SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Sage User

New WHS Hardware w/Sage

I'm thinking about moving Sage to WHS, but I am wondering whether the following hardware is adequate for Sage to operate. I've done a bit of research, so I shouldn't be far off. I'll list piece by piece. I'm planning to run to extenders, and I would want capability to transcode one stream to MediaMVP, and run comskip as well. Other streams would be to one or two HDExtenders. Input to Sage is 2 digital OTA from an HDHR, and one analog stream from a Hauppauge card(I think PVR150).

Motherboard Asus P5E-VM DO 6 SATA 3.0 Gb ports, on board video, will run without keyboard or monitor once set up.
CPU Intel Dual-Core E2180 Is this enough CPU? Picked due to low power consumption, and price.
Case & PS Antec NSK4480B w/ 380W Power Already purchased.
RAM GeIL Value Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Is there value in two sticks with this MB?

I may post over in the Microsoft WHS forum as well, in case they have any comments on suitability for WHS. I know this is overkill for just WHS, but I'm thinking Sage will add to CPU needs. I would have built on an old PC, but I just sent a system to my brother and I have little hardware left for another system.

For those wondering, here are my resons for moving to WHS:
1. backup capability for in house PCs (3), 2 that I care about.
2. backup capability for digital photos, and home video.
3. I like the pain and suffering of changing a system that is currently running perfectly.
4. Frees up one PC for other uses.
5. I expect to save 30-50 W of power (hopefully, but only converts to $15-$20/year). Cheap power in TN.

Comments appreciated, Craig

Disclaimer: I showed links to Newegg becuase they list good specs on each piece, not becuase I will buy from Newegg. (Although I might)
Old 01-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Sage User

Cool

Hello Craig,
How did your endevour with WHS and Sage work out? I am following in your footsteps as I have 4 pc's plus a deadhead XP box that is presently being used for my Movies/pictures/music and running Sage as well. I have picked up a used Dell 1.8G w/512M of ram to use as my WHS box. I have 2 500G SATA hard drives installed and ready in the case. Now if only Microsoft would send me my 120 Day eval disks so that I can start playing. I too leave my server on 24/7 and enjoy this cheap TN electricity.

Carl in Chattanooga