SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
SageTVService Minimum Permissions

On a dedicated server, running Sage as a Service, what permissions does the SageTVService user need?

I have a situation where I need to keep Sage from being able to browse everything on the Sage Server. So I need to give it the absolute minimal permissions. Also, I'd just like to know.

I have created an account "svcSageServer" and given it WRITE access to the recordings directory, the Video, Music, and Pictures import directories. I have also given it WRITE access to C:\Program Files\SageTV. I set the SageTVService to run as that user.

Anything else I'm missing?

It seems to work, but I'm getting some sporadic spikes in CPU utilization for no reason. The thing will be singing along nicely at 4% recording 2 shows.....and then all the sudden it shoots up to 80%. I cannot get this to happen if I run the SageTV GUI and no service.

I'm wondering if maybe the svcSageServer user doesn't have full access to some hardware resource that it needs.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I thought it needed to be an administrator equivalant. That's the way i set it with no issues.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 AM
SageTVaholic

There are some reg keys you need to make sure the user has write access to. fwiw - I tried this a couple of years back, but it never worked 100% for me either. There is/was a forum thread on securing sagetv on windows with all the spots to tweak, however I can't find it.

B
Old 10-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Thanks. I may fire up Filemon and Regmon and take Sage through its paces and try to identify what files/reg entries it is writing to.

This particular install has the Sage Server also storing personal files and I can't have somebody in the living room browsing personal files on the server.

If worst comes to worst, I can always setup some "Deny" ACL's, but I'd like to not have it come to that. That can be a nightmare to manage.