SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Sage User

MVP not booting, just about ready to get the sledge hammer

Hi guys I am running the newest version of sagetv and I use it to connect to my MVP.

The problem I have is, sometimes it will boot, but most times it wont. It gets "fixed" by doing random things like rebooting pc, leaving power unplugged on mvp starting stopping server etc. (This can take anything from 5 min to 3 hours just to get it to work) I feel cheated out of my time trying to fix things that I just want to work

I have 2 network cards in my computer and I have USB adsl modem which I use to connect to the internet.
I also have a netgear router so that I can share my internet connection through a lan cable to the routers internet port so that there is wireless internet access for the laptop.
So...

The first lan cable go from pc to "internet" port on router to share internet through router.
The second lan cable go from pc to router and that is also where my MVP's lan cable is plugged in to connect the two.

Can anybody please give suggestions as to how to fix the problem?

I also have an old switch lying around, would it be better to connect my 1 lan cable from my pc to the switch and also run the mvp through the switch?

Is it adviseable to set the ip adress for the ethernet card manually and what should the values be?

Any help greatly appreciated.

*edit* I dont have any firewall, antivirus or router built in firewall enabled and still having the same problem

Last edited by smousie; 11-27-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does your DSL modem have an ethernet port on it? When I had DSL, the modem had both usb and ethernet ports. If it does, plug your router's internet connection into the DSL modem's ethernet port and remove the usb crap.

-Polen
Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Sage User

no unfortunateley not
I have to have the modem connected with usb cause there is no ethernet socket on the modem.
BTW is there any way to make sure the sagetv server is actually running and trying to send commands to the mvp?
Also is there a way that I can tell sagetv which ethernet adaptor to use? Could it be that sagetv is sending the signal to the wrong ethernet adapter?

Last edited by smousie; 11-27-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

I think what is happening is your SageTV server is binding to your internet IP instead of your private IP. I'm not sure how or if it's posible to force SageTV Server to use a specific nic or IP.

Can anyone chime in if this is posible?

-Polen
Old 11-27-2007, 01:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Try adding this line to you sage.properties file (or add you IP address if it is there):

miniserver/forced_server_ip=1.2.3.4

I have a second NIC in my server that is connected directly to an HDHomeRun and the extender was constantly binding to that IP address instead of the correct one. This setting fixed it right up.

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by MeInMaui; 11-27-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Sage Icon

try setting miniserver/forced_server_ip=
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Sage User

Thanx its working for now, dont know if it is the setting I changed or if it is just pot luck but thanx for the help anyway. When you say add my ip if it is there, do u mean I have to manually set a ip address for my network card and add that ip address to the settings file?

Thanx
Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smousie View Post
Thanx its working for now, dont know if it is the setting I changed or if it is just pot luck but thanx for the help anyway. When you say add my ip if it is there, do u mean I have to manually set a ip address for my network card and add that ip address to the settings file?

Thanx
I think he meant, that the line could be there already but with the wrong IP, You want to make sure it's the Private IP of you Server and not the Internet IP.

-Polen
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smousie View Post
I have 2 network cards in my computer and I have USB adsl modem which I use to connect to the internet.
I also have a netgear router so that I can share my internet connection through a lan cable to the routers internet port so that there is wireless internet access for the laptop.
So...

The first lan cable go from pc to "internet" port on router to share internet through router.
The second lan cable go from pc to router and that is also where my MVP's lan cable is plugged in to connect the two.

Can anybody please give suggestions as to how to fix the problem?

I also have an old switch lying around, would it be better to connect my 1 lan cable from my pc to the switch and also run the mvp through the switch?

Is it adviseable to set the ip adress for the ethernet card manually and what should the values be?

*edit* I dont have any firewall, antivirus or router built in firewall enabled and still having the same problem
These types of setups make my jaw drop.

1) USB Internet Modem: I hope it's using some form of NAT that gives you some form of hardware firewall. If it was possible I'd replace this with an Ethernet DSL Modem to connect to your router. My hair is standing on end just thinking about your current connection.

2) Internet Sharing, routing into a NAT and looping back into a second NIC... it may work, but... what a diagnostic nightmare.

If you keep this setup then the first NIC (local WAN) has it's IP set by the Internet Sharing bridging protocol form the OS. The second NIC (local LAN) should have a fixed IP, in the same range as your router but outside the DHCP pool.

The router is providing Network Address Translation and DHCP service, allowing you to connect multiple Ethernet components to a shared Internet connection. If you went to a 'switch' you'd need to provide those services from the PC.

<<shiver>>
Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 AM
Sage User

Roflmao @ your hair standing up.
Yeah I know its not the best setup a guy can wish for but hey, thats what I got. I know for a fact that my setup can be "adjusted" or "setup" so everything is working all the time.

Thanx for all the help, I will post back any changes and hopefully this thread will help a few other people who also have 2 nics in their pc's.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

Could always replace the router you have now with a USB router, like the Draytek Vigor 2200. Lets you plug the USB ADSL into the router directly, then all your PC's into it, so you can get the modem off your PC.