SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Sage User

Still confused about which license to get

I read throught the product descriptions and FAQ's, but after talking with a friend who uses Sage, I am now more confused to which version I need.

I am moving from MythTV where I had 1 PC that did everything (frontend and backend) and hooked it up to 1 Television.

I am trying to emulate the same thing. i have 1 PC that has 3 tuner cards and I want that Pc to host all the data and display it to 1 single PC.

My understanding was I would still need the server and client.

The friend told me all I would need is the server???

Then when I start looking at the placeshifter, is that the client? or is their a difference between the client and placeshifter?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

For one PC connected directly to a TV, all you need is SageTV Media Center (what your friend is calling the server). This includes both a front end (UI) and a back end (database & recording engine).

If you have additional TVs, you can use Sage on them in four different ways:

1. A PC running SageTVClient.
2. A PC running SageTV Placeshifter. (See the FAQ for the differences between Placeshifter and Client.)
3. A SageTV Media Extender aka Hauppauge MediaMVP.
4. An STX-HD100 High Definition extender (to be released on Monday).

Search the forums on any of those terms for more info. But for now all you need is the basic Media Center software with no additional clients.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
All you will need is the SageTV Media Center if you are only wanting to use 1 PC for everything.

Placeshifter is mainly used for access to sagetv across the internet.

Miller
Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Sage User

Thank you

exactly what i was looking for! I think I will start my conversion this weekend. I've been with MythTV for about 4 years, hoping Sage is the answer. Myth has too many missing plugins. Seems myth would always give you just enough of what you want and then nothing more unless you were magic.....

Want a new Theme, design it yourself or wait 3 years. Want Apple trailers, just edit these 3 different files, download these source, recomplile, yadda yadda yadda.

Sorry off my rant now. Thanks again for the verification.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkeebler View Post
exactly what i was looking for! I think I will start my conversion this weekend. I've been with MythTV for about 4 years, hoping Sage is the answer. Myth has too many missing plugins. Seems myth would always give you just enough of what you want and then nothing more unless you were magic.....

Want a new Theme, design it yourself or wait 3 years. Want Apple trailers, just edit these 3 different files, download these source, recomplile, yadda yadda yadda.

Sorry off my rant now. Thanks again for the verification.
this is why I haven't tried MythTV. As much as I love Linux, too much is required to be done by yourself. Not what I am looking for.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

I've tried both MythTV and Linux MCE before moving to SageTV. After 2 months of messing around with lines of code, repo's, forum support, hardware support, and faulty drivers, and having to reboot every couple of days when something decides not to work, I decided it was time to pay up for a propper product.
24 hours later, windows was installed, and sage was running with only a couple of tweaks required to work perfectly.
It's been running none stop for a month with no problems to speak of