SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Setting start and end on a recording

I am posting this here because I am pretty sure it is not there by default.

What I am looking for is an easy way to set a start and end point on a recording.
Here's what happens: everything I record has a padding of at least 5 minutes at start and beginning because tv stations are very sloppy starting shows in time.

So what I end up with is a show with a couple of minutes of whatever came before it and a couple of extra minutes at the end.

Is there some customization that lets you somehow set the actual beginning and ending of a show? So it starts and ends where I want it whenever I watch it again?

I'm using SageMC.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Sage Expert

My Local News on NBC starts a full minute ahead of the clock. I have to pad the favorite and always rewind to get the beginning.

If it was verified that a station's Network Clock always had an offset, it would be cool to have an option to adjust that in the EPG setup. Of course, this is a pipe dream. It would wreck havoc by creating recording conflicts.

Though it would be just as cool if someone added another field to the Favorites section (similar to the SageMC field to ignore commercial skip data) and this field could specify a fixed offset start-time within the recording for playback.

Just a thought.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Is there some customization that lets you somehow set the actual beginning and ending of a show? So it starts and ends where I want it whenever I watch it again?
My webserver plugin allows you to edit the show info for recordings to reset the show duration, and the file start offset to match the true start/length of the show.

The Video edit plugin (along with VideoRedo) allows you to mark the start and end in Sage, then use VideoRedo to cut-edit the file to remove the unwanted sections.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
My webserver plugin allows you to edit the show info for recordings to reset the show duration, and the file start offset to match the true start/length of the show.

The Video edit plugin (along with VideoRedo) allows you to mark the start and end in Sage, then use VideoRedo to cut-edit the file to remove the unwanted sections.

Cool I'll try that!
Do I need to convert my files to be able to set the offset?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Changing start time totally messes up the timecoding of the file, making it unplayable

known bug?

I even suspect it messed up a new recording I hadn't even touched....is this possible? I have a file of about 20 minutes, 500MB big, but when I start it the time counter is all over the place and the file only plays for a couple of seconds.

Something similar happened to a file a changed the startpoint of...
Old 12-02-2007, 04:39 AM
SageTVaholic

It shouldnt mess up the files timecoding. All it does it rename the file, reset the file's last modified date, and reset some Sage DB information...
Neither of which modify the file's contents... Sage will see the modified file as 'new' and rescan it for duration information...

It certainly should not mess up newly recorded files, nor any other files for that matter, nor should it mess up the playback in that way.

Try rebooting... you could also try triggering Sage to rescan the length again (edit show info, check 'Edit File info' and update).