is set to force all local PS clients to log in.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the helpful replies!!

Cheers
Lester
Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wow - any chance I could get that stv ... that would work perfectly for what I need to do as well! alternatively - is there an stv available that will do these things?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzominator View Post
Wow - any chance I could get that stv ... that would work perfectly for what I need to do as well! alternatively - is there an stv available that will do these things?
Apply Security to any STV