SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Sage User

Angry HD Extender should work in Europe

While reading through the threads on this forum, I noticed that the HD Extender is only available in the US/Canada.

Why is that? I don't see any technical reason for this restriction. HDMI and Component outputs are the same in Europe as in the US. Voltage is not an issue, because one of the pictures clearly shows the extender supports both 110V and 220/230V at 50/60Hz.

The only possible issue is the power plug, which may be US-only, but that can be easily fixed by using an adapter plug.

Anyway, I want one.

* merged *
Old 12-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Sage Icon

Its an RoHS issue. It doesn't have the RoHS certification for being lead-free.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROHS

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

I love some of these rules.

I'm sure its a lot less dangerous than the lead water pipes coming into my house, unless I decide to eat one.....

Patience is a virtue though, apparently.

In all honesty though, I really should get an HDTV first, then we need to get some actual HD channels over here, and then I'd think of getting one. We're a good few years behind everyone else on HD as usual!

(knowing the UK we'd adopt a different standard to the rest of the world!)
Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
In all honesty though, I really should get an HDTV first, then we need to get some actual HD channels over here, and then I'd think of getting one. We're a good few years behind everyone else on HD as usual!

(knowing the UK we'd adopt a different standard to the rest of the world!)
Europe has agreed to use DVB-S2 (MPEG2 or H264) for HD content (over satellite anyway), so I don't think there will be any standardization issues (in fact, BBC HD currently uses MPEG2 over DVB-S2).

The primary reason for getting the HD extender now is to be able to connect it to a HD TV and still have decent image quality.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Here in Norway some providers on cable have started sending HD over DVB-C. Nearly all are going for 1080i H.264. I have myself 4 channels with 1080i H.264 over DVB-C. I usually manage to display them on my work/client PC at home. Aaaaand was looking forward to trying this on the HD Extender...

Satellite providers in Norway are up on DVB-S2 with H.264 HD. On DVB-T we are just up and running on H.264 also, but no HD yet, only SD. Because of bandwith.

So yeah, it has been slow. But we are finally getting some HD at least.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Sage Icon

I'm just curious as i am not up to speed on RoHS compliance: Is it only manufacturers/distributors that this is a requirement for or for any private shipments by individuals as well?

Juc
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

George at SageTV sent me an email this morning. He says that they are actively working on RoHS complience. He says that he hopes that the next batch that they take delivery of are RoSH complient but he can't guarantee it. So, I am going to wait. I'm sure we'll come unstuck some where along the line if we try and 'Grey Import' them. George, being the clever guy that he is, has not given any dates but I suspect we are talking a few weeks rather than months or years.

I am concerned that if we 'Grey Import' we may end up paying more than if we just wait (double shipping, paypal costs and the risk of HM C&E taking their pound of flesh). We also risk annoying Sage, who could withhold support and guaratees for these Grey products.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by activa View Post
Europe has agreed to use DVB-S2 (MPEG2 or H264) for HD content (over satellite anyway), so I don't think there will be any standardization issues (in fact, BBC HD currently uses MPEG2 over DVB-S2).

The primary reason for getting the HD extender now is to be able to connect it to a HD TV and still have decent image quality.
BBC HD is H.264 over DVB-S at the moment.

Still not received an e-mail cancelling my order

Whitey
Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
BBC HD is H.264 over DVB-S at the moment.
Thats 1 of the 2 HD channels I can get, but my PC doesn't do a very good job at playing them back

The other is Luxe TV HD which started up on 3rd December (sky unencrypted), but why anyone would want to watch it is beyond me!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC View Post
Is it only manufacturers/distributors that this is a requirement for or for any private shipments by individuals as well?
I don't know the legality of individuals shipping such things.

But, in terms of this forum, any such posts will be removed as violations of the ban on buy/sell/trade/service offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Still not received an e-mail cancelling my order
At this point, any orders placed to ship outside the US or Canada are pretty much guaranteed to be cancelled, since the ship-to address will be obvious. If an email was sent, maybe it is sitting in a junk mail folder.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I don't know the legality of individuals shipping such things.

But, in terms of this forum, any such posts will be removed as violations of the ban on buy/sell/trade/service offers.

- Andy

obviously and agreed.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Sage User

I can't believe the Sage TV are not shipping outside the US and Canada - You guys have had lots of time to sort out any issues and surely you must realise that your customer base extends outside of these countries.

If I had not read these posts I would be none the wiser and still be counting the days to the HD extenders delivery.

Poor show guys!!!! Thanks for the Chrismas present....
Old 02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Sage User

HD Extender and a friend in US

Hi!

I have a girlfriend in US. If i order one to here house, and she ship it of to me, would it work for me here in Norway? ( with a adapter for the power cord obviously)

Thanks

Anders
Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersgh View Post
Hi!

I have a girlfriend in US. If i order one to here house, and she ship it of to me, would it work for me here in Norway? ( with a adapter for the power cord obviously)

Thanks

Anders
Yes, the input voltage for the hd100 is 110-240v 50/60hz.

I'm not sure the type of plug Norway has but, if it is different, then all you need is an adapter and not a step-down converter.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Good news: RoHS compliance thread
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) JavaRE 1.6.0_37 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) Win7 x64 Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz 16GB PC3-10600 ECC ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) APC Back-UPS RS 800 STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000