SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Increase # of Days in Recording Schedule

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Sage user and I have a quick and easy question. How can I see more days in the Scheduled Recordings view? Currently I think I see about 4 days out but I would like to see the limit of the guide if possible.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a new Sage user and I have a quick and easy question. How can I see more days in the Scheduled Recordings view? Currently I think I see about 4 days out but I would like to see the limit of the guide if possible.

Thanks!
You probably want to look at the scheduling_lookahead property in Sage.properties. There are some other threads on the forum that discuss this property. I'm not sure whether setting it to a value equivalent to 12-14 days would cause any problems or not.

--John
Old 11-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks I'll look for those threads.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

The only issue I have experienced with a large look ahead is that the scheduler pegs my old single core CPU for an extended period time every 5 minutes...or at least used to sever releases ago. If you have a hyper threading or a dual core box it probably won't be an issue. part of this issue is that I have 5 Tuners so it has that much more schedule processing to do and back in the day I had 9 Tuners and it was even worse. I have my look ahead at 6 days without issue.
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 11-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I'll agree with John. I currently have my lookahead at 7 days. I tried it set to look out to the limit of the EPG, but it could really drag down the CPU at times.

Even 7 days can drag it down at times if you have a lot of favorites, manual recordings, etc. Typically in a week during the fall premiere season I may end up with over 100 recordings set for a week. There's a lot of dual recordings of SD and HD versions of some shows in there.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would be happy with just double the current time allotment. If it drags down the system, I will set the parameters back. However, I did change the parameter in the sage properties file and restarted my Sage UI and service but it doesn't look like the setting took effect. Did I do something wrong?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I would be happy with just double the current time allotment. If it drags down the system, I will set the parameters back. However, I did change the parameter in the sage properties file and restarted my Sage UI and service but it doesn't look like the setting took effect. Did I do something wrong?
All sage processes and services must be stopped before making the change. After making the change to sage.properties, go ahead and start the sage processes and services and you should notice the change in place.

Last edited by NEOSG; 11-19-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Maybe not (Did I do something wrong?). Sage doesn't update the recordings immediately, but should have done it at or soon after restart. You did shut down Sage, and/or the Sage Service prior to changing sage.properties right? Also you didn't have sage.properties open to edit when you shut down Sage, since that may have caused a problem.

I forget all the triggers that will get it to update, but one is when it gets an EPG update.