SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Sage User

HD-100 for Canadians

Is there any chance that Sage will be able to ship the HD-100 to Canada via USPS and not UPS or FedEx. Especially not UPS. We are looking at a potential for $50+ in brokerage fees.

Can all interested Canucks back me up on this one?

-Yannai
Old 11-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'll back you up. I just bought another HD media extender that had a list prices of $179. I have since added $45 for shipping DHL to Canada (International rate!), plus GST/PST plus $7 dollars brokerage, and I still haven't got it because of all they handling delays. The end result is going to be close to $300 US.

The US price for shipping was $16 and the USPS price for shipping this would have only been $20 if it had been allowed.

Martin
Old 11-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
if these are made in the USA, why don't you ask for a NAFTA trade shipping form ? And that will take care of customs.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I bought my Media Entender in Canada (Canada Computers) Although they carry Hauppage Products I doubt they will carry A sage product. But I know the buyer at Canada computers Ill see if he can contact sage to start distubuting them in Canada.

Technazz
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofreak75 View Post
if these are made in the USA, why don't you ask for a NAFTA trade shipping form ? And that will take care of customs.
NAFTA isn't really the question, it's the fees the shipper's charge for filling out the customs paperwork and collecting taxes that get outrageous. Most Canadians that I know have bought something from ebay have been stung using anything but USPS.

Martin
Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 PM

emveepee the HD media extender is not even out so could have not even buy one.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
emveepee the HD media extender is not even out so could have not even buy one.
I did say "another HD media extender", but my example is very relevant. Americans aren't usually aware of the problem and costs with the alternatives ot USPS.

Martin
Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
I bought my Media Entender in Canada (Canada Computers) Although they carry Hauppage Products I doubt they will carry A sage product. But I know the buyer at Canada computers Ill see if he can contact sage to start distubuting them in Canada.

Technazz

Now that would be cool. It would save so much hassle.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:59 PM

I will back you up.

I would be very surprised if this product is made in the USA, but as has been said that doesn't really matter. It is the outrageous brokerage charges.

For example, UPS ground charges about $40 for a shipment $200-300. Since the 'price' they use is typically inclusive of shipping that is what we are looking at. Plus a $5 cod fee. Plus some sort of hidden fee that I understand to be "disbursements" which is UPS speak for bending you over. Plus they will get it all wrong (in their favor) and charge you whatever they feel like. Fedex ground is only marginally better.

A few thoughts though. If you order USPS on Dec 10 I will bet you money won't get it until after x-mas, and most likely not until 2008, if that matters.

But its not just USPS that has a reasonable brokerage charge, any of these will work:
- USPS ($5 brokerage)
- UPS Expedited, UPS Express (free brokerage)
- Fedex air (free brokerage - I am pretty sure but be warned I haven't done this one in ages).

Just don't work:
- UPS Ground
- Fedex Ground

As you can see, either you pay the premium for air service, go with USPS, or get screwed. I am for one expect to be on the website on the 10th, but if the shipping doesn't work I have to wait until it does.

Lawrence
Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM

Much ado about nothing. If you try to buy a SD extender, Sage says they will ship UPS in the US and Air Mail (presumably USPS) outside the US. Although $38 seems a bit pricey I guess we can live with it. (Makes you want to move down south, only $10 on UPS ground).
Old 12-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW View Post
Much ado about nothing. If you try to buy a SD extender, Sage says they will ship UPS in the US and Air Mail (presumably USPS) outside the US. Although $38 seems a bit pricey I guess we can live with it. (Makes you want to move down south, only $10 on UPS ground).
Much ado about nothing ... When you add $40-$50 in fees (that does not account for duties and taxes that we have to accept to pay) in order for UPS, DHL or Fedex to process the shipment with customs, the price of one box is 20-25% more expensive. I doubt most Sage users would find a 20%-25% increase in the price of their box much ado about nothing ... but hey that's just me.

I was going to be asking the same question of Sage before I make my purchase.

There is a couple of ways to avoid this and I hope Sage sits down with UPS to find a solution or find another carrier for Canadians.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:51 PM

I only said much ado about nothing because it seems very likely they will ship USPS just like everyone wants, since that is the way they are currently shipping the SD extenders.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

USPS is definitely the preferred way for shipping from the US to Canada.

I believe that the previous extenders that I purchased came via USPS.

Sage Server: i5-2500K 8 GB DDR, 6000gb HDD, 4xHD-PVR < 4xBell 6141, Win7 x64
Client 1: HD-200, Panasonic 42PX75
Client 2: HD-300, Samsung LCD
Client 3: HD-300, Samsung PN50C550
Client 4: MS Surface Pro
Old 12-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Sage User

I had inquired with orders@sagetv.com re purchasing a standard media extender for shipment to Canada and they confirmed US Postal is used for international (at least Canada). Of course you should verify this yourself prior to or when ordering (i.e. don't blame me if this info is incorrect).

----- Original Message -----
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Sent: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:18:13 -0800
Subject: RE: Delivery with USPS?

XXX,

That's what we use for shipping to Canada.

Thanks,

George Oms
SageTV, LLC
http://www.sagetv.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 6:53 PM
To: orders@sagetv.com
Subject: Delivery with USPS?

Hello,

Will you ship with United States Postal to Canada if requested? I'm looking
at the SageTV Media Extender and trying to keep to brokerage fees down.

Thanks,

XXXXXXXXXXX
Old 12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Sage User

Everything you wanted to know about shipping from US to Canada. Including how much who costs.
http://www.stokecity.ca/orderfromus.shtml
Old 12-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have shipped to Canada many times.
For the shipper, at times UPS is half the cost of EMS via USPS
BUT
the customs/duty/GST/PST/Etc. mounts up.

When I ship USPS's EMS
Most of the time, 6 out of 10, no extra charges when delivered.
BUT
I have to do it person to person & gift.

Ray
Old 12-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Sage User

I back you up on that one. When every I buy from the US I ask for it to be shipped by USPS. Any time someone has shipped by UPS or FedEx then screw me with all these 'extra handling fees'. Please please Sage ship to Canada via USPS.

peter
Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

I buy lots of things from the US via 'courier' and

I buy lots of things from the US via 'courier' (live in Vancouver, BC) and I've found USPS parcel post non expedited the best option (basic insurance included along with a tracking number). I don't need to gift it either nine times out of ten.

UPS, Fedex, DHL, USPS Expedited will all get me nailed for brokerage fees.

It seems that if the parcel is sent fast, customs assumes it needs customs fees and processing.

If the parcel is sent the non expedited (slow) way they tend to assume that custom fees are not needed and no processing.

This means expedited takes longer to arrive as it will be checked by customs and consequently taxed.

Non expedited might be checked (most often not) and makes it here sooner or just as fast most times with no customs fees.

You pay for faster and it costs you more and more and more ... and arrives at the same time ...

Bobby
SageTV Server: Windows 7 64Bit, Phenom II X6 1090T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3), ATI Radeon HD 4290, 2 x KHX1600C9D3/4GX, 4 x HD-PVR2 Gaming, , 4 x 320GB recording drives, 2 x USB-UIRT, SageTV Server Beta
SageTV Client & 2 x HD-300 Extender.
40.8TB unRaid 6.6.5 media server
Old 12-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Sage User

The problem is very simple. Only USPS let one declare items as "used personal belongings." UPS and FedEx both classify all shipments as new.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Sage User

Just have to chime in because of my horrible experiences with UPS COD fees.

UPS is flat out running a racket at the border. The shipper is usually unaware of the fees or under the INCORRECT assumption that they are unavoidable customs or duties.

I never order anything "UPS Ground" to Canada.

All other carriers are just fine.

Just my 0.02 CAD$