SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Have I got it's purpose incorrect?

A mate of mine has a MythTV setup, and with this you can go anywhere with an internet connection, and on ANY PC, type in an IP address, and so long as you know his Login and Password, you can log into his MythTV system, and control his whole MythTV setup from wherever you are.

For instance, once he was round at my house, and wanted to show me a video on his machine. We logged in using my PC, picked a suitable video quality, and then streamed it off his server machine.

Now I was under the impression that the Placeshifter feature of SageTV was the same thing, and since I'm often working away and would like to schedule recordings wherever I am at the time, I bought the SageTV/Placeshifter combo, and then activated the Placeshifter licence on my server machine.

I then started reading the SageTV instrictions to see how I accessed it from a remote machine, but it's looking scarily like it isn't what I thought it was, and that all of the machines I wish to access my server from will not only need the client software, but also their own software licence

Is that really the case, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@TunerUK View Post
... and that all of the machines I wish to access my server from will not only need the client software, but also their own software licence...
Placeshifter does need to be installed on the PC where it will be used, though some people have installed it on a USB flash drive & used it from there.

The PS license is stored on the SageTV server, not the client PC. You can connect vai PS from any client PC, as long as the number of simultaneous connections does not exceed the number of PS licenses registered on your SageTV server.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@TunerUK View Post
For instance, once he was round at my house, and wanted to show me a video on his machine. We logged in using my PC, picked a suitable video quality, and then streamed it off his server machine.
I've heard that nielm's webserver has some transcoding capabilites to stream it over the webserver.

Quote:
Now I was under the impression that the Placeshifter feature of SageTV was the same thing, and since I'm often working away and would like to schedule recordings wherever I am at the time, I bought the SageTV/Placeshifter combo, and then activated the Placeshifter licence on my server machine.
It's similar in nature, but not exactly.

Quote:
I then started reading the SageTV instrictions to see how I accessed it from a remote machine, but it's looking scarily like it isn't what I thought it was, and that all of the machines I wish to access my server from will not only need the client software, but also their own software licence
To use the placeshifter, you do need to have the placeshifter software available to the remote machine, either by dl'ing and installing it, or by having it on a USB stick that you attach to the remote machine.

As for the software license, the placeshifter license is a "floating" license. If you have a currently unused placeshifter/extender license, it could be used to start a new placeshifter connection. But, if you were already using the license for an active extender connection, or someone else was already using it for a different placeshifter connection, you could run out of licenses. If that was the case, then you wouldn't be able to connect at that time.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ahh right, so if I get a USB pen drive and keep it on my person I should be ok.
That I can live with

OK, so next question, the instructions mention the placeshifter client software, but I have no idea where to get it from.
The only link with my purchase email was for a download of the whole sagetv 6.2 software, which I already downloaded as a trial.
Is that what I need?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Scratch that, found it via google