SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Sage User

How Do I connect my Pc to my Component Input HDTV?

I want to set up a Sage system. I have a PC with a Win-tv 1800. I want to set up the system in my living room where I have a projection HD Tv. It only accepts component inputs for HD. It has an Svideo input but I want the higher resolution of component video.

Do I need to buy a special video card or do I need an adapter of some type?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2007, 05:27 PM
SageTVaholic

You need a graphics card that supports HD out via component or HDMI. If your TV lacks an HDMI input, then component out is what you need. Most HD-capable graphics cards come with a dongle that plugs into the card's backplate and breaks out the three separate RCA connectors for the component output.

If you're using a generic off-the-shelf PC with onboard graphics, then you probably don't have HD-out capability and will need to add a separate graphics card for that purpose. Hard to say for sure without knowing what you have.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

What is your current video card?

If it is more than about 2 years old you may need an upgrade. Sounds like you have an older HDTV? Putting an older HDTV with an older video card very seldom comes out with a proper picture on the HDTV (overscan, underscan, refresh rates with black screen only common). There are tools and workarounds to compensate for most on these issues, but trust me, you'd rather spend $100 bucks on a new card which is more likely to be able to output a "more native" HDTV signal than the older cards that were designed primarily to output on CRTs.

Make sure you don't have a DVI input on the TV. DVI keeps the signal digital and will likely give you better results than the DVI -> Dongle -> Component route.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Sage User

I have this same issue. I have a Nvideo 7600gt video card with DVI out and I need to convert to Component RGB to display on my Toshiba CRT RPTV HDTV. Anyone now any solutions for this delima?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Sage Icon

The 7600GT should have come with a dongle that plugs into the back of the card and breaks out to connect at least component and probably S-video.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 AM
Sage User

No dongle, just a DVI to VGA adaptor. I have a DVI to RGB cable, but have not gotten it to work yet. I have been reading all over over the web and found a few things to try. One is to set the resolution on the card to 480,720, or 1080. I will try that after work today. I sure I am not the first person to try and do this and thought some one here could help. Thanks!