SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD Extender wireless solutions thread

Now that the HD extender is nearly here, and wireless N is here, I thought I would start a thread that is dedicated to getting wireless working with the HD extender.

Right now I use a client with a dedicated network using a Netgear RangeMax 240 and a Linksys SRX PCI card. Both use the same high speed chipset and can connect at 240mbps rate. I can get a constant 35mbps over this connection with dropouts very rare. As I switch to the HD extender, the PCI card will no longer work so I am searching for solutions.

Post your wireless extender solutions here and lets get a good informative thread going.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Apple Airport Extreme can do wireless N WDS OOB including bridging. Otherwise, find a router on the approved list for DD-WRT.

B
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 PM
SageTVaholic

I think a pair of these will do the trick.

These are made by our sister company. They actually used one of these links (or a similar one) to wirelessly send HD video from a remote location for the Superbowl broadcast a few years ago. The only down side is they are a bit large and somewhat pricey.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I can just see one of these in my office next to the Sage server, one in the family room, and one in the bedroom. I bet if I hung the wet laundry on them it would dry quicker. The kids could also use them to cook their own hotdogs.

Lots of things I could do with these. Thanks Mike.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Sage Expert

The Dlink DAP-1555 MediaBridge is supposed to bridge with any wireless-N router; if you've already got a wireless-N solution, you may only need to buy this one.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=570
Old 11-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Sage Icon

Question Wireless but not question??

Anyone ever try the Netgear Powerline HD Ethernet Adapter (HDX101) with Sage?

Supports 200mbps speed ... and QoS for Video ...

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...rs/HDX101.aspx

http://www.netgear.com/upload/second...ison_chart.pdf

Thoughts?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

The powerline adapters never worked for me. It didn't even come close even when put in the same room.

Actually, my brother uses those 60 and 80 Ghz Gigabit wireless links in his company too. They work really well but are ~$15K
Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do any of these N products actually work reliably? Are we out of the teething problems that we had with Draft N and on to ones that actually work? Does anyone use any of these N products for the clients?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 AM
SageTVaholic

I am reliably using the Apple products in clients' homes.

B
Old 11-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Sage Icon

I plan on getting the D-Link DIR-855 when it's available, problem is, it doesn't look like they are working on a compatible (dual-band) Ethernet extender.

I currently have a WRT54G and a Buffalo Ethernet Extender. Currently, this is just giving the HTPC an internet connection, and there are currently no clients (was using the Ethernet extender for our bedroom MVP, but since this new house isn't wired, had to swap duties around).

Anyway, I was hoping to use something like this, because wiring a 2-story house is not going to happen.

My plan is to relocate the HTPC to the study, get it on the DIR-855 gigabit switch with the study computer, then have the HD extender in the living room, and eventually add one to the bedroom, then at some point, put the MVP up in the game room.

There is a possibility that I could run Ethernet in just a few places, such as the study, and maybe the game room, if I can get around a few things. The master bedroom would also be an option, since nothing is above it. The hard part would be getting one to the living room, since it would be on an outside wall, although I plan on running surround speaker wiring that way, so why not throw in another Cat 5e cable while I'm at it...

Hmm...if I do all that, guess I won't need wireless...but it would be a lot less work on my end.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99 View Post
The Dlink DAP-1555 MediaBridge is supposed to bridge with any wireless-N router; if you've already got a wireless-N solution, you may only need to buy this one.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=570
Ah, that looks interesting, similar to an Ethernet Extender like I was talking about. This says it's dual band, but there appears to be two types of dual band devices, one that can use one or the other, and then another that uses both bands at the same time...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Sage Expert

Take a look at the manual; I believe if you have two of them, you'll get complete dual-band usage. If you only have one, I think it acts as a bridge over one or the other.

I could be wrong.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does anybody else have any experience with the powerline solutions? The official reviews were positive, but I don't know how representative they are.

Edit: It looks like the Linksys powerline adapter got good but not consistently good reviews at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending

Last edited by fyodor; 11-28-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Sage Expert

Bite the bullet guys, get up in the attic and string some CAT6 cable.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

My fiance would beat me like a drum if she found ethernet cables all over the house.

Has anybody heard anything about the coaxial bridge technologies? This advertises 128mbits/s

http://www.newtechindustries.com/new...ge_to_coax.htm
Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
My fiance would beat me like a drum if she found ethernet cables all over the house.
I just dropped Cat 5e cables from down the wall from my attic right along side the existing cable drops. Then it was just a matter of replacing the cable connector wall plate with a modular wall plate with ethernet and cable connectors installed. It was easy and the result is very clean. Best of all, I now have gigabit ethernet wired throughout the house.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy View Post
Bite the bullet guys, get up in the attic and string some CAT6 cable.
Tough in a two story house with no basement. I could drill a couple of holes in the hardy plank and string it outside, or I could stay wireless. Hmmm, tough call.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyodor View Post
Does anybody else have any experience with the powerline solutions? The official reviews were positive, but I don't know how representative they are.

Edit: It looks like the Linksys powerline adapter got good but not consistently good reviews at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending
I tried the Netgear solution and got no joy. It worked fine in the same room, but two rooms over, I got like 2MB. I've heard that newer houses (for some reason) are less likely to have consistent connections than older houses.

Stu
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Like I said before, I had no luck with either the 85mbit powerline, and the 240mbit powerline. My house is 2200 sqft built in 2000. The 85mbit version worked better for me by far. The 240 would not even establish a connection in the same place. The connection would peak at 20mbit, but was all over the place and could not maintain a good link, especially not one as reliable as a HD stream needs. Wait, I still have that damn 85mbit version...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Has anyone had any luck with the Auragrid Home Network Extension Kit? http://www.smarthome.com/6404k.html

Clients: 2 HD Extenders