SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Sage User

Trouble using MediaMVP with wireless bridge

I recently moved into a new house this summer and I am just now getting by Sage setup up and running. My previous setup included a main Sage box connected directly to my TV and a D-Link DI-524 wireless G router. My single MediaMVP was attached to a Buffalo ethernet converter. The MVP would boot up and connect to the Sage box without a problem.

My new setup requires both the HTPC and MVP to connect with cat 5 to the Buffalo ethernet converter and I use the same D-Link router connected to my office PC and cable modem. I cannot get the MVP to connect to the HTPC and load up the Sage interface. The HTPC has a good internet connection through the ethernet converter. My Office PC and HTPC can see each other. The D-Link router can see the MVP. I also have a laptop and iMac both connecting throughout the whole house to the router with no problem. I have assigned static IP addresses to the HTPC, iMac and ethernet converter.

1. Do the wireless security settings make a difference (currently using WPA)?

2. Can the Media MVP and HTPC connect through the ethernet converter (I assume all traffic still needs to go back and forth to the Router)?

3. Does the duplex setting make a differnce (I can't figure out how to change this on the Buffalo converter)?

I know this is a long post, but it seems like I'm missing something easy and, as you know, its very frustrating.

Thanks in advance. Matt.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:46 PM
Sage Expert

I don't have a Buffalo so decided to google the thing to see what it looked like, and found this on the Buffalo website:
Quote:
Regrettably, the Court of Appeals has decided not to stay the injunction in the CSIRO v. Buffalo et al litigation during the appeal period. Although Buffalo is confident that the final decision in the appeal will be favorable and that the injunction will be lifted, Buffalo is presently unable to supply wireless LAN equipment compliant with IEEE 802.11a and 802.11g standards in the United States until that decision is issued. Click here for additional information.
So, probably the same support level as buying from the black market. Nice.

1. Wireless security settings are on a different 'level', and once configured are invisible to Ethernet traffic. You can check this by dropping encryption on both devices and test for differences. Encryption usually slows traffic as it's converted to and fro and 'usually' has no other effect on the data itself.
2. According to the literature, the Ethernet Converter has a "built-in four port switch, up to 4 devices can be simultaneously connected." Traffic destined for another device on the 'switch' goes direct between devices.
3. Duplex setting can be set on a PC, but usually not on a smart appliance as the Buffalo Ethernet Converter.
But an issue I have seen is where a SWITCH allows PORTS to autoconfigure for straight or crossover cables but doesn't allow traffic to pass consistently. If you can connect to the Internet using the cable then it's fine, otherwise try another cable.

Suggestions:

Disconnect the MPV and connect the cable to a laptop (wireless off) and test to make sure the cable works with your HTPC also connected, you get a DHCP address, can connect to the net, can connect to the HTPC.
Test using the MVP Hauppauge Software on your HTPC (SageTV closed). If it works then this is a SageTV/MPV boot issue. Unplug the MPV for half to a whole hour and test again with SageTV HTPC.
If the above fails, set it up in the same configuration before (where it worked) and test it. Then make your adjustments.

Last edited by Conejo; 12-01-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Sage Expert

From BroadbandReports.com Forums > Equipment Support > Hardware By Brand > Buffalo Tech
Quote:
Buffalo Tech Support responded with the following explanation of v2.53 - - "The main purpose of the update was to fix intermittent issues with packets passing properly to replay-tv, tivo, and other such devices."
So it could be a firmware issue. Wouldn't be the first time a 'Switch or Hub' on a device had problems passing data.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Sage User

Same network segment

If you're loading the MVP firmware via TFTP (the normal process), the MVP has to be in the same network segment as your DHCP and TFTP servers.