SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-12-2007, 02:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

How do you add card reader drive letters in import directories?

On my HPTC I installed a card reader which I can insert scan disk or memory stick etc in card reader to access it. The card reader have create several removable drive letters in XP and I wanted to add them in import directories so I could insert a scandisk from my camera and then go to Photo to view them.

When I tried to add the drive letter I get Invaild Directory and it won't let me add it.

Is there a way to add them to import directories?

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-12-2007, 05:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
On my HPTC I installed a card reader which I can insert scan disk or memory stick etc in card reader to access it. The card reader have create several removable drive letters in XP and I wanted to add them in import directories so I could insert a scandisk from my camera and then go to Photo to view them.

When I tried to add the drive letter I get Invaild Directory and it won't let me add it.

Is there a way to add them to import directories?

Thanks
Bill
I would imagine that only the drives with media attached (ie, a SD/CF/whatever card in the slot) would be importable.

Did you try this for just one drive at a time; the drive for which you had a card installed at the moment?

Matt
Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

The drive letter already exist and was detected and added by when card reader powered up but I was able to add the drives letters to the import directory listing by inserting the media in it first.

So far it working and I was able to remove media then take some more pictures and insert back in and refreshed the folder. New photos would be imported.

It doesn't seem to be complaining with the media missing and hopefully I am not breaking anything in SageTV having a drive letter in import directory list but no media in it.

I think next version SageTV should fix it that we can add drive letters to the import for removable media and it shouldn't complain or says invaild directory which it did until I insert a media then it would let me add a drive letter to it.

Bill
Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Add a network share for the removeable drive and try adding the UNC path as an import directory in Sage. Just make sure that you have a card in the slot when you manually type in the location or else sage will complain that it doesn't exist. Once added, sage shouldn't complain anymore when the media is removed.

As a side note, I use this method to add my DVD drives as video import directories. Using this method, the drive is available on any client and Sage can resume playback direct from the DVD drive. HTH

Aloha,
Mike
Old 11-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Add a network share for the removeable drive and try adding the UNC path as an import directory in Sage. Just make sure that you have a card in the slot when you manually type in the location or else sage will complain that it doesn't exist. Once added, sage shouldn't complain anymore when the media is removed.

As a side note, I use this method to add my DVD drives as video import directories. Using this method, the drive is available on any client and Sage can resume playback direct from the DVD drive. HTH

Aloha,
Mike
Yes it exactly what I did. Put in the card then add it to import direcories list and remove it leaving the drive letter in the import

I am just hoping I didn't break anything now doing this method.

Bill
Old 11-12-2007, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes it exactly what I did. Put in the card then add it to import direcories list and remove it leaving the drive letter in the import

I am just hoping I didn't break anything now doing this method.

Bill
Just so I'm clear on this, did you add the import directory to sage as a drive letter or as a UNC path?

Aloha,
Mike
Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Just so I'm clear on this, did you add the import directory to sage as a drive letter or as a UNC path?

Aloha,
Mike
I add it as a drive letter after I inserted a media card/sandisk.

It work so far scanning everything on card including the sub-dirs on it.

Bill
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Sage Fanatic

Got another question.

When SageTV import and all the photos it found in my drive then I removed the scandisk but the folder icon with photos on it stay. Is there a way to clear it or delete it?

I tried the "refresh" thinking if SageTV doesn't see it anymore it would clear the folder icon but it doesn't.

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I removed the scandisk but the folder icon with photos on it stay. Is there a way to clear it or delete it?

I tried the "refresh" thinking if SageTV doesn't see it anymore it would clear the folder icon but it doesn't.
When the path isn't seen, it assumes it is just offline rather than removing the content from its database & then having to re-import everything when the path returns.

You don't even need to import those removable paths, though. In the default STV, there is an option (normally on, I think) to display a dialog asking what to do when a new drive is detected. And, in the Media Center menu, there is the Browse Media Files option, which displays a similar dialog.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
When the path isn't seen, it assumes it is just offline rather than removing the content from its database & then having to re-import everything when the path returns.

You don't even need to import those removable paths, though. In the default STV, there is an option (normally on, I think) to display a dialog asking what to do when a new drive is detected. And, in the Media Center menu, there is the Browse Media Files option, which displays a similar dialog.

- Andy
That probably one problem for me since card reader is built into the case and drive letter is always assigned to it so it not "detecting" a new drive when you insert a sandisk or a media card into it.

Even with it offline is there a way to clear the folder icon it imported then?

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

Aloha,
Mike

Should I or am I better off to use UNC path instead?

Bill
Old 11-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Sage Fanatic

Well it didn't work out too good.

At first when I insert Sandisk in it from my camera and SageTV detected the photo and imported it.

Next I would take the Sandisk out and take some more pictures and re-insert it back in, SageTV think there no new photos on it or doesn't detect any new photos in it to import even if I ask it to refresh it or whatever that command was.

Next I removed the drive letter the card reader was on and tried adding UNC path to it and it ask me if I wanted to create a new folder using the UNC path name I entered so I cancelled that.

Then I create a new folder on SageTV Desktop assigning a UNC path to it and added that folder in import directories.

Reinserted the card back and went to photo but SageTV just says no photo found so I check the folder on the desktop and the photo folders appear in it with no problem.

Does SageTV import check sub-folder within it own assigned folders to see if there any video or photo in it?

It checked the sub-folder when I assigned a drive letter to it that the Sandisk was on but it doesn't seem to check for sub-folder within the folder with UNC path I assigned to import.

Bill