SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadams View Post
On the remote layout I see 'go to server list'. Does that mean that since I have two servers I can switch between servers?

Yes.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a little disappointed. Several things I see as very important are missing.

1) The remote doesn't have a TV off button. This is one of the best innovations of the MCE remote, allowing you to ditch the TV remote entirely.

That might sound like a really minor thing, but for me it's not; one of my primary goals in my living room set-up is simplification. One remote for all media activity is my goal, and no, I don't want to purchase a $200 leviathan of a remote that needs programming when the MCE one can do it all for $20 and 5 minutes set-up.

2) No integrated optical drive. Again, for me it's all about simplification - the fewer boxes, the fewer software interfaces, the fewer cables, the fewer remotes the better. Ideally I want a one box solution. I was weighing up between getting the Sage HD extender and just ditching Sage and getting Sky+ HD, as Sage continue to be a far from perfect solution for Sky subscribers in the UK. The Sky+ box has no optical drive, so going that road would mean two boxes, so had the Sage HD extender had one (or had there been a version of the extender with one) it would have been a huge plus point for it. As it is...

3) No integrated card reader - on my client I can pop my camera's memory card into my card reader and see the photos in Sage immediately. I think that's a real bonus (particularly if you can then go through and cull the duds).

Sorry if this seems a bit negative. May be besides the point anyway - I have no idea if this will be available for sale in the UK, or if it will work in the UK for that matter (presumably it can output PAL? Or not?)

Client:
Sage Client 6.1.9, Java 1.6.0_01, AthlonXP 3000+, 512MB RAM, GeForce 6150, ForceWare 93.71, nForce 8.26, PureVideo 1.02-223, SageMC 6.3.2c
Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Sage Icon

Would've been nice if the remote can power on/off the TV and change volume, but I guess not. Also, with the playback buttons all the way at the bottom, I hope it doesn't feel gimpy pressing them given the handle is so short at the bottom.

On button layout and spacing, I'd give it a 7 out of 10 rating. On button functions, I'd give it 10 out of 10. I like all the extra buttons, such as Audio Language, Aspect Ratio, Search, Online, DVD Menu, DVD Parent, and the THREE type of FF/RW buttons.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy View Post
Playback of r5000 dish h.264 & mpeg-2 streams is .... magnificent. Probably better than your getting from your SageTV pc server.
In that case put me down for one.

And two more at a later day
Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney View Post
I'm a little disappointed. Several things I see as very important are missing.

1) The remote doesn't have a TV off button. This is one of the best innovations of the MCE remote, allowing you to ditch the TV remote entirely.

That might sound like a really minor thing, but for me it's not; one of my primary goals in my living room set-up is simplification. One remote for all media activity is my goal, and no, I don't want to purchase a $200 leviathan of a remote that needs programming when the MCE one can do it all for $20 and 5 minutes set-up.

2) No integrated optical drive. Again, for me it's all about simplification - the fewer boxes, the fewer software interfaces, the fewer cables, the fewer remotes the better. Ideally I want a one box solution. I was weighing up between getting the Sage HD extender and just ditching Sage and getting Sky+ HD, as Sage continue to be a far from perfect solution for Sky subscribers in the UK. The Sky+ box has no optical drive, so going that road would mean two boxes, so had the Sage HD extender had one (or had there been a version of the extender with one) it would have been a huge plus point for it. As it is...

3) No integrated card reader - on my client I can pop my camera's memory card into my card reader and see the photos in Sage immediately. I think that's a real bonus (particularly if you can then go through and cull the duds).

Sorry if this seems a bit negative. May be besides the point anyway - I have no idea if this will be available for sale in the UK, or if it will work in the UK for that matter (presumably it can output PAL? Or not?)
Actually I'm sort of glad it doesn't come with those features because to me it would just be duplication. I want the highest quality device that does what it specializes in the best. Adding other features would just reduce the budget allowance for the playback of HD and if that feature isn't top notch, what's the point of the device at all? Other than that, they would have to raise the price and that wouldn't be an option as I think many of us feel $200 is just right. In fact, that's the price point that I imagined it would be. At $150 I would be even happier.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
Would've been nice if the remote can power on/off the TV and change volume, but I guess not.
I'm sure my Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote will be able to handle everything.

People still use their original equipment remotes?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ideally I want a one box solution.
No integrated card reader.
This is still an option with Sage - if you are looking for a one box does it all solution, build a full client (you've already got one it seems.....)

The extender is not meant to be a full client.

Quote:
The remote doesn't have a TV off button.
There are two types of people in the world - those that use factory remotes, and those that don't. The remote pictured is very good for those of us that prefer programable remotes - all of those discrete commands are a good thing. Since the extender isn't a one box solution, I think it is a fair compromise that it's remote doesn't control the TV. It probably doesn't control AVR's either, and anyone using speakers other than those internal to the TV will need another remote anyway.....
Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Was there any kind of beta test for these bad boys in the real world? I'm sure anyone that has one had to swear 3 ways and in Chinese not to talk about it, but it would be nice to know that these are out there in the wild getting some non lab hours.....

I'm just mad that I wasn't on the beta list. I emailed Sage Support asking to beta test and everything

Not that mad tho - I'd still be glad to do some last minute beta testing

btl.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:47 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Was there any kind of beta test for these bad boys in the real world? I'm sure anyone that has one had to swear 3 ways and in Chinese not to talk about it, but it would be nice to know that these are out there in the wild getting some non lab hours.....

I'm just mad that I wasn't on the beta list. I emailed Sage Support asking to beta test and everything

Not that mad tho - I'd still be glad to do some last minute beta testing

btl.
Based on Hawgguy's responses, I'm thinking he has one and as much work as he did getting all the h.264 stuff worked out with the R5000 and dishnetworks, he deserves it.

Edit: Sorry, after re-reading my post, I did not mean to imply you did not deserve it, just that HargGuy did.

Last edited by Rob; 11-27-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy View Post
I'm sure my Logitech Harmony 880 Universal Remote will be able to handle everything.
People still use their original equipment remotes?
Quote:
There are two types of people in the world - those that use factory remotes, and those that don't. The remote pictured is very good for those of us that prefer programable remotes - all of those discrete commands are a good thing. Since the extender isn't a one box solution, I think it is a fair compromise that it's remote doesn't control the TV. It probably doesn't control AVR's either, and anyone using speakers other than those internal to the TV will need another remote anyway.....
First, the logitech remotes sometimes cost more than the HD Extender itself. You can justify the price because you think it's totally worth it as it is the ultimate remote that controls everything in your entertainment area. But what you are not factoring in is the TV in the bedroom, or any other TV outside of the main HDTV. Many of us cannot afford to buy multiple logitech remotes for those other TVs. And on a side note, I think the button layouts on most of the logitechs suck, the hauppauge and MCE remote's layout is much better.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll second props for HawgGuy. Without his work I would have struggled to get my R5000 as good as I have it at the moment. Seeing he's been banging tests on the new extender gives me higher confidence to pull the trigger on purchasing at the start. Otherwise I was going to wait until someone had a chance to verify it worked.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

So, looks good, but will there be a UK 230v version?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@TunerUK View Post
So, looks good, but will there be a UK 230v version?
According to the back picture it supports 90 to 250v. Looks like all that is needed is an adapter.

B
Old 11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
First, the logitech remotes sometimes cost more than the HD Extender itself. You can justify the price because you think it's totally worth it as it is the ultimate remote that controls everything in your entertainment area. But what you are not factoring in is the TV in the bedroom, or any other TV outside of the main HDTV. Many of us cannot afford to buy multiple logitech remotes for those other TVs.
There are lots of options besides logitech in the Universal Remote world. I have a logitech for my HT - it's really nice when you have a lot of gear to control. But I've got a couple of old Sony RM-VL700S remotes - they cost about $30 each, and have all the options you need for controlling a standard TV / HDSomething / DVD player setup.

Quote:
And on a side note, I think the button layouts on most of the logitechs suck, the hauppauge and MCE remote's layout is much better.
Thats funny, cuz I feel just the opposite. I don't like the Hauppauge layout at all. I think it's mainly a matter of what you are used to.

btl.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
This is still an option with Sage - if you are looking for a one box does it all solution, build a full client (you've already got one it seems.....)
That hadn't occurred to me (what with having one and all.)

My client is:

* Much bigger than the extender. Even my old Antek NSK1300 box was a big lump, but after it's power supply died for the third time I looked for an HTPC box which took standard power supplied - and ended up with this massive thing sat under the TV: http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_x10.htm

* Despite my best efforts, research on silentpcreview & getting a lot of quiet components, noticeably noisy

* I'm unhappy with the picture quality from the nVidia decoder

* Just not as stable as an off the shelf product. It crashes to Windows desktop from time to time, or loses focus and you need to attach a mouse to get it back to the foreground... that sort of thing.

All in all, a bit unsatisfactory.

Client:
Sage Client 6.1.9, Java 1.6.0_01, AthlonXP 3000+, 512MB RAM, GeForce 6150, ForceWare 93.71, nForce 8.26, PureVideo 1.02-223, SageMC 6.3.2c
Old 11-27-2007, 03:18 PM
SageTVaholic

So you want a small all in one box? That's a little harder to do.

I don't have any of those problems with my client. That is the one problem with building a client - there are lots of variables. But my client is nice looking, silent, robust (never crashes) and has an awesome HD picture. No complaints at all.

I think the case you pointed to is awfully nice looking. I don't mind large components though.

btl.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
That hadn't occurred to me (what with having one and all.)

My client is:

* Much bigger than the extender. Even my old Antek NSK1300 box was a big lump, but after it's power supply died for the third time I looked for an HTPC box which took standard power supplied - and ended up with this massive thing sat under the TV: http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_x10.htm

* Despite my best efforts, research on silentpcreview & getting a lot of quiet components, noticeably noisy

* I'm unhappy with the picture quality from the nVidia decoder

* Just not as stable as an off the shelf product. It crashes to Windows desktop from time to time, or loses focus and you need to attach a mouse to get it back to the foreground... that sort of thing.

All in all, a bit unsatisfactory.
Your right on all counts here. Sounds like an HD extender and a programmable remote will fix you right up.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy View Post
Playback of r5000 dish h.264 & mpeg-2 streams is .... magnificent. Probably better than your getting from your SageTV pc server.
HawgGuy,

Can you share what to h.264 parameters I need to encode my mpeg-2 video for playback on an HD extender?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongrimme View Post
HawgGuy,

Can you share what to h.264 parameters I need to encode my mpeg-2 video for playback on an HD extender?
And will it play MPEG4 steams too?? (since dish started moving all their HD channels from MPEG2 to MPEG4)...

Right now im not aiming at the R5000, but rather a solution with genpix + mytheater (onces they release a version with mpeg4 support)

Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
There are lots of options besides logitech in the Universal Remote world. I have a logitech for my HT - it's really nice when you have a lot of gear to control. But I've got a couple of old Sony RM-VL700S remotes - they cost about $30 each, and have all the options you need for controlling a standard TV / HDSomething / DVD player setup.
That Sony RM-VL700 isn't anywhere close to the HD Extender's remote. Any remote without two types of FF/RW skip buttons is unacceptable in my book, but even that is beside the point. The HD extender's remote is designed for use with SageTV. Even the labeling is SageTV specifics, such as Watch and Don't Like buttons. I don't think you can achieve such integration from a remote without some sort of screen. And the remotes with the screens tend to cost a lot.